Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

Christians Burning people alive in Kenya suspected of witchcraft - YouTube

WARNING: Graphic Content!!! Do NOT click and claim offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. - Voltaire.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. - Voltaire.
Very true AND they are obeying the word of god (Exodus 22:18). Whether or not these people are indeed witches is THEIR guess and conclusion. Also, the command explicitly isolates the punishment to women (why, of course!) so they are obeying and disobeying at the same time.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Terrorism, Hatred, Ignorence, Blind Obedience respect no boundries and is not limited to any group, race, religion, Political Ideology, or socio-economic status.

Some times I wake up in hopes I will read my name in the morning obituaries, so I don't have to see or hear any of the latest news.

The thing that comes closest to convincing me that you Atheists are onto something is the fact God(swt) created Humans. But, before the day is up I will see the smile of a child, read of the unselfishness act of somebody, get a phone call from a neighbor checking to see if my wife and I are OK.

After, my morning coffee and a little contemplation, I return to my belief that people over all are very good. Another sip of coffee and I will not allow the actions of some, form my opinion of all. Some people are rotten, but they only represent themselves.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Terrorism, Hatred, Ignorence, Blind Obedience respect no boundries and is not limited to any group, race, religion, Political Ideology, or socio-economic status.

Some times I wake up in hopes I will read my name in the morning obituaries, so I don't have to see or hear any of the latest news.

The thing that comes closest to convincing me that you Atheists are onto something is the fact God(swt) created Humans. But, before the day is up I will see the smile of a child, read of the unselfishness act of somebody, get a phone call from a neighbor checking to see if my wife and I are OK.

After, my morning coffee and a little contemplation, I return to my belief that people over all are very good. Another sip of coffee and I will not allow the actions of some, form my opinion of all. Some people are rotten, but they only represent themselves.
The longer I live and watch TruTV's "World's Dumbest" and/or read/watch the news, the more I love trees instead. People are crazy but religion often seems to provide nice precedents, excuses, commands and justification to execute some terrible things. To quote Steven Weinberg:

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Needless to say, that might be simplistic and people can find reasons OUTSIDE of religious convictions to kill, but when it is done in the name of religion, the evils can be quite extensive.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
The longer I live and watch TruTV's "World's Dumbest" and/or read/watch the news, the more I love trees instead. People are crazy but religion often seems to provide nice precedents, excuses, commands and justification to execute some terrible things. To quote Steven Weinberg:

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Needless to say, that might be simplistic and people can find reasons OUTSIDE of religious convictions to kill, but when it is done in the name of religion, the evils can be quite extensive.
I will agree with you on this. Yes, the worse atrocities are committed in the name of religion. All religions have within their following some very despicable people who claim (Maybe even believe) they are doing as their religion commands.

It is not limited to the Abrahamic Faiths, it does seem that if terrorists do not have a religion they will build one. Some come to mind the "Aum Shinrikyo" (Now called Aleph) of Japan. The "Tamil" of Indonesia, the "Yazidi" of Iraq etc.

Sadly even among the extremely pacifist Buddhists terrorist organizations are popping up, such as "Democratic Karen Buddhist Army" Also known as ( Democratic Karen Buddhist Association, Democratic Karen Buddhist Organization, Progressive Buddhist Karen Nationals Organization)

I contend that anytime you have any large organization of people, You will find a lunatic fringe group misusing it. If idiots can not find a large organization to be part of, they will make one, Based on any shared trait. ie: Black Panthers, KKK, PKK, IRA, SLA, The Weathermen. etc

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Voltaire was a wise man.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM

31,043 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I will agree with you on this. Yes, the worse atrocities are committed in the name of religion. All religions have within their following some very despicable people who claim (Maybe even believe) they are doing as their religion commands.

It is not limited to the Abrahamic Faiths, it does seem that if terrorists do not have a religion they will build one. Some come to mind the "Aum Shinrikyo" (Now called Aleph) of Japan. The "Tamil" of Indonesia, the "Yazidi" of Iraq etc.

Sadly even among the extremely pacifist Buddhists terrorist organizations are popping up, such as "Democratic Karen Buddhist Army" Also known as ( Democratic Karen Buddhist Association, Democratic Karen Buddhist Organization, Progressive Buddhist Karen Nationals Organization)

I contend that anytime you have any large organization of people, You will find a lunatic fringe group misusing it. If idiots can not find a large organization to be part of, they will make one, Based on any shared trait. ie: Black Panthers, KKK, PKK, IRA, SLA, The Weathermen. etc
I agree with everything except "worse atrocities are committed in the name of religion". Stalin/Mao and Hilter come to mind in killing so many and the first 2 were Athiest and Hitler rejected Christianity even though he was brought up Catholic.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I agree with everything except "worse atrocities are committed in the name of religion". Stalin/Mao and Hilter come to mind in killing so many and the first 2 were Athiest and Hitler rejected Christianity even though he was brought up Catholic.
On a percentage basis the Mayans and Incas did a pretty good job. although much of it was ritual slaughter of humans as sacrifices.

I suspect the Crusaders also come close to matching the numbers tossed up by Stalin, Mao and Hitler. they wiped out numerous cities killing all Muslims, Jews and non-Catholic Christians. The Spanish inquisition was no slouch also. But out of fairness people have had more time to commit atrocities in the name of Religion. Every Religion has had it's share of Terrorist. But I believe they still would have been terrorists no matter what belief or no belief they followed, I even doubt many of them believed the religion they claimed to be part of.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I doubt that the numbers killed by the Crusaders or even the Inquisition come anywhere near those killed by Stalin, Mao and Hitler. There simply weren't that many people in the area affected by the Crusades (although I'm sure they did their best), and I doubt that the people killed in the Inquisition numbered more than thousands, certainly not tens of millions. (They took too much time with each victim...they didn't have air forces, machine guns or long-range artillery.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam