U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Our courts and the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission must be uninformed because they've considered wearing the burkah a religious practice.
Odd here I only see them permitting the Hijab. When my wife had her DL renewed they made her remove her Niqaab (veil) for the picture.

It is a religious practice, but it is sunnah not fiqh. In other words a woman wears it as a sincere sign of obedience to Allaah(swt) but it is not required and there is no sin if a woman does not wear the Burka. the Qur'anic requirement is for a woman to dress modestly by being certain to cover her hair, her body from just below the neck to the ankle and her arms to her wrist. this can be accomplished in many ways and most Islamic clothing is quite fashionable.

However, the woman from Iran, Saudi and the UAE are convinced the Burka is mandatory. But if one lives in those areas it will not take long to discover why the burka came to be. After one sandstorm not wearing it and a person will soon decide to wear it. The men in those regions also dress heavily covered. I always wore a Jilabba when I was in the Sahara Nations for that reason, and I was Christian then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,821 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Reputation: 23222
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
. And women, before you complain, think about the numerous times when you feel like you are objectified as sex objects, degraded, treated like a piece of meat, etc, and ask yourselves if this is not a BIG part of the problem.
I have to agree that if you blatantly dress....or un-dress, as the case may be... for attention you shouldn't complain when you get it BUT remember this.....
just back in the turn of the century men got all flustered just glimpsing an exposed ankle.
The examples you gave are a bit extreme but I'll bet even if that double D lady had on a shirt that covered her up to her neck, as a self-described typical horny male, you'd still have done a bit of gawking.
Keep in mind the part of your bible that said women were going to be cursed with painful childbirth....just think of being a horny male as the unspoken curse Adam passed down to you and deal with it.

Last edited by old_cold; 08-22-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
 
Location: 2 blocks from bay in L.I, NY
1,767 posts, read 1,440,098 times
Reputation: 2743
Default Or try a more conservative Church

"Now I know I'll get bashed for saying this as a typical horny male, but being surrounded by all this flesh is just too distracting. I find myself not at all focused on the word being preached...in the end, I have to say that this particular church feels no different than being at a club in this respect. And I KNOW that I couldnt have been the only male in that church who had these thoughts running through my head being around the women."



No, you're not the only male that feel this way; I've heard other men say they've been distracted by the lack of "decency" in how some women and teenage girls dress in church. You will have to work extra hard to overcome the mental stumbling blocks in order to focus on the word of God being preached. I have to agree with the poster that said there should be balance between the extreme clothing of women in Islam and the lack of clothing of women in Christianity. Islamic clothing restrictions for women is akin to using a hammer to swat at a fly. On the other hand, the "judge that you be not judge" misinterpretation of the Bible, the ideology of "it doesn't matter how you live or carry yourself as long as you claim to be Christian", and outright worldliness has infiltrated the Church so much so that many women and girls disgrace and disrespect the church, in addition to themselves.


However, as long as men like yourself continue to eyeball with favor their exposed goodies and smile your approval at them for doing so, they will continue to dress this way, even at Church. For the most part, the men that don't say anything about it or see nothing wrong it, including ministers, probably don't want to ruin a good thing. If they say something, said woman or girl may get offended and not come back or (gasp) actually cover up (albeit resentfully) and then he will lose out on the tantalizing view she'd been providing him and every other male every Sunday.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 08-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Too much space between paragraphs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Reputation: 12629
Have you seen anyone about this problem of yours? Get it? The problem is yours, not the women in your church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,733,529 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
A little info: I was raised christian and still am...after having been brought up in the church as a child, I slipped and stopped going once I left the house and went to college...after several years of wild living at clubs, bars and parties, I finally decided to clean my life up, and started attending church again.

My first Sunday at service, I'm seated next to a lady who has easily double D sized breasts...in a low cut tight top...she turns to me to pass the offering plate, being a guy, I can't help but glance at her twins...she sees me look and smiles, and it becomes obvious that she enjoys that type of attention from men, after all, why would she wear such revealing an outfit?
The lady sitting in front of me is wearing the low cut jeans with a thong, and how shall I put it, she has a real nice butt...I find myself staring at it whenever she stands up to sing or pray...and that's just two out of several women I see at the service wearing all manner of revealing outfits...AT CHURCH!!!

Now I know I'll get bashed for saying this as a typical horny male, but being surrounded by all this flesh is just too distracting. I find myself not at all focused on the word being preached...in the end, I have to say that this particular church feels no different than being at a club in this respect. And I KNOW that I couldnt have been the only male in that church who had these thoughts running through my head being around the women.

