U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times

Advertisements

OK Woody, here is a question.

It seems to me that many Christians get a great deal of comfort from their belief that their saviour Jesus is looking out for them. They look to Jesus to guide them throughout their lives. In short, they feel very close to their god and to Jesus.

Do Muslims get the same comfort from your god? Do you feel that the spirit of Mohammed is always helping you in your lives?

When Christians face difficulties in their lives, they often ask themselves, "What would Jesus do?"

Do you ever ask, "What would Mohammed do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK Woody, here is a question.

It seems to me that many Christians get a great deal of comfort from their belief that their saviour Jesus is looking out for them. They look to Jesus to guide them throughout their lives. In short, they feel very close to their god and to Jesus.

Do Muslims get the same comfort from your god? Do you feel that the spirit of Mohammed is always helping you in your lives?

When Christians face difficulties in their lives, they often ask themselves, "What would Jesus do?"

Do you ever ask, "What would Mohammed do?"
To remove one misconception we do not worship Muhammad(PBUH). Muhammad(PBUH) is a man and has no more power than any other man. He can not forgive our sins nor reach down and comfort us.

We take great comfort in Allaah(swt) alone. We need no other to ask for help or for us to worship. Only Allaah(swt) can forgive us our sins and we take comfort in the path he has given us to follow. We need only surrender to Allaah(swt) and trust in his fairness and infinite mercy. We know he will reward us far greater that we deserve and never punish us beyond what we deserve.

Allaah(swt) gave us the path that leads to Jannah (Heaven) it is our responsibility alone to follow that path, if we choose not to follow, so be it, we pursed what we desired and the results are of our own making.

when one submits to allaah(swt) and lets him be the only one in control our life, there is nothing to fear and we know we will never face any challenge with out being given the strength to handle it. there is much comfort in knowing Allaah(swt) is in full control of all things.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM

56,211 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is very much in violation of Islamic teachings. Just one reason some Muslims do not consider the Shi'i to be Muslim. But most of use feel that since they do follow the 5 pillars of faith, we have to call them our Brothers, although very misguided Brothers. But in fairness, it must be mentioned many Shi'i feel us Sunni are the misguided ones.
Just like Baptists and Catholics!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just like Baptists and Catholics!
Very similar. Like most Muslims would never see any difference between Baptists and Catholics, most Christians can not see any difference between Shi'i and Sunni.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 AM

The above question reminded me of another often asked Question. that being "How many denominations are there is Islam?"

In the Christian concept of denominations there are none. The reason I say that is because all Muslims are of one Ummah. There are no denominations because we have no earthly leaders. We do not have any ordained clergy nor any earthly central leadership. We have no membership in the concept we join or belong to a Mosque. The only time we had any Human leadership was in the very early days when we were first learning of Islam and there were few Muslims. That would be during the time of Muhammad and the first 4 Caliphs that came after him. We will one day have another Caliphate, but that will not happen until the coming of the Mehdi and the Return of Jesus(as).

There are sects that resemble Islam but have defined leaders and teach a doctrine that has resemblance to Canons.

The most notable ones are:

NOI (Nation of Islam)

Baha'i

Sikh

Two others there is no agreement as to if they are separate from Islam or not. those 2 are:

Ahmadiyaa (Many scholars accept them as being Muslim, but with a deviant teaching)

The Twelvers(a break away group from the Shi'i) (Many scholars do not accept them as Muslim)

We are discouraged from identifying any Muslim with an adjective before the name we should all be simply Muslim, with no adjective such as Sunni or Shi'a before the name Muslim.

Muslims are urged to follow a Madhab, a madhab being a methodology of practice, not a difference in beliefs

Most Shi'i follow the Jafari

Most Sunni follow the Hanafi, Malaki, Shafi'i or Hanbal Madhab. we consider all to be equal and legitimate and we should learn all 4 but follow the one that is most common in the region we live. There are 2 others Wahabi and Salafi that are gaining in popularity, but many if not most Sunni do not consider them to be valid Madhabs.

The Sufi while accepted as being Muslim do not follow any Madhab, most of us love the Sufi even though we often find them strange. I began my Islam path as a Sufi and probably would have stayed on that path, but came to feel the need to follow a Madhab, so I follow the Hanafi Madhab as it is the most common in the areas I have lived.

Muslims follow three basic guides in learning about Islam those being the Qur'an, The Ahadith and the fiqh-ul-sunnah. We do have some who follow the Qur'an only. In simple terms:

The Qur'an is the Word of Allah

The ahadith are a collection of what Muhammad(PBUH) said and did, you can say that is what Muhammad(PBUH) taught.

The "Fiqh-ul-Sunnah" is a guide as to how the first generation followed the Qur'an. this relates to how we dress, our method of praying, how to do our basic requirements such as preparation for prayer.

OFF Topic: to clear up what seems like I can't make up my mind about spelling some words. Ahadith/Hadith Ahadith is the plural and refers to a collection. Hadith is singular and means one hadith. Shi'i/Shi'a Shi'i is the group Shi'a is a person who follows Shi'ism

i

Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM

30,892 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Quote:
Woodrow LI said...While each man can have up to 4 wives each wife must have her own home and each home must be equal. Each wife must be treated equally and equal time must be spent with each.

When carried out to it's true intent it is considered a great sacrifice for a man to take on the responsibility of more than one wife. When practiced properly and not simply for pleasure, Islamic polygamy is a social system of taking care of women who would not be able to care for themselves.
How do Muslims deal with and rationalize polygamy in countries where it is illegal, ( it is illegal for good reasons) as it is in most civilized nations?
I find polygamy abhorrent regardless of if only four wives are taken, or as in the case of Warren Jeffs seventy eight...If it were practiced extensively that would leave many men without the opportunity to marry...Please do not respond with "it's only for the wealthy", as you did in the other thread.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
[url="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/woodrow-li-1153483.html"]

How do Muslims deal with and rationalize polygamy in countries where it is illegal, ( it is illegal for good reasons) as it is in most civilized nations?
I find polygamy abhorrent regardless of if only four wives are taken, or as in the case of Warren Jeffs seventy eight...If it were practiced extensively that would leave many men without the opportunity to marry...Please do not respond with "it's only for the wealthy", as you did in the other thread.
Peace Sanspeur,

Good question.

It is not a requirement for a man to have more than one wife. It is something that is allowed if a man can meet all of the requirements, which few can. Even among Muslims polygamy has never been widely practiced outside the Arab Nations. I deeply question if it is practiced as the Qur'an intends in Saudi.

If practiced in accordance with the Qur'an the only conditions polygamy would meet all the conditions is one in which the women far out number the men. The preferred choice for additional wives are those unable to find a husband and would live in poverty without a husband. You also have to understand many women would not want to marry a man who already has a wife.

We may see a return to polygamy in the war torn nations of Iraq and Afghanistan as it seems a lot of the marriageable age men have been killed off.

As for those living in countries in which it is illegal, we are obligated to follow the laws of any nation we live in. If we feel that the laws prevent us from practicing Islam, we are obligated to leave the country and move to one in which we can practice Islam.

There are only five things a Muslim is obligated to do to follow Islam, those are mentioned in a post earlier in this thread and those are the 5 pillars of faith.

Islam has a wide spread between what is required and what is forbidden.
Fiqh-means we are obligated to do it, no if's buts or maybes. We have to do it.
Sunnah-we are not obligated to do it, no sin if we don't, but it is considered a blessing if we do.
Halal-anything that is not considered a sin, we can do
Mahkroof- Not forbidden, but frowned upon. No biggie if we do it, but a blessing if we avoid it. Most scholars place smoking in that category Haram-Absolutely forbidden. big time trouble if you get caught. No extenuating circumstances, you can't do it

Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 PM

616 posts, read 591,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Peace Sanspeur,

Good question.

It is not a requirement for a man to have more than one wife. It is something that is allowed if a man can meet all of the requirements, which few can. Even among Muslims polygamy has never been widely practiced outside the Arab Nations. I deeply question if it is practiced as the Qur'an intends in Saudi.

If practiced in accordance with the Qur'an the only conditions polygamy would meet all the conditions is one in which the women far out number the men. The preferred choice for additional wives are those unable to find a husband and would live in poverty without a husband. You also have to understand many women would not want to marry a man who already has a wife.

We may see a return to polygamy in the war torn nations of Iraq and Afghanistan as it seems a lot of the marriageable age men have been killed off.

As for those living in countries in which it is illegal, we are obligated to follow the laws of any nation we live in. If we feel that the laws prevent us from practicing Islam, we are obligated to leave the country and move to one in which we can practice Islam.

There are only five things a Muslim is obligated to do to follow Islam, those are mentioned in a post earlier in this thread and those are the 5 pillars of faith.

Islam has a wide spread between what is required and what is forbidden.
Fiqh-means we are obligated to do it, no if's buts or maybes. We have to do it.
Sunnah-we are not obligated to do it, no sin if we don't, but it is considered a blessing if we do.
Halal-anything that is not considered a sin, we can do
Mahkroof- Not forbidden, but frowned upon. No biggie if we do it, but a blessing if we avoid it. Most scholars place smoking in that category Haram-Absolutely forbidden. big time trouble if you get caught. No extenuating circumstances, you can't do it

yes my brother, all that you said is true

Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 PM

616 posts, read 591,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
[url="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/woodrow-li-1153483.html"]

do not know, the number of women more than men, there are many women with no husband!!

I really want to know are the Western countries the proportion of men more than women also? I guess they are.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 AM

39,211 posts, read 10,895,806 times
I admit I haven't checked recently but last time I looked women outnumbered men. Of course, the large majority of immigrants recently have been male, so that may have redressed the balance.

However, that is not really relevant as of course it is by no means to be assumed that all of those women want to be married. But then I guess that Islam would require that they should be. Perhaps Woodrow who has given some excellent responses could answer that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or