U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,166,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Until about the late 1800s and early 1900s the Christian dress code for women was nearly identical to that of Islam.
I remember women in America wearing hats with veils to church in the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 AM

439 posts, read 482,796 times
it is a natural thing for men to desire women
and for women to desire men

but there are rules and instructions from the creator to his Creatures

and they are in the Quran.

Beautified for mankind is love of the joys (that come) from women and offspring; and stored-up heaps of gold and silver, and horses branded (with their mark), and cattle and land. That is comfort of the life of the world. Allah! With Him is a more excellent abode.

Say: Shall I inform you of something better than that? For those who keep from evil, with their Lord, are Gardens underneath which rivers flow wherein they will abide, and pure companions, and contentment from Allah. Allah is Seer of His bondmen,

Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,166,218 times
Islamic teachings are correct on many things, but in error on the one point that really counts: the divinity of Jesus Christ. He is the Son of God.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 AM

19,853 posts, read 19,959,826 times
Wouldn't you that women that dress like that for church may not have communicating with God uppermost in their mind?
And that men that are that distracted may not either?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 AM

9,545 posts, read 4,884,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Right. That will do. Dressing in something less revealing than what was it?..Hang on..."a low cut tight top... the low cut jeans with a thong,"

Ok. Dress code - loose blouse or jumper up to the collar bone. elbow length sleeves at most. Knee length dress or pants. That do? Look at the thread title before you respond.
Yes, I read the thread title, And the op that explains why he asked the question.

An adult who needs a dress code to understand 'modestly' is slow on the uptake.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM

39,275 posts, read 10,931,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yes, I read the thread title, And the op that explains why he asked the question.
You evaded my question. Is the dress I suggested suitable for religious attendance? Will it overcome the randy thoughts of our poster or if not, is the fault with him rather than with the woman's dress? I'm not going after you personally - anyone can step in here.

Quote:
An adult who needs a dress code to understand 'modestly' is slow on the uptake.
We adults understand a lot of things. We understand that a lot of laws customs and requirements are obsolete, unfair or the result of prejudice. And they need to be looked at. An adult who doesn't understand that is preferring bias to reason.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,602,764 times
Quote:
Were the Muslims Right???
Yes and no. While modesty and humility are admirable values, it can always be taken too far. It can always be taken to some extreme. As a Western man (with Western biases) I think the burka is symbolic of the Islamic misogyny which as a Westerner I find so repugnant.

But Western mysogyny goes too far the other way ...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You evaded my question. Is the dress I suggested suitable for religious attendance? Will it overcome the randy thoughts of our poster or if not, is the fault with him rather than with the woman's dress? I'm not going after you personally - anyone can step in here.

We adults understand a lot of things. We understand that a lot of laws customs and requirements are obsolete, unfair or the result of prejudice. And they need to be looked at. An adult who doesn't understand that is preferring bias to reason.
I'll go out on a limb here and say that anybody that blatantly presents themselves in a way to attract attention is at fault for distracting.
It could be somebody that walks in with a foot tall ostrich feather hat.
One can't make enough rules to cover that nor criticize those that get distracted.
In fact, you'd have to wonder about anybody who hadn't noticed.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM

39,275 posts, read 10,931,096 times
That had validity, but doesn't really address the matter of modesty. One can do many things to attract attention like an absurd Ostrich feather or a jacket covered in fairylights or dyeing their hair purple. While I might sniff at these attempts to gain attention I wouldn't tell them to dress differently unless it was really being a nuisance like someone with a car alarm that went off during a concert (1) and it wouldn't worry me if some girl was dressing deliciously. In fact many do and I appreciate it and I came back to thinking that the OP poster has the problem and not the women or their dress. I repeat, why doesn't he wear the hood, or find another pew if it bothers him?

I am not so silly as to think we can all go nude to Church just yet. We need to change a lot before that can happen. But it isn't helping to start arguing for enforced modesty dress codes trying to push tank tops and hipsters just a bit further towards to the coalsack.

That's why I asked whether the dress I suggested would be ok? If so, Sorted. If not and we are not far enough along the road to Bonnets, ankle length dresses and face veils, why not? I think we need an answer to this.

(1) of properly composed music. During a rock concert, no -one would notice.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Grrrrr.........lost the whole post!
When you go someplace where concentration/contemplation is a given, any disruptive behavior is inconsiderate and other attendees should not be the ones who should have to go out of their way .

Deliberately provocative dress is disruptive.
Your suggestion of dress wouldn't solve the problem since it still could be made to be disruptive.
A Burka embellished with a string of twinkling lights would attract attention.

Common sense is all that's needed and anyone being purposely provocative at church won't be using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam