U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I doubt that the numbers killed by the Crusaders or even the Inquisition come anywhere near those killed by Stalin, Mao and Hitler. There simply weren't that many people in the area affected by the Crusades (although I'm sure they did their best), and I doubt that the people killed in the Inquisition numbered more than thousands, certainly not tens of millions. (They took too much time with each victim...they didn't have air forces, machine guns or long-range artillery.)
The numbers will be much higher for Mao. Stalin and Hitler. But the percentages will be greater for the atrocities committed by people who claim a religious belief. For example:

100% of the original Ebionites were wiped out by the early Christians acting in the name of Christianity.

Nearly 100% of the Sabians/Mandeans were exterminated by by people calling themselves Jews, Christians and Muslims.

My Ancestors the Lietuva Lipkas were 100% exterminated from Poland and Lithuania by the Teutonic Knights during the Crusades of the North, all killed except for the few that converted to Christianity.

I am not saying that religion causes atrocities, I am saying that people will misuse religion to commit atrocities. Simply because the majority of people profess to belong to a religion. Because a person professes to belong to a religion does not mean they follow it or even believe in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM

19,859 posts, read 14,736,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The numbers will be much higher for Mao. Stalin and Hitler. But the percentages will be greater for the atrocities committed by people who claim a religious belief. For example:

100% of the original Ebionites were wiped out by the early Christians acting in the name of Christianity.

Nearly 100% of the Sabians/Mandeans were exterminated by by people calling themselves Jews, Christians and Muslims.

My Ancestors the Lietuva Lipkas were 100% exterminated from Poland and Lithuania by the Teutonic Knights during the Crusades of the North, all killed except for the few that converted to Christianity.

I am not saying that religion causes atrocities, I am saying that people will misuse religion to commit atrocities. Simply because the majority of people profess to belong to a religion. Because a person professes to belong to a religion does not mean they follow it or even believe in it.
I always wonder if this world would be overpopulated if all of the killings never happened? Not to be morbid, but all of those people who were killed would have multiplied their numbers through children. We may have over 10 Billion people on earth if that was the case.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-13-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 4,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Christians Burning people alive in Kenya suspected of witchcraft - YouTube

WARNING: Graphic Content!!! Do NOT click and claim offense.
Those aren't Christians. We don't do that sort of stuff.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankUMayIHaveAnother? View Post
Visit North East India, Kenya, and a few other countries I can think of.

Yes, all religions have idiots who do not follow the teachings of their faith.

Some Christians are not very Christian.

Just as we have Muslims who do not follow Islam.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 2,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Visit North East India, Kenya, and a few other countries I can think of.

Yes, all religions have idiots who do not follow the teachings of their faith.

Some Christians are not very Christian.

Just as we have Muslims who do not follow Islam.
Then they are not Christians. Look at what the religion teaches, not the actions of people claiming to adhere to it.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndAnother? View Post
Then they are not Christians. Look at what the religion teaches, not the actions of people claiming to adhere to it.
Exactly.

Which is what I have been trying to tell people about us Muslims. No person or even group of people represents the teachings of any religion.

Each person is an individual and we all should concentrate on that instead of hollering "Look at what XYZ religion teaches them to do."

Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,913,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankUMayIHaveAnother? View Post
They will probably say the same about you, in that, you are not obeying the bible (Exodus 22:18).

Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,996,789 times
Any act of torture, murder, etc. can be justified by reference to a so-called holy book. So can any act of kindness. The problem is that a deity is invoked by those committing all these acts. And when 'God is on my side', a holy imprimatur is invoked which covers all these acts, making the believer blameless.

Ethics should not depend on belief in a god. Many defendants at the Nuremburg Trials used the defense of 'I was only following orders'. It seldom worked.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,748,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Very true AND they are obeying the word of god (Exodus 22:18). Whether or not these people are indeed witches is THEIR guess and conclusion. Also, the command explicitly isolates the punishment to women (why, of course!) so they are obeying and disobeying at the same time.
Is that the "shall suffer no" sentence? Modern scholars believe the original Sadducce meant "poisoner" not "witch". Also, the word "witch" supposedly comes from Olde English and means "wise-woman" like shaman women and the such... who I suppose were in the business of selling potions, or "poisons" meaning drinks derived from plants and flowers.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,214,711 times
Ah Africa. Certainly the most beautiful hell-hole on the planet.

Any Christians watching this who still aren't convinced that we are truly descended from apes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam