U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 AM

18 posts, read 120,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Excellent and informative. I am so thankful to have been raised in Muslim countries. I read the Quran many years ago - if only people would live more by the Quran than not. Thank you.
You are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,839 times
It does not behove a Prophet that he should have captives until he engages in regular fighting in the land. If you take captives, except in regular fighting, you will be regarded as desiring the goods of this world, while ALLAH desires for you the Hereafter. And ALLAH is Mighty, Wise (8:68)

This verse cuts at the root of not only slavery practice in years gone by but also demolishes any supposed justification of modern day hostage-taking and hijacking of innocent people not involved in actual combat.

In his farewell address the Holy Prophet of Islam gave special instructions regarding good treatment which should be meted out to prisoners. The Holy Prophet said:

O men, you still have in your possession some prisoners of war. I advise you, therefore, to feed them and to clothe them in the same way and style as you feed and clothe yourselves ..... To give them pain or trouble can never be tolerated.

Waseem,
i don't even have a words to thank you but i just say Allah bless you ..
it's difficult to find a person like you and what you are doing is honorable for you, islam and muslims people ..........once again thans alot from heart.
"ALLAH YHFAZAK"

Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziin_7 View Post
Waseem,
i don't even have a words to thank you but i just say Allah bless you ..
it's difficult to find a person like you and what you are doing is honorable for you, islam and muslims people ..........once again thans alot from heart.
"ALLAH YHFAZAK"
Zin_7.... May Allah Almighty bless you too & and may Allah make this world a place of love and peace for all of us (all human beings regardless of their faith, color, race, religion, nationality)
thank you for your best wishes.

[LOVE FOR ALL, HATRED FOR NONE]

Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM

508 posts, read 1,549,229 times
If Islam is all about peace and living in harmony with your neighbor, how do you explain the actions of the founder of the Muslim religion? How do you justify the fact when Muhammad attempted to create a peaceful religion in Mecca and was unsuccessful in converting Jews to Islam he declared jihad and went on a blood thirsty campaign of conversion. The Quran is split in two parts, the first of which covers the years in which Muhammad was peaceful and tolerant while he was in Mecca and the second part being the time in Medina which was violent and aggressive.

Muhammad himself told his followers, "Who relinqueshes his faith, kill him. I have been ordered by Allah to fight with people till they testify there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger."

How do you justify the versus in Surah 9:5 which states "Fight and slay the pagans wherever you find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them at every strategem."

or Surah 5:33 which states "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and his Messenger, and strive with might and main for michief through the land is: execution, or crucifixtion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter."

or Surah 5:51 which states, "O you who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians as friends and protectors: they are but friend and protector to each other. And he amongst you that turn to them is of them."

or Surah 9:30 which states, "The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah and the Christians call Christ the Son of Allah . . . Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded from the truth."

The god of Islam is not the God of Christianity. As Mark Gabriel said, "For Jesus, God is a loving father; for Muhammad Allah is a demanding master. This description sets the tone regarding love for all their other relationships . . . Allah finds new believers who will serve him better. In contrast, God the father searches for the one lost lamb until He finds it and brings it home rejoicing. This is the difference between Allah and God."

1 John 4:16 "God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him."
Jer. 33:3 Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and might things, which you do not know."

Christ is about love, especially for your enemy for it is easy to love those who love you but hard to love those who hate you. In fact Christ even healed the Roman soldier who was injured trying to arrest Christ and Christ commanded his apostles not to defend him against the Romans for he who lives by the sword dies by the sword. Muhammads track record would indicate a very different outcome had he been places in the same situation as Christ.

People say that Islam is about peace and tolerance but a tree is known by its fruits. It was Ayatollah Khomeini who declared: "The purest joy in Islam is to kill and be killed for Allah." 1400 years of violence, attrition, murder, bloodshed, and outright hatred for Jews and Christians would tend to support this idea. You say that fundamentalists are the one's responsible for the violence and terrorist activity. Fundamentalism is defined as a usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles by the American Heritage Dictionary. Based on the evidence these fundamentalists are by definition doing exactly as they should according to the Quran and are simply devoute followers of the examples set forth in the Quran and by Muhammad.

There is absolutely no way these religions can ever be compatible but luckily Christians will still love their enemies because that is what Christ taught.

What exactly is misunderstood about Islam?

Muhammad himself told his followers, "Who relinqueshes his faith, kill him. I have been ordered by Allah to fight with people till they testify there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger."

People say that Islam is about peace and tolerance but a tree is known by its fruits. It was Ayatollah Khomeini who declared: "The purest joy in Islam is to kill and be killed for Allah." 1400 years of violence, attrition, murder, bloodshed, and outright hatred for Jews and Christians would tend to support this idea. You say that fundamentalists are the one's responsible for the violence and terrorist activity. Fundamentalism is defined as a usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles by the American Heritage Dictionary. Based on the evidence these fundamentalists are by definition doing exactly as they should according to the Quran and are simply devoute followers of the examples set forth in the Quran and by Muhammad.

