U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM

19,869 posts, read 14,745,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For myself the most desirable country would be Malaysia. But that is personal choice.
Malaysia might be fine for you but they have issues with extremist there too. Might not fit so well with a Agnostic such as my self.

http://wwwarc.murdoch.edu.au/publications/wp/wp154.pdf

The US and perhaps Canada are the only two countries that come to mind where Muslims and non-Muslims are getting along. This is debatable to, but within my family we get along fine.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-27-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,308,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Malaysia might be fine for you but they have issues with extremist there too. Might not fit so well with a Agnostic such as my self.

http://wwwarc.murdoch.edu.au/publications/wp/wp154.pdf

The US and perhaps Canada are the only two countries that come to mind where Muslims and non-Muslims are getting along. This is debatable to, but within my family we get along fine.
I agree with you. I am almost on the Canadian Border and have no problems with Canada.

As an agnostic I think you will have even more problems than I face, especially in any country were a single religious denomination is dominate. I would not advise you to rent an apartment in Vatican City.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
And you know this, how?

Further, people have no full disclosure from your absentee God to make this wondrous choice. Are we to make it blindly?

Hard to pick door 1 or door 2 when you do not know what is behind either.
Rather unjust I would say.

Regards
DL
The book of scripture I place my trust in is the Qur'an. We do not believe it to be a new message, it is the very same message that had been revealed to all the Prophets(PBUT) of the past. Mankind has always managed to corrupt, misinterpret and distort the message, so God(swt) in his mercy sent it one final time and this is our last chance to keep it right.

My belief in the Qur'an stems from my belief in God(swt) I always had strong belief in the existence of God(swt) even during the 65 years before Islam found me. The Qur'an is the fulfillment of my belief in the existence of God(swt)

As for full disclosure. One is not required to achieve perfection. We are judged on what we do in accordance with our ability. We carry no blame for what we do not know, unless the reason we do not know is we never choose to search for answers. Life is all about learning. It is our responsibility to seek truth and verify what we find. Our duty is in making the sincere effort to search for the truth.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM

A thought from another thread.

If God(SWT) spoke to all people in the same language does this mean Arabic and Hebrew are dialects of the same language?

This is just a matter of opinion.

In my view Arabic and Hebrew are more like each other than the English Dialect groups are to each other.

As this is awide question and based on my own views I would like to leave this open to other opinions, views and debate.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,994,772 times
Not sure how to phrase this question but Abdus Salam was mentioned in connection with the Higgs Boson. He was Ahmadiyya. I believe that's considered a heretical offshoot by Muslims, but I kind of like the Ahmadis I'm aware of. Him, Yusef Lateef, etc.

Pakistan
Ahmadiyya Muslims get warm welcome in Congress - The Washington Post

So how do Muslims feel about the treatment of Ahmadis in places like Pakistan? Do Muslims generally agree the Ahmadiyya aren't Muslim, as they believe in a post-Muhammad prophet, or is their variety? Are Ahmadis to Islam like Mormonism is to Christianity? Anything I'm way off on here?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not sure how to phrase this question but Abdus Salam was mentioned in connection with the Higgs Boson. He was Ahmadiyya. I believe that's considered a heretical offshoot by Muslims, but I kind of like the Ahmadis I'm aware of. Him, Yusef Lateef, etc.

Pakistan
Ahmadiyya Muslims get warm welcome in Congress - The Washington Post

So how do Muslims feel about the treatment of Ahmadis in places like Pakistan? Do Muslims generally agree the Ahmadiyya aren't Muslim, as they believe in a post-Muhammad prophet, or is their variety? Are Ahmadis to Islam like Mormonism is to Christianity? Anything I'm way off on here?
Technically they are not Muslim as they do not believe Muhammad was the final prophet. In that sense they are like Mormons are to some Christians.

Speaking for myself and a few Muslims that agree with me (we are in the minority) I feel that since they consider themselves as Muslims we should accept them as such, but see them as mistaken about some views.

I believe it is wrong to persecute them for their views and to harm them in any manner. I also believe most Muslims will agree with me on that. Yes the Ahmadis are generally very peaceful.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

An Update on Ahmadiyya

Here is a good link that explains their beliefs. Perhaps most readers can see were they differ from Sunni, Shi'a or Sufi/

AHMADI

Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,657,512 times
Why do the words peace and love not appear anywhere in the Koran?

If Islam is supposed to be such a peace loving religion, explain...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Why do the words peace and love not appear anywhere in the Koran?

If Islam is supposed to be such a peace loving religion, explain...
Somebody has been deceiving you.

And when it is said to them: "Make not mischief on the earth," they say: "We are only Peace-makers."
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #11)

But he who fears from a testator some unjust act or wrong-doing, and thereupon he makes Peace between the parties concerned, there shall be no sin on him. Certainly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #182)

And make not Allah's (Name) an excuse in your oaths against your doing good and acting piously, and making Peace among mankind. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower (i.e. do not swear much and if you have sworn against doing something good then give an expiation for the oath and do good).
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #224)

And their Prophet (Samuel عليه السلام) said to them: Verily! The sign of His kingdom is that there shall come to you At-Tabut (a wooden box), wherein is Sakinah (Peace and reassurance) from your Lord and a remnant of that which Musa (Moses) and Harun (Aaron) left behind, carried by the angels. Verily, in this is a sign for you if you are indeed believers.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #248)

Sakinah does not translate directly into English. It is a word of depth and more like an entire sentence rather then a single word. It carries the thought of "May you be assured of peace"

If you fear a breach between them twain (the man and his wife), appoint (two) arbitrators, one from his family and the other from her's; if they both wish for Peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation. Indeed Allah is Ever All-Knower, Well-Acquainted with all things.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #35)

Except those who join a group, between you and whom there is a treaty (of Peace), or those who approach you with their breasts restraining from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. Had Allah willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they withdraw from you, and fight not against you, and offer you Peace, then Allah has opened no way for you against them.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #90)

You will find others that wish to have security from you and security from their people. Every time they are sent back to temptation, they yield thereto. If they withdraw not from you, nor offer you Peace, nor restrain their hands, take (hold of) them and kill them wherever you find them. In their case, We have provided you with a clear warrant against them.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #91)

And if a woman fears cruelty or desertion on her husband's part, there is no sin on them both if they make terms of Peace between themselves; and making Peace is better. And human inner-selves are swayed by greed. But if you do good and keep away from evil, verily, Allah is Ever Well-Acquainted with what you do.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #128)

Wherewith Allah guides all those who seek His Good Pleasure to ways of Peace, and He brings them out of darkness by His Will unto light and guides them to the Straight Way (Islamic Monotheism).
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #16)

When those who believe in Our Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) come to you, say: "Salamun 'Alaikum" (Peace be on you); your Lord has written (prescribed) Mercy for Himself, so that if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds (by obeying Allah), then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
( سورة الأنعام , Al-Anaam, Chapter #6, Verse #54)

That is Just a quick view of the word peace in the Qur'an. There are more places in the Qur'an it is found. I can provide more if you desire.

Now let us see if we can find the word Love in the Qur'an

This is the Book (the Qur'an), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun [the pious believers of Islamic Monotheism who fear Allah much (abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which He has forbidden) and Love Allah much (perform all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained)].
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #2)

And perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat and whatever of good (deeds that Allah Loves) you send forth for yourselves before you, you shall find it with Allah. Certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what you do.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #110)

And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They Love them as they Love Allah. But those who believe, Love Allah more (than anything else). If only, those who do wrong could see, when they will see the torment, that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is Severe in punishment.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #165)

It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and each and every act of obedience to Allah, etc.) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of Love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masakin (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat ), and gives the Zakat, and who fulfil their covenant when they make it, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and they are Al-Muttaqun (the pious - See V.2:2).
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #177)

And spend in the Cause of Allah (i.e. Jihad of all kinds) and do not throw yourselves into destruction (by not spending your wealth in the Cause of Allah), and do good. Truly, Allah Loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #195)

They ask you concerning menstruation. Say: that is an Adha (a harmful thing for a husband to have a sexual intercourse with his wife while she is having her menses), therefore keep away from women during menses and go not unto them till they are purified (from menses and have taken a bath). And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah has ordained for you (go in unto them in any manner as long as it is in their vagina). Truly, Allah Loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and Loves those who purify themselves (by taking a bath and cleaning and washing thoroughly their private parts, bodies, for their prayers).
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #222)

Beautified for men is the Love of things they covet; women, children, much of gold and silver (wealth), branded beautiful horses, cattle and well-tilled land. This is the pleasure of the present world's life; but Allah has the excellent return (Paradise with flowing rivers) with Him.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #14)

Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم to mankind): "If you (really) Love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah), Allah will Love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #31)

Yes, whoever fulfils his pledge and fears Allah much; verily, then Allah Loves those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious - See V.2:2).
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #76)

By no means shall you attain Al-Birr (piety, righteousness - here it means Allah's Reward, i.e. Paradise), unless you spend (in Allah's Cause) of that which you Love; and whatever of good you spend, Allah knows it well.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #92)

I can give you many more ayyats in the Qur'an that contain the word Love if you wish.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,856,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
An Update on Ahmadiyya

Here is a good link that explains their beliefs. Perhaps most readers can see were they differ from Sunni, Shi'a or Sufi/

AHMADI
Hello Woodrow. The last time I spoke with you, I was rather rude, because I know of Taqqiya, and didn't trust what you were saying. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt today, because I do want to understand. I just posted this to a thread, only to find that thread closed. I would like to post is here for your comment. From a brief look, it appears to me that you are Sunni, is that correct?

Not all muslims are the same, it's complicated with many different factions. The basics are Shi'ites and Sunni's. Once you understand the difference between those two, you are way ahead of most ignorant Americans. I am working on this as we speak, but I can tell you this much. Sunni extremists believe they should honor the Quran by staying in the 16th century, no schools, no false idols. Sunni Islam is closely tied to Arab culture. Wahhabis are Sunni's. Sunni's believe secular, tolerant muslims, such as Shi'ites are not real muslims and can be killed along with infidels.
Sunni's far outnumber Shi'ites. Shi'ites are Syria and Iran.

If I've over simplified that, I would welcome clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or