U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,718,827 times

Advertisements

"Spirituality is imaginary, just like anything else supernatural."

Like Love???? You can't see it but it exists. You can't see any emotions but they exist.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,877,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Spirituality is not a useful term; I've already described why. Typically, the term is used to describe a feeling or emotional response to something. Why not then just use the proper descriptor rather than such a silly word like 'spirituality'? Because when people like you use it, you're using it to make yourself feel like you're connected or in tune with mystical universal forces or sentient-creator-powers in some way. I call bovine poo on that idea.

When I sit on top of a mountain I've just climbed, and look out over the snowcapped ranges, I feel something. I feel awe, appreciation, pleasure, a sense of insignificance. Someone like you immediately grasps these feelings and emotions and goes "AHAH!! It's GOD talking to me, I can FEEL it!" or "AHAH! We're all connected in some mystical unseen way!!"

Wrong. What you're feeling is nothing 'spiritual'. You're feeling the same awe, appreciation, pleasure, or sense of insignificance that I am. They are perfectly normal human emotions and thoughts. They come from inside your head, in your brain. Nowhere else. Nothing spiritual about them. Spirituality is imaginary, just like anything else supernatural.

Also, Mary had sexual intercourse with a man in order to become pregnant. It may have been Joseph, it may not have been. That's assuming that these persons even existed to begin with.
I honestly don't care what you think or feel or what your evaluation is of your own personal experience . . .that is your business - you have no right to tell other people what their experiences are . . .that's a little arrogant, doncha think?

You haven't cornered the market on "truth."

My personal belief is that everyone arrives at their own version of "truth" - it is all a matter of perspective. I personally do not "believe" in "objective reality." That is my belief. It would be nice if you framed your belief as just that because that is what it is . . .unless you are channeling "divine" insight - LOL!!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM

30,924 posts, read 31,815,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Like Love???? You can't see it but it exists. You can't see any emotions but they exist.
Oh, but one can see how love effects the brain with the proper tool, and there is nothing spiritual about it. Watching New Love as It Sears the Brain - New York Times

Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,718,827 times
Most people think God is love so why the argument anyway? More people believe than don't believe. Not many athesists out there if you believe the stats.

It's hard to believe everything came from nothing.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM

30,924 posts, read 31,815,566 times
Quote:
Most people think God is love so why the argument anyway? More people believe than don't believe. Not many athesists out there if you believe the stats.

It's hard to believe everything came from nothing.
But that is exactly what you DO believe, isn't it? Your argument for numbers is meaningless you know. A couple of hundred years ago everyone was a believer, but not so today...Atheism is on the increase and you are going to have to live with that fact.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,469,625 times
Quote:

Oh come on, are you that uneducated about what goes on in a human being's brain when they feel emotions or love? Really? Really??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or