U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM

9,542 posts, read 4,880,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You evaded my question. Is the dress I suggested suitable for religious attendance? Will it overcome the randy thoughts of our poster or if not, is the fault with him rather than with the woman's dress? I'm not going after you personally - anyone can step in here.

We adults understand a lot of things. We understand that a lot of laws customs and requirements are obsolete, unfair or the result of prejudice. And they need to be looked at. An adult who doesn't understand that is preferring bias to reason.
I don't want to develop a dress code. I don't expect women to wear knee socks and a helmet because some guy might be distracted by toes, ankles and hair. I think In General we all know the type of dress we're talking about, In General.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,476,004 times
Hi y'all, I'm the OP...maybe I should have framed the question better...and I'll focus on christian men with this one...according to the Bible, if you even THINK a lustful thought, then you have sinned, and I'll say it, if I see a gorgeous busty lady showing lots of cleavage, or if I see a lady with a nice butt, wearing spandex or those low riding skinny jeans, then I'm going to be honest and admit that I would have a lustful thought, all the guys on here with the phony outrage telling me to get help are just not being honest. A beautiful woman is a beautiful woman. I dont know any red blooded STRAIGHT man who wouldnt be lustful. So how would you reconcile this with the fact that as a christian trying to get to heaven you cannot have lustful thoughts? This is where I think the muslims were just being realistic and said, "hey, we know that if we allow the women to walk around half naked, the men are GOING to check them out, no point denying that, so let's have the women cover up so that the men dont do this"

And ladies, I recognize the sexism of this mindset, forcing y'all to cover up due to our (men's) weaknesses. So I dont expect any sympathy on your part. But short of separating the sexes to where they have minimal contact what else is there?

So christian men, what are your thoughts on this?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,780,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
A little info: I was raised christian and still am...after having been brought up in the church as a child, I slipped and stopped going once I left the house and went to college...after several years of wild living at clubs, bars and parties, I finally decided to clean my life up, and started attending church again.

My first Sunday at service, I'm seated next to a lady who has easily double D sized breasts...in a low cut tight top...she turns to me to pass the offering plate, being a guy, I can't help but glance at her twins...she sees me look and smiles, and it becomes obvious that she enjoys that type of attention from men, after all, why would she wear such revealing an outfit?
The lady sitting in front of me is wearing the low cut jeans with a thong, and how shall I put it, she has a real nice butt...I find myself staring at it whenever she stands up to sing or pray...and that's just two out of several women I see at the service wearing all manner of revealing outfits...AT CHURCH!!!

Now I know I'll get bashed for saying this as a typical horny male, but being surrounded by all this flesh is just too distracting. I find myself not at all focused on the word being preached...in the end, I have to say that this particular church feels no different than being at a club in this respect. And I KNOW that I couldnt have been the only male in that church who had these thoughts running through my head being around the women.

The muslims require their women to wear body covering outfits from head to toe. They were simply practical about it, they KNOW that men's eyes will wander if their women walk around half naked, so they restrict this so that the men are not tempted to do something they shouldnt be doing.

Now I'm by no means an advocate for Islam, as they do have their own set of problems (and that's putting it mildly) but am I the only one who feels like they got this one right? can it be a coincidence that STDs, children born out of wedlock and premarital sex are FAR lower in islamic countries compared to here in the US? I know the women will bash me for this, and I know that in reality this will NEVER happen in the US, but I really think that this is something to ponder. And women, before you complain, think about the numerous times when you feel like you are objectified as sex objects, degraded, treated like a piece of meat, etc, and ask yourselves if this is not a BIG part of the problem.
Seriously?

Islam essentially punishes women because men cannot control their hormones. This thought processes manages to insult both genders at the same time.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM

322 posts, read 465,356 times
I think it is the dress code we should be thinking whether it is suitable mor not. You dont expect a doctor in ER donning a bikini doing surgery or army saluting parade without uniformed attire. Nor would you go to your parents anniversary dinner at TGIF wearing Hooters attire. It is all about respect.

Dress for the best is a form a respect for the persons or occasions. Yes, for those going for the beach, we expect you to dress accordingly - with little as possible, just like if you are going to Grammy Awards, we expect outlandish dress which could be bling bling with see through thongs, braless, or strapless.

So in the places of worships, we expect people to be considerate to dress conservatively. Moreover , you do not wanna the corpse body to rise and eyes to pop out if you dress to kill with cleavage to die for.

They are always dresses for all kinds of occasions, including undressing while in bathrooms or bedrooms.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,358,344 times
Quote:
And ladies, I recognize the sexism of this mindset, forcing y'all to cover up due to our (men's) weaknesses. So I dont expect any sympathy on your part. But short of separating the sexes to where they have minimal contact what else is there?
Do these 'lustful thoughts' apply to women looking at men? If so, should we not have all men covered in the same way Muslim women are? Perhaps you should never wear a short sleeved shirt in church....just in case there is some chick there who has a fore-arm fetish.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM

39,234 posts, read 10,905,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Grrrrr.........lost the whole post!
Don't you just hate it when that happens? I try to do mine offline but nearly always type away online.

