Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
But, the very same right is already granted to the Jews. In every state Jews are permitted to have civil cases heard by a Rabbi instead of a court appointed Judge.
Hmm, I did not know that. My first reaction is to not like it, but I acknowledge my ignorance of it. Perhaps I will have to look into it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
A Woman in indonesia to be EXECUTED for drinking a beer... a Man in Afghanistan to be EXECUTED for changing religions... Sure "sharia" is a wonderfull system of laws... Woodrow claims "The intent of sharia seems to be that of fair treatment of all people and the elimination of the need for earthly punishment" Sorry Woodrow, stop apologizing for this SAVAGE and HATE FILLED system. This is not justice, this is facsim, and it needs to be completly eliminated.
The majority of us Muslims are just much appalled over things like that as non-Muslims are. That is not shariah. I do agree this does have to stop. Imams around the world speak out against this daily.

I will not apologize for those who commit atrocities and claim they are Islamic.

I have not read about either of those cases, but neither is sharia no matter what they call it. Sharia does not consider Apostasy a crime. If the man in Afghanistan is to be executed for changing religions, it is not a legal execution under Sharia.

As for the girl drinking beer. I am appalled that would happen in Indonesia. The Indonesians follow the Shafi'i madhab and Drinking beer while illegal, is not a capital offense even under the most extreme interpretations of Sharia and most Shafi'i Judges would either impose a fine or simply scold the accused. Shafi'i judges like the Hanafi are supposed to seek a reason for leniency.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
This is Sharia Law for women;

Ethiopia: Women Under Sharia Law - YouTube

Iran Infuriated by Film of Woman's Stoning - YouTube

Sharia Law is an abomination to the liberal standards of the Western world. It imposes second class status to all women.

We must oppose it. These are men who wish to live by the backward ways of the seventh-century birth of their troubled religion.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
The majority of us Muslims are just much appalled over things like that as non-Muslims are. That is not shariah. I do agree this does have to stop. Imams around the world speak out against this daily.

I will not apologize for those who commit atrocities and claim they are Islamic.

I have not read about either of those cases, but neither is sharia no matter what they call it. Sharia does not consider Apostasy a crime. If the man in Afghanistan is to be executed for changing religions, it is not a legal execution under Sharia.

As for the girl drinking beer. I am appalled that would happen in Indonesia. The Indonesians follow the Shafi'i madhab and Drinking beer while illegal, is not a capital offense even under the most extreme interpretations of Sharia and most Shafi'i Judges would either impose a fine or simply scold the accused. Shafi'i judges like the Hanafi are supposed to seek a reason for leniency.
You support this despicable religion by your complicity in being so 'shocked' by their standards of behaviour. You are just as bad as those who commit these atrocities and you are anti-American and anti-Western.

Stop trying to make this backwards religion even slightly useful and relevant to this day and age. Are you really that naive? Or maybe just an ostrich shoving it's head in the sand, conveniently glossing over the nasty bits.

Islam is the antithesis to all the Western world has been thriving to achieve, equality and liberty for all.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
You may want to learn a bit about the Hanafi madhab.

When you speak of sharia, you need to understand what madhab is being spoken of. There is no one thing called Sharia. No matter what madhab we follow we all call our laws Sharia. Be it Shafi'i, Hanbali, Maliki, Hanafi or the Shi'a Jafari along with 3 other schools of sharia that are not considered to be true Madhabs by most Muslims those being Zaidi, Ibadi and Zahiri. What the media and most westerners believe to be sharia is actually wahabi' and in a few instances Salafi. Salafi seems to be attempting to take control in Egypt although it is a rather new American formed Madhab

Most sunni follow one of the 4 earliest Madhabs. Saudi uses the Hanbali, most oriental nation sunni follow the Shafi'i madhab and many non Arab, non oriental Sunni follow the Hanafi. The Shi'i follow only the Jafari, Iran is the only Shi'i nation and the only nation that uses Jafari Shariah as National law.

The Sufi while usually recognized as Sunni do not follow any Madhab for their Shariah and tend to consider the law of the land as being legal Shariah.

The biggest misunderstanding I see is most people are seeing wahabi and Salafi as being sharia. The majority of our lunatic fringe groups seem to be wahabi. Although wahabi originated in the 18th century, it is now gaining a strong foot hold in Saudi, the SWAT region of Pakistan and among the Taliban. It is also being promoted in the UK

Most American Sunni are of the Hanafi Madhab. Followed closely by Shafi'i both being very liberal and progressive Madhabs.

Why is it that Western media never wants to show me the kinder, saner face of Islamic jurisprudence? All I hear about is amputations and stonings and other babarities in far-off lands.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
This is Sharia Law for women;

Ethiopia: Women Under Sharia Law - YouTube

Iran Infuriated by Film of Woman's Stoning - YouTube

Sharia Law is an abomination to the liberal standards of the Western world. It imposes second class status to all women.

We must oppose it. These are men who wish to live by the backward ways of the seventh-century birth of their troubled religion.

The top one is vigilantes in Ethiopia. Ethiopia is a Christian Nation. The terrorists who have done that are not following Islam or sharia.

The bottom video is Iran. Iran is Shi'i and the only Nation on earth that follows Jafarri Law. that is Jafarri, an unrecognized and considered heretical set of laws calling themselves Sharia

Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The top one is vigilantes in Ethiopia. Ethiopia is a Christian Nation. The terrorists who have done that are not following Islam or sharia.

The bottom video is Iran. Iran is Shi'i and the only Nation on earth that follows Jafarri Law. that is Jafarri, an unrecognized and considered heretical set of laws calling themselves Sharia
I just watched the top video. My error it is not about any event in Ethiopia. It is from the SWAT region in Pakistan. Pakistan is and has been engaged in a war with terrorists coming our of Afghanistan. This is not Sharia, it is an act of terrorism by some calling themselves Taliban.

While I am at it Taliban is also a misused word. It is the Arabic word for Students, generally used to mean College Students. Talib is the single word =Student. Taliban is the plural.

Many Arab speaking people are confused as to why the US calls college students terrorists.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I just watched the top video. My error it is not about any event in Ethiopia. It is from the SWAT region in Pakistan. Pakistan is and has been engaged in a war with terrorists coming our of Afghanistan. This is not Sharia, it is an act of terrorism by some calling themselves Taliban.

While I am at it Taliban is also a misused word. It is the Arabic word for Students, generally used to mean College Students. Talib is the single word =Student. Taliban is the plural.

Many Arab speaking people are confused as to why the US calls college students terrorists.
Sharia at work in Germany...

Critical Split: Sharia breeds anger in Germany - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Sharia in the UK.

Sharia courts conquer UK - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Sharia in Australia...

Muslim Sharia Law In Australia - YouTube

The real Islam...

Sharia for America Imam Choudary on CNN - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam