U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,930,308 times

Advertisements

Other languages - way they pronounce God

Dios – Spanish
Dieu – French
Gott – German
Dio – Italian
Deus – Portuguese
Бог – Russian
God – Dutch
Θεός – Greek
Gud – Swedish
إلهة – Arabic
神 – Japanese
신 – Korean
上帝 Chinese (simplified)
上帝 Chinese (traditional)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 05:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,679,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Other languages - way they pronounce God

Dios – Spanish
Dieu – French
Gott – German
Dio – Italian
Deus – Portuguese
Бог – Russian
God – Dutch
Θεός – Greek
Gud – Swedish
إلهة – Arabic
神 – Japanese
신 – Korean
上帝 Chinese (simplified)
上帝 Chinese (traditional)
I believe I asked the other poster what he thought they called God.

It's no joke that I once heard of a person that refused to study any other language besided English...because, they said in all sincerity, that if 'English was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it's good enough for me.' What is sadder is that I've repeated that story and folks have agreed with it.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM

679 posts, read 1,346,802 times
I believe that person was an elected official in Texas, but I can't remember exactly who.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM

122 posts, read 353,522 times
Again: Allah = God.

I spoke to a Hindu from India today. I asked him if their was a Hindu temple in this town. He said there wasn't, but said that he goes to one of the local churchs to worship God. His religion believes that all peoples houses of worship are places to worship God. He was very wise.

Why can't God just be God know matter what religion you choose to have?

Otherwise wars and strife will continue on and on...

May Vishnu be with you all. And I really mean that.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 PM

422 posts, read 1,070,544 times
I agree with your point. I also believe that God is so mysterious and powerfull that all religions that worship a higher power of some kind are worshiping what we christian refer to as God. Therefore, I belieive that each religion worships God/Allah/the sun, what have you in their own way. We, being simple human beings just dont have the capacity to understand that and are intent on our own interpretation of God, thus start wars and generate hatred over it. One thing is common among most religions that this higher power is a power of good, but people develope their own culture and ways or worshiping this higher power. Therefore, I belive we all worship the same entity, the creater of the universe, which I call God, but someone else calls Allah, or someone else may think of as many different spirits.
Anyone thoughts?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 PM

122 posts, read 353,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
I agree with your point. I also believe that God is so mysterious and powerfull that all religions that worship a higher power of some kind are worshiping what we christian refer to as God. Therefore, I belieive that each religion worships God/Allah/the sun, what have you in their own way. We, being simple human beings just dont have the capacity to understand that and are intent on our own interpretation of God, thus start wars and generate hatred over it. One thing is common among most religions that this higher power is a power of good, but people develope their own culture and ways or worshiping this higher power. Therefore, I belive we all worship the same entity, the creater of the universe, which I call God, but someone else calls Allah, or someone else may think of as many different spirits.
Anyone thoughts?

You are completely right. Sadly, the world isn't read for obvious brilliance such as yours.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM

32,418 posts, read 17,758,078 times
Default Another Catholic priests take on this issue

Lest anyone get the notion that we catholics follow this "lets call God Allah..." sentiment, I copy here the response I received from Father Geraghty. Some of the fellow catholics may recognize him from EWTN. A very good response, IMO.

Why cannot Catholics and Muslims get along with the Catholics calling God Father and the Muslims calling him Allah? Under both titles we have the One God who created the world. Sometimes I think that well meaning Catholics are a bit soft headed and are willing to concede too much for the sake of peace. The Church does not make it a condition that it will get along with Muslims only after they become Catholics. I imagine that sensible Muslims would hold the same thing today. If love means anything in a religion, it certainly means loving others who do not share the same faith because all are children of God. Dialog does not mean that each party watered down their own faith in order to be agreeable. It means they hold onto their faith while trying to understand the love of God better.

Dr. Geraghty

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
The only other name I’m calling MY God is ‘Father’.

To me that is absolutely ridiculous for those to think that Allah is the same God as the one in the bible. The things listed in the Quran about God, and the things listed in the Bible about God are like Night and Day.

Allah is impersonal. It just means ‘God’.

YHWY/Jehovah means the great ‘I AM”.
God is so smart . This one small phase of what He told us to call Him shows His wisdom, power, and presence. ‘I AM’ shows He is ever present (omnipresence). There was never a time when He was not. He will always be. This shows Him as being omnipresent AND omnipotent. Because something that is ALWAYS here, can obviously never die. And something that always ‘IS’ obviously never had a beginning and will never have an end. That shows omnipotence. And the fact that He came up with that name to begin with to me shows His omniscience.

Does Allah show all that in His name? NO

AND if that weren’t enough MY God told me I could call Him Father. That shows His wanting a personal relationship with His people. Did Allah say anywhere in the Quran to call him Father? NO! The Quran never mentions the word 'Father' among the 99 names of God listed in the Quran. NONE of the 99 names listed in the Quran show a personal relationship with God. So I will take FATHER anyday! The Bible practically pleads with man to have a personal relationship with God. I love that fact that my God wants me to call Him Father.

The Lord prayer starts off with 'OUR FATHER' which art in Heaven!

So to me this IS a big deal!
In the Name of God, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful

I stumbled across this forum accidentally, and after having read some of the posts in this thread, I just had to give my two cents At first I was hesitant to do so, since these posts date back to 2007--but hey, someone could come across this site in the same manner as I did and be completely mislead about how Muslims perceive God after reading some of these posts.

Contrary to what has been posted, Muslims DO have a personal relationship with God. How could they not, when one of God's name is the Sustainer? Indeed, God calls on His followers to rely on Him, as He says:

"When My servants ask about Me, I am indeed close to them. I listen to the prayer of every supplicant, when he calls on Me. Let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me, so that they may walk in the right way." (2:186)

If God tells us through this verse that He hears the prayer of EVERY supplicant, how on earth could this relationship be considered "impersonal"?

Also in the Qur'an, God tells us that all creation praises Him in its own way. If that's not a sign of a deep relationship between Creator and the created, then I don't know what is:

"Art thou not aware that it is God whose limit­less glory all [creatures] that are in the heavens and on earth extol, even the birds as they spread out their wings? Each [of them] knows indeed how to pray unto Him and to glorify Him; and God has full knowledge of all that they do:" (24:41)

Furthermore, while God tell us that this message (that is, the message of the Qur'an revealed unto the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him and his family) confirms the truth of what has been revealed previously (i.e., the Torah and the Gospels), we must be careful when making comparisons between religions. If calling God the "Father" makes you feel nearer to your Creator, then so be it. Do not, however, assume that others cannot call God by another name and still have an intimate, close relationship with their Lord. That is short-sighted, close-minded, and unfair--especially if such a claim is made WITHOUT having truly studied what God says in the Qur'an.

Moreoever, Muslims believe God to be the Most Powerful (that is one of His names), and it is BECAUSE of this belief that they give their hearts completely to the Most Merciful God (Most Merciful is yet another name) and depend on nothing else but God (a central theme of the Qur'an). Therefore, acknowledging that life is tough and that we are weak, and that God is more powerful, more grand than anything in this world renders one completely dependent on his/her Lord, and establishes a deep connection and relationship between God and His worshipper since the worshipper is relying on the Powerful God to take of him/her. The worshipper has complete trust in God to take care of all of his/her affairs, worries, and fears--because God is the the Provider and the Source of Peace. And by the way, the aforementioned dynamic is what makes a Muslim, a Muslim: one who gives and submits his/herself wholly to God and receives a sense of peace in return for doing so.

Lastly, I decided to make my post in response to this user's post because there were several mistakes regarding Islam. I will end with my post with the final correction:

The user claims that calling God Allah is impersonal, and uses the name Jehovah as an example of how a name can be personal and intimate. The user's argument falls short, however, since Allah DOES show that He is the Ever-Living (another name), because, as Muslims believe as well, He has existed before the first and the last. And guess what? The First and the Last are also among His names The fact that these are the same attributes of Jehovah and the God of the Bible just reaffirms for Muslims what has been said in the Qur'an: we all belong and will return to the SAME kind, loving, and Merciful God!

Last edited by abandon ignorance; 04-09-2008 at 06:54 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
I fail to see the logic to call a god God.
I mean that would be the same as naming my daughter Daughter.

Anywayz, I see now how the Tower of Babel came to be.
It was all 1 big misunderstanding; the message got lost in translation.
Nowadays people find the translation (the Bible, Qu'ran or the Torah) more important than the message, which is the same as only reading the (holy) scripture but not applying the lessons therein to modern life.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,079,527 times
I think the Jews might be on to something. They do not say the name.
Afterall, how can any man made word begin to describe God.

Nevertheless, my favorite is "Abba"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or