The muslims require their women to wear body covering outfits from head to toe. They were simply practical about it, they KNOW that men's eyes will wander if their women walk around half naked, so they restrict this so that the men are not tempted to do something they shouldnt be doing.

Now I'm by no means an advocate for Islam, as they do have their own set of problems (and that's putting it mildly) but am I the only one who feels like they got this one right? can it be a coincidence that STDs, children born out of wedlock and premarital sex are FAR lower in islamic countries compared to here in the US? I know the women will bash me for this, and I know that in reality this will NEVER happen in the US, but I really think that this is something to ponder. And women, before you complain, think about the numerous times when you feel like you are objectified as sex objects, degraded, treated like a piece of meat, etc, and ask yourselves if this is not a BIG part of the problem.
You think women eyes don't "wander"? My girl friends look at guys as much as I look at women. Does this mean mean YOU should have to wear a condom from head to toe?

Do I look at a women I like and sometimes think about having sex with her.. yes... At no time where these women in any danger, because I don't look at a women I like and think about holding her down while she is screaming crying and bleeding everywhere while I rape her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
 
439 posts, read 482,435 times
Reputation: 31
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM
 
9,530 posts, read 4,873,414 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Have you seen anyone about this problem of yours? Get it? The problem is yours, not the women in your church.
Your comment is glib.

The fact is, something biological or physiological or hormonal or something affects many men in a particular way.

A place of worship for serious people isn't a place to show off ones cleavage, thighs, muscles, or other body parts that Everyone knows draws attention and distracts from the purpose.

I might add that Islam isn't the only religion that recognizes modesty in dress as a virtue, particularly in worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 AM
 
39,148 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5090
Neither is it the only religion that seems to think that restrictions should be imposed on women, rather than upon men, in order to deal with this.

While ideally, persons of both sexes should be able to walk in anywhere, including places of worship, buck naked and that not be seen as anything shocking, because any god that isn't a product of man's (and I mean males) hypocritical and sexually unruly imagination would not be in the least offended by the naked form (or the opposite sexes' appreciation of it), this is obviously a distant ideal and won't be achieved easily any more than someone saying: 'Hey I've got it! why don't we just put our guns down and all stop fighting?' It would be wonderful if it was as simple as that.

Ok, I have to come up with something. While wimmin who dress in a way that is going to attract male attention can't reasonably complain if they get it, men should appreciate them in a respectful way and not wag their plonkers at them - 'Wan' a bit o' this darlin'?' Simply because it breaches the moral concensus codified succinctly in the Golden Rule. While I would never tell a woman that she can't dress up in a coal - sack with a leather mask if she wants to, I don't see that anyone one has a right to say that she should if she doesn't want to.

I do not approve of imposing restrictions not to say inconveniences on women just because of men being unable to deal with their own impulses much less because of any desire to justify imposing outmoded religious traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM
 
9,530 posts, read 4,873,414 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Neither is it the only religion that seems to think that restrictions should be imposed on women, rather than upon men, in order to deal with this.

While ideally, persons of both sexes should be able to walk in anywhere, including places of worship, buck naked and that not be seen as anything shocking, because any god that isn't a product of man's (and I mean males) hypocritical and sexually unruly imagination would not be in the least offended by the naked form (or the opposite sexes' appreciation of it), this is obviously a distant ideal and won't be achieved easily any more than someone saying: 'Hey I've got it! why don't we just put our guns down and all stop fighting?' It would be wonderful if it was as simple as that.

Ok, I have to come up with something. While wimmin who dress in a way that is going to attract male attention can't reasonably complain if they get it, men should appreciate them in a respectful way and not wag their plonkers at them - 'Wan' a bit o' this darlin'?' Simply because it breaches the moral concensus codified succinctly in the Golden Rule. While I would never tell a woman that she can't dress up in a coal - sack with a leather mask if she wants to, I don't see that anyone one has a right to say that she should if she doesn't want to.

I do not approve of imposing restrictions not to say inconveniences on women just because of men being unable to deal with their own impulses much less because of any desire to justify imposing outmoded religious traditions.
Well, if I started a religion I'd have in it something about men being weak creatures, too easily distracted by women, so please ladies, do men a favor and dress modestly in houses of worship.

I wouldn't say women must dress in a coal-sack with a leather mask because that might distract for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
 
39,148 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5090
Right. That will do. Dressing in something less revealing than what was it?..Hang on..."a low cut tight top... the low cut jeans with a thong,"

Ok. Dress code - loose blouse or jumper up to the collar bone. elbow length sleeves at most. Knee length dress or pants. That do? Look at the thread title before you respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top