U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 AM

255 posts, read 551,556 times

Advertisements

Going beyond the above fact, there is the issue of Muslims saying that their god does NOT have a son. So...how can they be worshipping the same god...when OUR GOD has a son: Jesus?

Well, the Jews don't believe God has a son either. Are you saying the Jews and the Christians don't believe in the same God?

Granted, there are significant differences among the three religions, but all three worship the God of the Old Testament.

Now, I don't agree with the bishop that Christians should start calling God Allah. First, I don't think that will help interfaith relations and second, I don't think we have to pretend we are all the same in order to get along. I think the key to improved interfaith relations is to focus more on the values we share in common and less on the beliefs on which we diverge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:01 PM

799 posts, read 1,961,813 times
Sounds like religious butt kissing in my opinion.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:53 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,682,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
If the Muslims are worshipping our God, then they are calling Him by the wrong name. It would be like calling our President "Jack", instead of "George", and then arguing that Jack is actually his real name simply because "we've always called him Jack, therefore his name has gotta be Jack". Hmmm....perhaps they should ask HIM what His name actually is. Nowhere in the Bible is the name "Allah" found, but several names of God, written under direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit, are found there.
Going beyond the above fact, there is the issue of Muslims saying that their god does NOT have a son. So...how can they be worshipping the same god...when OUR GOD has a son: Jesus? The Muslim description of their god does not fit the description given in the Bible of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob...the Father of Jesus the Christ. If Muslims worship a god that has no son, then it cannot be the same God I worship. They have invented one that does not exist. Do you see the difference?

Bud

By chance, what do you think Christians in other countries that do not speak English, call the Christian God? What word/name do you think that Christians in Middle Eastern countries (and there are some) use?

Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM

264 posts, read 633,909 times
I should think that would be very confusing for people who are not muslims.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM

32,427 posts, read 17,764,993 times
Default it ain't gonna happen

I wish the OP would have included the very next paragraph which is pasted below.

"A survey in the Netherlands' biggest-selling newspaper De Telegraaf on Wednesday found 92 percent of the more than 4,000 people polled disagreed with the bishop's view, which also drew ridicule."

PLEASE!
One world religion? What a joke. How many denominations are there for christianity?
And I have read a few Catholic forums where there seems to be just as much disparity within the catholic ranks as there is on the religious thread. This was just one person's perspective and does not reflect any one's view but his own.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 93,540 times
Fortunately for the United States our Constitution protects our rights to believe or not believe in whatever deity we choose. So, I don't think the "world religion" concept will include us, unless someone wants to take the nation on, by attempting to change the Constitution.

However, having said that, how pious must you be to assume that you are the only one with the answers? Every faith believes that their faith is the end all and be all one way ticket to Heaven? Can they all be wrong? or are they all right? No one knows. Oh, everyone has an opinion, based on their particular translation of a piece of literature that's thousands of years old. Even those translations are SO different that logically, I don't know how anyone can stand by just one. Even within the Christian faith there are several versions of the bible. Let's not forget that the bible was written via dictation from God to man. The Muslims believe that God actually wrote their bible. So, who knows.

(BTW, if you're going to tell me that YOU know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the faith you practice is THE right one...I'll say hogwash..prove it).

*I'm using the general term "You", not meaning anyone specific.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 PM

122 posts, read 353,612 times
Allah, Jehovah, God, the Tao, the force, the Divine Creator, the "That which is", are all the same concept.

The force of creation is what we call God. And it is not a human, nor a destroyer of cities who turns people into pillars of salt. It is a natural force that you can especially see around springtime every year. God/Allah is a wonderful thing. Understand what God is or not. I'm sure it doesn't worry about what you call it.

May Allah be with you all. I totally mean that.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM

448 posts, read 1,710,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Another church compromise on an issue they see as "inconsequential" or "non-essential". I don't think he can forsee the potential ramifications of such a decision.

Who's to say Muslims will want Christians to call our God by their God's name of Allah? Wouldn't that be considered offensive to them as some of them consider us in the wrong and infidels because we're not muslim?
Allah is not their God's name. Allah means God in Arabic. And what is the big deal? there is only on God, the same one to Jews, Hindus, Buddhits and Muslims.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM

204 posts, read 468,870 times
The only other name I’m calling MY God is ‘Father’.

To me that is absolutely ridiculous for those to think that Allah is the same God as the one in the bible. The things listed in the Quran about God, and the things listed in the Bible about God are like Night and Day.

Allah is impersonal. It just means ‘God’.

YHWY/Jehovah means the great ‘I AM”.
God is so smart . This one small phase of what He told us to call Him shows His wisdom, power, and presence. ‘I AM’ shows He is ever present (omnipresence). There was never a time when He was not. He will always be. This shows Him as being omnipresent AND omnipotent. Because something that is ALWAYS here, can obviously never die. And something that always ‘IS’ obviously never had a beginning and will never have an end. That shows omnipotence. And the fact that He came up with that name to begin with to me shows His omniscience.

Does Allah show all that in His name? NO

AND if that weren’t enough MY God told me I could call Him Father. That shows His wanting a personal relationship with His people. Did Allah say anywhere in the Quran to call him Father? NO! The Quran never mentions the word 'Father' among the 99 names of God listed in the Quran. NONE of the 99 names listed in the Quran show a personal relationship with God. So I will take FATHER anyday! The Bible practically pleads with man to have a personal relationship with God. I love that fact that my God wants me to call Him Father.

The Lord prayer starts off with 'OUR FATHER' which art in Heaven!

So to me this IS a big deal!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,852,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
By chance, what do you think Christians in other countries that do not speak English, call the Christian God? What word/name do you think that Christians in Middle Eastern countries (and there are some) use?
Many Christians (and non-believers for that matter) in other countries use the word "Allah". However, the reason is because there is NO OTHER word in their vocabulary for "God", or Supreme Being. But...the word "Allah" is a TITLE, not a name. If you called call me a "man" you would be correct. Or if you called me a guy, a human, an Alaskan, etc, etc, you'd still be correct....but none of them are my name....they are all just descriptive titles.
But....if you do a thorough Google search on "Allah", you would find that it's use PRE-DATES the time of Mohammed...the founder of Islam. They say the use of "Allah" refers to the ancient moon-god (a false god)...hence the CRESCENT SHAPED MOON icon you see on Muslim temples. I'm not buying the idea that "Allah" actually refers to the God of the Bible. I would agree that it refers to what Muslims THINK refers to the God of the Bible, but they are wrong. There IS a MAJOR difference between the two. Ask a Bible theologian, and a theologian of Islam, to describe God...and you'll get two different answers. One says God is the Father of Jesus the Christ, the other says that "Allah" has NO son. Well, either God is, or is not, the Father of Jesus....you can't have it both ways. (I realize that Jews also believe Jesus is not the son of God...but that is NOT what the Bible teaches...). In the dark ages millions of people believed the world was flat. Did their widespread belief make them correct? Today, millions of people believe that God is "Allah". Does that also make them correct?
Saying, and believing, that "Allah" refers to the same God does not make it so...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or