Quote:
When you go someplace where concentration/contemplation is a given, any disruptive behavior is inconsiderate and other attendees should not be the ones who should have to go out of their way .

Deliberately provocative dress is disruptive.
Your suggestion of dress wouldn't solve the problem since it still could be made to be disruptive.
A Burka embellished with a string of twinkling lights would attract attention.

Common sense is all that's needed and anyone being purposely provocative at church won't be using it.
And Jazzarama (great name for a night club)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't want to develop a dress code. I don't expect women to wear knee socks and a helmet because some guy might be distracted by toes, ankles and hair. I think In General we all know the type of dress we're talking about, In General.

It seems that the general view is that reasonable dress (presumably something a bit less revealing that the boob - tube of the OP would be quite enough. That seems to suggests that the Muslims didn't - and don't have it right for us. For them perhaps. We have to bear in mind other times; other manners, but we don't need to refer to muslim dress codes in order to apply 'common sense' as the term is used here.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,796,530 times
Pics or ain't true

Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM

39,234 posts, read 10,905,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously?

Islam essentially punishes women because men cannot control their hormones. This thought processes manages to insult both genders at the same time.
Well, that was my thought. The posts above seem to take a reasonable view but the OP was really starting out on a slippery slope argument that would lead in the end to the Burkha with only ONE eyehole, because seeing two flashing female eyes will turn any healthy red - blooded male in into a raging ravisher - and it's all womens' fault - the lewd minxes!

No , no. That argument surely won't wash with even the most extreme Christian fundamentalist.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM

439 posts, read 482,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Islamic teachings are correct on many things, but in error on the one point that really counts: the divinity of Jesus Christ. He is the Son of God.

When Jesus ascended to heaven
his Companions disagreed about him
and they were three parties

the correct group said he is the slave of Allah and his messenger

the second group said he is God

the third group said he is Son of God

and after three hundred years a big dispute happened about jesus

and the Emperor Constantine supported the group who believed in trinity

jesus is the son of God by the influence of Emperor Constantine.

Then she pointed to him. They said: How can we talk to one who is in the cradle, a young boy?

He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet,
And hath made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and hath enjoined upon me prayer and almsgiving so long as I remain alive,

And (hath made me) dutiful toward her who bore me, and hath not made me arrogant, unblest.

Peace on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!

Such was Jesus, son of Mary: (this is) a statement of the truth concerning which they doubt.

It befitteth not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should take unto Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decreeth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is.

And lo! Allah is my Lord and your Lord. So serve Him. That is the right path.

The sects among them differ: but woe unto the disbelievers from the meeting of an awful Day.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM

70 posts, read 76,967 times
Quote:
A little info: I was raised christian and still am...after having been brought up in the church as a child, I slipped and stopped going once I left the house and went to college...after several years of wild living at clubs, bars and parties, I finally decided to clean my life up, and started attending church again.

My first Sunday at service, I'm seated next to a lady who has easily double D sized breasts...in a low cut tight top...she turns to me to pass the offering plate, being a guy, I can't help but glance at her twins...she sees me look and smiles, and it becomes obvious that she enjoys that type of attention from men, after all, why would she wear such revealing an outfit?
The lady sitting in front of me is wearing the low cut jeans with a thong, and how shall I put it, she has a real nice butt...I find myself staring at it whenever she stands up to sing or pray...and that's just two out of several women I see at the service wearing all manner of revealing outfits...AT CHURCH!!!

Now I know I'll get bashed for saying this as a typical horny male, but being surrounded by all this flesh is just too distracting. I find myself not at all focused on the word being preached...in the end, I have to say that this particular church feels no different than being at a club in this respect. And I KNOW that I couldnt have been the only male in that church who had these thoughts running through my head being around the women.

The muslims require their women to wear body covering outfits from head to toe. They were simply practical about it, they KNOW that men's eyes will wander if their women walk around half naked, so they restrict this so that the men are not tempted to do something they shouldnt be doing.

Now I'm by no means an advocate for Islam, as they do have their own set of problems (and that's putting it mildly) but am I the only one who feels like they got this one right? can it be a coincidence that STDs, children born out of wedlock and premarital sex are FAR lower in islamic countries compared to here in the US? I know the women will bash me for this, and I know that in reality this will NEVER happen in the US, but I really think that this is something to ponder. And women, before you complain, think about the numerous times when you feel like you are objectified as sex objects, degraded, treated like a piece of meat, etc, and ask yourselves if this is not a BIG part of the problem.
this story close to this video

Hijab - A non-muslim woman experiments - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam