U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,979,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
They'd be angry, but then again they're always angry.
Sometimes it feels like that, but I get the sense it's more that the ones who aren't angry are less newsworthy. I know of some Muslims who are quite mellow people, but the Muslims who are just chilling in Cairo eating ice cream and watching football (what we call soccer) or whatever are not particularly interesting from a news perspective. The closest I've seen was an article once discussing the popularity of Chucky-Cheese and family-restaurants with Muslim immigrants.

It's like with Catholic priests. Are you going to hear about the ones teaching Geography in poor neighborhoods or the ones raping someone? The ones raping someone of course, because that's a story. Or Evangelicals. Are you going to hear about the ones minding their own business in rural Missouri or are you go to hear about the ones burning Qur'ans or attacking gay people? The answer is pretty obvious. Or atheists for that matter. Atheists just tootling around living their life are going to provide less drama than atheists who are confrontational activists on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,288,969 times
I'm sorry I'm late to the party. I'm here to profess - 'cause I don't wanna die. Is it too late?
Or are there already hitsquads on their way to my place? DAMN IT!!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

11,195 posts, read 11,010,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Religious fanatics are certainly loons. Get rid of them, and liberals, and the world would be a lot more stable.
Who would be left if you did that?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,294,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Who would be left if you did that?
Good point. Each and every Human is probably seen as either a Fundamentalist, Radical, Liberal, Extremist or even a terrorist by some people. I would venture to say that in our life we will be seen as being each and every one of them, depending on who is looking at us.

One man's liberal is another man's extremist.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,913,742 times
Quote:
There is no separation of church and state in sharia run countries.
I'm sure there are Muslims who believe that, and prefer no separation of church and state, just as you'd find Christians in America who oppose any notion of separation of church and state.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

335 posts, read 324,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure there are Muslims who believe that, and prefer no separation of church and state, just as you'd find Christians in America who oppose any notion of separation of church and state.
The thing is, one exists and one doesn't. We are dealing with the one that does.

It would be a nightmare if America incorporated this style of governance.

Mahmud Ahmadinejad is only the president, not the supreme leader. Imagine America's president under the authority of Pat Robertson, or Jeremiah Wright.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,649,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why do we assume that Muslims even those in Iran would collectively agree with this ruling?
Their silence implies complicity.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

335 posts, read 324,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There may be a side to this story that the Media has "forgotten" to mention.

SOURCE
Or this: Iranian Pastor Increasingly Likely To Face Death Penalty Under New Charges | Fox News

First he is a Muslim apostate, turned Christian.

Then, for supposed rape and extortion.

Now, he is a Zionist.

Seems like they really know what they are doing over there. I'm sure he will get a fair trial just before they kill him.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,294,416 times
Quote:
Or this: Iranian Pastor Increasingly Likely To Face Death Penalty Under New Charges | Fox News

First he is a Muslim apostate, turned Christian.

Then, for supposed rape and extortion.

Now, he is a Zionist.

Seems like they really know what they are doing over there. I'm sure he will get a fair trial just before they kill him.
Iran is often at odds even with other Islamic countries. They are the only nation that has Shi'i as the National religion and the only one who uses the Jafa'ari Madhab of Sharia.

All I can say is Iran is Iran and it's actions are the actions of Iran,only.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,979,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Their silence implies complicity.
I don't know if that follows in this case. Before the "Arab Spring" Iran had some big thing of protests, but it was mostly crushed.

I imagine many to most Iranians would probably not risk their own life to help an apostate Muslim, so maybe that's some level of complicity, but that seems a bit unfair of a way to state it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or