U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,005,156 times

Advertisements

Since there are very few of us on City-Data, as an Ismaili Muslim I would be more then happy to answer questions from folks who want to learn more about my denomination.

To give you a quick overview, Ismailis have three sub-denomination and I belong to the Nizari branch. We have a hereditary Imam who is our religious leader (similar to a Pope but not elected). Unlike other Muslims, we pray three times a day as opposed to five and we don't face Mecca when we pray (as far as I know).

Also, it is explicitly forbidden for women in our community to wear a burkha or niqab, although it is permissible for women to cover their heads as a sign of respect and modesty similar to the woman on the left with her garment being just a little bit higher (on the crown area):

NOTE: This picture is for an example only and yes, I know she is a Hindu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Since there are very few of us on City-Data, as an Ismaili Muslim I would be more then happy to answer questions from folks who want to learn more about my denomination.

To give you a quick overview, Ismailis have three sub-denomination and I belong to the Nizari branch. We have a hereditary Imam who is our religious leader (similar to a Pope but not elected). Unlike other Muslims, we pray three times a day as opposed to five and we don't face Mecca when we pray (as far as I know).

Also, it is explicitly forbidden for women in our community to wear a burkha or niqab, although it is permissible for women to cover their heads as a sign of respect and modesty similar to the woman on the left with her garment being just a little bit higher (on the crown area):

NOTE: This picture is for an example only and yes, I know she is a Hindu.
As salamu alaikum ahki

Pleased to have you here RedRage.

Inshallah you will Join in. I understand that many consider you as being Shi'i. Do you consider yourself as such or do you feel Nizari are different from Shi'a?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As salamu alaikum ahki

Pleased to have you here RedRage.

Inshallah you will Join in. I understand that many consider you as being Shi'i. Do you consider yourself as such or do you feel Nizari are different from Shi'a?
Wa alaykumu salāmu! We belong to the Shi'a branch (sect) and follow the Jaffari (Imam Jaffar al-Sadiq) aspect of Islamic jurisprudence. I do consider myself to be Muslim and a Shi'a as we believe in Allah and accept Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as well as the Prophets before him as messengers of Allah.

BTW, what's the significance of your user name, I always wondered that?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,698 times
Assalamu'alaikum Wr. Wb.
Hi, I'm a muslimah from Indonesia and quite new here. I'm interested in learning more about Ishma'ili, since I've never heard of that in my country. Could you explain why there are only three prayers (salat) instead of five?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shei-Shei View Post
Assalamu'alaikum Wr. Wb.
Hi, I'm a muslimah from Indonesia and quite new here. I'm interested in learning more about Ishma'ili, since I've never heard of that in my country. Could you explain why there are only three prayers (salat) instead of five?
Saalam! The reason is that our Imam has decreed that our prayers should be recited once in the mornings and twice in the evenings. Also, I'm not a 100% sure but I believe in the Qu'ran it says that prayers are to be offered three times as opposed to five which I believe is done due to the sunnah.

I also believe that the three prayers is also due to the later Shia practice of combining the five regular prayers into three prayer sessions.

This is strictly for Nizari's as I am not sure about the other sub-denominations.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Wa alaykumu salāmu! We belong to the Shi'a branch (sect) and follow the Jaffari (Imam Jaffar al-Sadiq) aspect of Islamic jurisprudence. I do consider myself to be Muslim and a Shi'a as we believe in Allah and accept Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as well as the Prophets before him as messengers of Allah.

BTW, what's the significance of your user name, I always wondered that?
The LI after my name stands for 2 things. It stands for Lakotah Indian as I live among mostly Lakotah and my wife is Cheyenne. I consider myself to be related to the Lakotah and to a large extent follow the Red Road to the extent that is Halal. I belong to several Native American forums and the initials have become sort of a trade mark for me.

The letters also stand for Load Islam the original name of a forum I am an Administrator on. I began using it as my user name on every forum I joined in the past 5 years. Up until then I used, Woodrow, Woodrowx and Woodrowx2

The Woodrow in my name is my original birth name. The Name I use in life is Abdullah Muhammad.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The LI after my name stands for 2 things. It stands for Lakotah Indian as I live among mostly Lakotah and my wife is Cheyenne. I consider myself to be related to the Lakotah and to a large extent follow the Red Road to the extent that is Halal. I belong to several Native American forums and the initials have become sort of a trade mark for me.

The letters also stand for Load Islam the original name of a forum I am an Administrator on. I began using it as my user name on every forum I joined in the past 5 years. Up until then I used, Woodrow, Woodrowx and Woodrowx2

The Woodrow in my name is my original birth name. The Name I use in life is Abdullah Muhammad.
Interesting. I feel bad because I was thinking, "Why would a Muslim have a name as Woodrow?" Stupid on my part...

Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,850,497 times
Quote:
Interesting. I feel bad because I was thinking, "Why would a Muslim have a name as Woodrow?" Stupid on my part...
not at all, I thought Woodrow was an odd name for a Muslim.
Why would you call yourself RedRage? That sounds hostile.

I am of the impression that Shi'ite is better than Sunni, because Shia believe in progress, education, development, technology to improve the standards of living etc. Countries like Libya and Iran are, or were, highly advanced compared to most Muslim countries. Iraq was a beautiful environment, prior to our invasion.
Whereas the Sunni don't believe in development.

Right/wrong, somewhere in between?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

I am of the impression that Shi'ite is better than Sunni, because Shia believe in progress, education, development, technology to improve the standards of living etc. Countries like Libya and Iran are, or were, highly advanced compared to most Muslim countries. Iraq was a beautiful environment, prior to our invasion.

I think too many people look at The Arabian Desert countries and North Africa too much as being stereotypical of Islam. The Arab nations are in a very hostile environment with small populations and are not very conducive for industrialization. The dependency has become on oil production which in turn has rendered the land almost useless for other development.

While virtually every Arab is Sunni and seem to be the Western view of Muslims, less than 15% of the world's Muslims are Arab. Some developed Sunni Nations are Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Dubai, and contrary to popular belief, Saudi Arabia which is very industrialized in spite of nearly 85% of it being uninhabitable desert.

One example of industrialization in Saudi can be seen HERE

Of the word's 20 most industrialized nations 3 (Saudi, Turkey & Indonesia) are Sunni. see HERE

Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

RedRage is because I attend UH and our school's color is red and the rage is to symbolize football prowess (which we lack right now).

I don't think its so much that Sunni's don't believe in development as much as historical events (e.g. post-colonialism, lack of leadership in the Arab world), economic crises, and a rise in power of fundamentalism via Saudi backing that contributes to the savagery we see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or