U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times

Advertisements

What do Muslims have against man's best friend? Dogs have helped humans in so many ways...Without dogs the Inuit probably could not have populated the Arctic...All over the world dogs hunt for us, herd sheep in terrain that would be impossible without them, they guide the blind, they guard us, they warn us of danger. There are dogs that rescue humans, and there are even dogs that can sense and warn their owners of an oncoming epileptic seizure.

Quote:
Spanish authorities are investigating the recent deaths by poisoning of more than a dozen dogs in Lérida, a city in the northeastern region of Catalonia that has become ground zero in an intensifying debate over the role of Islam in Spain.
Muslims in Spain Declare Jihad on Dogs :: Hudson New York
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,432,494 times
sanspeur....you've heard of mass mentality??? get a bunch of angry people together and you get nothing but ...judgements, disriminations..hypocricies......yet I don't think it is exclusive to any one denomination...or faith.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
"As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities." - Voltaire.

Something that can be see exhibited all to frequently on the evening news.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
When my husband and I were in Israel this past summer, we were told that many Muslims really do hate dogs, and that this hatred stems from an incident involving a dog attacking Muhammed hundreds of years ago.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Dogs are only mentioned in the Qur'an in one place and that is in Sura Khaf, in which it is noted a dog was counted among the inhabitants.

The Qur'an has many ayyats pointing out that all animals are to be treated withkindness.

There are several ahadith that mention dogs, Mostly about people being rewarded by Allaah(swt) for feeding or watering a dog and at least one telling of a women condemned to hell for mistreating a dog.

However, the problem arises in that there is a Hadith that states it is permissible and required to kill a Rabid Dog. Some people seem to ignore the word Rabid.

Muslims have for a long time and still do have dogs as Guard dogs, Herd dogs, Hunting dogs etc. There is a restriction that any animal kept must be kept for a purpose. If we have no purpose for it, we must either give it away or set it free. Muslims are forbidden to buy or sell most animals, but they can be given away if we have raised them ourselves. No profit is to be made off of any animal, but it is permissible to charge the actual cost of raising and carrying for it.

I can think of 2 dog breeds that have long been bred by Muslims, the Afghan and the Saluki. The Saluki is often considered to be a gift from Allaah(swt).

Muslims overall are not much for having indoor pets as we consider it to be a form of disrespect if we pray in an area an animal has defecated in, and if you ever had a puppy you know accidents will happen. However, many Muslims throughout the world do keep outdoor working dogs and house dogs as companion animals for those with disabilities is getting to be popular.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
To add to the above there is a country in which the people believe dogs are evil and were created by the Devil. that belief predates the country's acceptance of Islam and persists even now.

Since the country is predominately Muslim, many people now believe that is an Islamic Belief.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,341,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you lived in Spain Sans, you'd be poisoning the bastards too. The damn things are everywhere...barking day and night. Come down for a visit mate and see if you can get just one night of uninterrupted sleep.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 AM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
If you lived in Spain Sans, you'd be poisoning the bastards too. The damn things are everywhere...barking day and night. Come down for a visit mate and see if you can get just one night of uninterrupted sleep.

I guess I'm glad I don't live in Spain then...Here many of my neighbors have dogs, but it is almost always quiet, as there are stiff animal control laws. Are the problem dogs there running loose, or not controlled?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 AM

570 posts, read 636,704 times
Suddenly everyone jumped to attack the Islamic religion without giving themselves even a little period of time to understand the real issue here .
This is how you always treat us
I do not agree of poisoning those dogs in regard of the reasons ... But I think those who were affected have another opinion than the others .
Therefore I do not blame them nor encourage them .

Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,341,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I guess I'm glad I don't live in Spain then...Here many of my neighbors have dogs, but it is almost always quiet, as there are stiff animal control laws. Are the problem dogs there running loose, or not controlled?
Both but the main problem is that Spaniards think it's 'cool' to have three or even four dogs at each house. Within a quarter mile radius of my house there are six houses with dogs. Between those six houses there are 25 dogs. Except for week-ends the home owners are rarely there to control the barking and don't control it even when they are.

After reading your thread I'm hoping that that a couple of Muslim families move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam