U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,424,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There is no other creature on earth or beyond that serves man better than a dog. If God, or whatever you chose to call the creator, gave one gift to man it certainly was the dog. There are police dogs, war dogs, service dogs, drug dogs, companion dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, cancer sniffing dogs, etc. I'd like to see a seeing-eye cow.

To the OP, let us go buy a case of beer and paint the shed when the moon smiles. In the meantime, let us be thankful for that germ infested dog that is so good to humanity.
Dogs weren't "given" to humanity -- they were carefully created through thousands of years of artificial selection. They do what we want them to do because we molded them to do so.

Dogs have a much greater range of talents, but the horse and the chicken have probably been more useful overall -- the former as transport, the latter as a convenient, portable food source.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,424,202 times
[deleted accidental duplicate post]

Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,375,454 times
Dogs in Islam are quite confusing even for us Muslims. Contrary to popular belief even among ourselves, dogs are not absolutely34 forbidden and are not to be mistreated. Off hand I can think of 2 breeds that were developed by Muslims-- the Saluki and the Afghan. Dogs are mentioned in the Qur'an, at the moment I can only think of 2 places, One is the dog that lived with the "People of the cave" and the other is the woman who was blessed because she used her sandal to water a stray dog that was trying to get to water in a well and the dog could not reach it. There are several Ahadith that mention them, from memory it seems they relate to sanitation, permissible uses for dogs and rules regarding the buying and selling of them. I have not found any prohibitions against owning them but there are restrictions in that we can not mistreat them, we can not use them as food and must maintain proper sanitation. The only absolute prohibition is they can not be present in the area we pray during prayer time. I see that because they would or could be a distraction. There are several mentions of very specific cases dogs are permitted those being Hunting dogs, Guard dogs, herd dogs, and other working dogs.

I will address this in more detail in the "Questions about Islam" thread as soon as I find all of the Qur'an ayyats and Ahadith that mention them. (there are not very many, I just need to recall what books they are in)

Clarification about a term: The Ahadith are the collection of eye witness recordings of the things Muhammad(PBUH) and his followers did and said. Ahadith is plural, Hadith is the singular. I often get asked why in some places I say Hadith and in other places ahadith. Ahadith=Plural Hadith=Singular

Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Dogs in Islam are quite confusing even for us Muslims. Contrary to popular belief even among ourselves, dogs are not absolutely34 forbidden
Just a note to explain where that 34 came from. I did not notice it until now.

All people that are owned by a cat have probably already guessed. If you have cats, they will run across the keyboard.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,634,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Alajdl
Sabine
Dkouh
Ntql
Vtnhal
Taatbed
Belhsh

What!?
I think he throws some of that in just to see if anyone's actually reading the post.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think he throws some of that in just to see if anyone's actually reading the post.
Actually what he did was put in transliterations of Arabic words that have no English equivalent. I'll try to come back to this thread later and see if I can interpret them. I wish he had written them with Arabic Characters. I am having difficulty with them. They seem to be either Saudi or Yemeni pronunciations.

I speak the Darija dialect and my pronunciation differs quite a bit. but the words written in the Arabic Characters are the same world wide, although our pronunciations vary to a great degree.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,280,522 times
To the OP, a story from my peoples' tradition:

Creator announced the arrival of the humans to the land. He asked each animal to come forward and asked what each one will do when the humans appear. While many of the animals said that they will hurt the humans, the dog stated that he wished to live with the humans and be their greatest friend. Creator granted the dog’s request, stating that he will be forever loyal to the humans. That is how dogs came to be so faithful and loyal to man.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

11,288 posts, read 11,082,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I can't understand one sentence that you're stating. I realize that English may not be you native language, but tossing up nouns, verbs, adjectives and such in the air and printing them as they fall randomly on your brain is not working. Let me give you a example:

Dogs be lick but offend the dirt, Praise Allah and peace be on the tail of the gecko for the donkey worships the rainbow but loathes the cucumber.
Except the danger, interview fact reporting and hadith.
You must be as mind reader! I was just thinking the same thing!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,118,681 times
By the edge of woods, at the foot of a hill,
is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
when their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
for here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
the time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart
has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
and then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM

5,117 posts, read 8,108,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Actually what he did was put in transliterations of Arabic words that have no English equivalent.
If there is no English equivalence for certain Arabic words, then it's better to either leave out adding nonsense jibberish words, or try explaining it in a different way. My guess is that the OP probably used a translation program, which is why the whole post turned out as such a mess. People who post but are not fluent in English, should either ask for help from someone who is actually fluent in both languages, or practice on their own skills to develop better fluency before thinking about posting to a forum like this where English is the language used. I know, the OP's basic idea still came though anyway, sort of. Just sayin' though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or