U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Christianity never imposed the death penalty - if so please show me the Authority of your statement by showing a New Testament Scripture to support that statement.......
The silence of the NT in regards to the Death penalty is a very loud approval of it.

The use of the Death penalty was routine even for minor crimes. No place in the NT will you find anyone speaking out against the Death Penalty.

Historically the early Christians slaughtered those they considered to be Gnostic or Heretics. At no time in history until recent years do you hear of Christians opposing the Death Penalty. See how the early Christians treated those who disagreed with them. the death Penalty was in full swing. Click on these links:

Christianity and its Persecution of Heretics

Christian debate on persecution and toleration

At no time did the early Christians condemn the death penalty and it was widely used by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 PM

52 posts, read 47,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm not sure how or why Christians would kill someone spiritually, but the question was about New Testiment orders to kill.

I agree that it is rare for Christians these days to follow much of the bible, most specfically the clear command to kill children that curse their parents.

Spiritually dying and ressurecting(spiritual rebirth) is how Christians and Buddhists become enlightened, and liberated from sin.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The silence of the NT in regards to the Death penalty is a very loud approval of it.

The use of the Death penalty was routine even for minor crimes. No place in the NT will you find anyone speaking out against the Death Penalty.

Historically the early Christians slaughtered those they considered to be Gnostic or Heretics. At no time in history until recent years do you hear of Christians opposing the Death Penalty. See how the early Christians treated those who disagreed with them. the death Penalty was in full swing. Click on these links:

At no time did the early Christians condemn the death penalty and it was widely used by them.

The early practices of Judaism are completely abandon by every walk of life. You don't see Jews slaughtering animals and splashing it's blood and burning them as a sacrifice to God. The OT is a lesson in history, and a sign of the times.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakraman View Post
The early practices of Judaism are completely abandon by every walk of life. You don't see Jews slaughtering animals and splashing it's blood and burning them as a sacrifice to God. The OT is a lesson in history, and a sign of the times.
And????

The Death penalty was in use when Jesus(as) walked this earth and it continues to be up to today. Yet, at no point during the early days of Christianity do you read of any condemnation of it in the NT or by the Early Christians.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,428,280 times
Quote:

I am thinking of the story of when Jesus told a group who were getting ready to stone someone. He said those of you who are without sin cast the first stone and no one was without sin.

But in the modern day Islam still stones women.

Yes Christianity has a violent past and yes early Christians killed those they deemed heretics, and those who would not convert.

They don't now.

In modern times Muslims are killing each other because they think they are wrong.

In modern times Muslims are still executed for crimes that they would never be executed for in the west.

In many ways Islam is behaving the way the early Christians behaved 2000 years ago.

But what I don't understand is why Muslims defend the behavior and even compare it to the ancient history of Christianity.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am thinking of the story of when Jesus told a group who were getting ready to stone someone. He said those of you who are without sin cast the first stone and no one was without sin.

But in the modern day Islam still stones women.

Yes Christianity has a violent past and yes early Christians killed those they deemed heretics, and those who would not convert.

They don't now.

In modern times Muslims are killing each other because they think they are wrong.

In modern times Muslims are still executed for crimes that they would never be executed for in the west.

In many ways Islam is behaving the way the early Christians behaved 2000 years ago.

But what I don't understand is why Muslims defend the behavior and even compare it to the ancient history of Christianity.
The comparisons serve as reminders that Christians sometimes forget "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

As for condemning any wrong doing among our selves, I believe we are quite adamant about doing so.

Yes Christians did grow beyond their beliefs and did stop following Christianity about 2000 years ago and no longer follow what was Christianity.

As for executions by Muslims, remove Iran from the picture and they are almost non existent. You can find roughly 3/4 of all of the world's Muslims in 5 Nations. Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. Count the number of executions in those nations.

In 2010 Bangladesh had 9, Malaysia had 1 the others had none.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
And????

The Death penalty was in use when Jesus(as) walked this earth and it continues to be up to today. Yet, at no point during the early days of Christianity do you read of any condemnation of it in the NT or by the Early Christians.

Because Christ didn't openly condemn the practice of torchure and crucifixion somehow makes Christians more violent or something? I don't understand your argument.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The comparisons serve as reminders that Christians sometimes forget "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

As for condemning any wrong doing among our selves, I believe we are quite adamant about doing so.

Yes Christians did grow beyond their beliefs and did stop following Christianity about 2000 years ago and no longer follow what was Christianity.

As for executions by Muslims, remove Iran from the picture and they are almost non existent. You can find roughly 3/4 of all of the world's Muslims in 5 Nations. Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. Count the number of executions in those nations.

THe ways of the OT(i.e. modern Islam)we do not practice. There is no teachings in the NT that is deemed uncivilized. Turn the other cheek, love God, love thy neighbor, absorb the deity of Christ and do as he did, and recieve life eternal. That has, and always will be Christianity.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,732,234 times
According to our friends at Gallup, Muslims and atheist are less prone to support violence, compared to our Christian friends.

Poll: Muslims, atheists most likely to reject violence | The Raw Story

Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,428,280 times
Quote:

Good grief........ In Islamic countries people are executed for being gay, and adultery, by various governments.

In Islamic countries people are stoned and have limbs cut off, and are whipped for punishment.

Yet I have yet to hear any Muslim say all these behaviors are really wrong and ought not happen. Instead I see them justifying them because it is somehow Islamic. Or I see folks saying well..... The West has violence too.

Or gosh there was violence 2000 years ago done by Christians.

Yes Christianity has moved beyond the behavior of 2000 years ago. But as long as Islam uses the Qur'an to justify what it does it will never move forward because I see Muslims as really believing that to change is to somehow go against Islam.

Even 1 stoning or hanging or decapitation, or limb removal is one to many and barbaric.

Islam really looks very inflexible in my opinion much of the time and the Muslims here reinforce that view in almost all the posts.

Some of the most backwards laws are on the books in Muslim countries.

As to your jab at Christianity, I would suspect that 500 years from now Islam will look differently then it does now. History has a way of doing that. All religions evolve and change and to think otherwise is not being realistic. History has a way of doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or