The Muslim religion was founded by a man who based his philosophy around the central theme of "convert or die." He was a polygamous pediphile (by modern standards) who, after the death of his first wife of 25 years married a child of no more than 5 or 6 years old named Aisha and had a total of about 12 wives depending on the source. He hated Jews and Christians and commanded all faithful Muslims to ""Fight and slay the pagans wherever you find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them at every strategem." Surah 9:5 He cursed Christians and Jews alike saying, "The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah and the Christians call Christ the Son of Allah . . . Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded from the truth." Surah 9:30

Lets take a look a further look at the peaceful nature of Muhammad and the foundations of the Muslim religion.

January 623 A.D. - Muhammad led an attack on 4 merchants attempting to sell raisins and honey. He killed the 4 merchants and took 1/5 of the loot. This took place during a month which was delcared sacred and off limits for war or fighting by Muhammad.

How did he justify this murder? He wrote a "revelation"
Surah 2:216
"Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that you hate a thing which is good for you and it may happen that you love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, you knew not."
Surah 2:217
"They question you (O Mohammed) with regard to warfare in the sacred month. Say: Warfare therein is a great transgression but to turn men from the way of Allah and to disbelive in Him and the inviolable place of worship and to expel its people thence is a greater transgression, for persecution is worse than killing"

March 623 A.D. - Muhammad's gang killed 200 people and took 70 prisoners while Muhammad hid in a mud hut and threw rocks at people. Afterwards, the gang beheaded an outspoken opponent of Muhammad and threw the severed head at the feet of Muhammad who yelled out, "Rejoice! Here lies the head of the enemy of Allah! Praise Allah, for there is no one but He!"

How did he justify this? Another "revelation"
Surah 8:65
"O Prophet exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you 20 steadfast,they will overcome 200 and if there be of you a 100, they shall overcome a 1000, because the disbelievers are a folk without intelligence"
Surah 8:67-68
"It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he hath made slaughter in the land. You desire the lure of this world and Allah desires for you the hereafter and Allah is Mighty, Wise.. Now enjoy what you have won as lawful and good and keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is forgiving, merciful."

March - April 623 A.D. - Muhammad assisnated Abu 'Afak and Asma bint Marwan who were two of the most famous poets of Medina and openly spoke againts Muhammad.

After the death of Asma bint Marwan, Muhammad told the assasins, "You have done a service to Allah and his Messenger, her life was not worth even two goats!"

April 623 A.D. - Muhammad attempted to slaughter the Jewish villiage of Banu Qaynuqa - a settlement of tradesmen and goldsmiths. Abdallah Ibn Ubayy stood up to Muhammad so instead of killing the villagers, Muhammad took the captive and forced the women to become sex-slaves. Again, Muhammad took 1/5 of the loot of gold and women.

Surah 8:55-57
"Lo, the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe."

"Those of them with whom you made a treaty and then at every opportunity they break their treaty and they keep not duty to Allah, If you come on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, so that they may remember."

March 625 A.D. - The battle of Uhud. Muhammad attempted to gain the favor of the Jews of Medina and as he was going to war in Mecca. It didn't work and Muhammad botched a surprise attack as he camped above the Meccan army on the slopes of Mount Uhud. Muhammad lost miserably.

Surah 3:140-1
"And if ye have recieved a blow, the disbelievers have recieved a blow the like thereof. These are the vicissitudes which We cause to follow one another for mankind, to the end that Allah may know those who believe and may choose witnesses from among you; and Allah loveth not wrong-doers. And that Allah may prove those who believe and may strike the disbelievers."
Surah 3:153
"When you climbed the hill and paid no heed, while the Messenger (Mohammed) in your rear was calling you to fight. Therefore he rewarded you grief for his grief that he might teach you, not to sorrow either for that which you missed or for that which befell you. Allah is informed of what you do."

March 625 A.D. - Muhammad Bin Maslama kills a famous Jewish poet named Kaab Ibn Al' Ashraf at the request of Muhammad.

May - June 625 A.D. - Muhammad and his army surrounded the Jewish village of Banu-N-Nadir and began destroying palm trees which provided food until the villagers surrendered and were stripped of all their posessions and forced by the sword from their village. Muhammad again took 1/5 of the loot.

The revelation that followed:
Surah 59:2-5
"He it is who hath caused those of the People of the Scripture (Jews) who disbelieved to go forth from their homes unto the first exile. You deemed not that they would go forth, while they deemed that their strongholds would protect them from Allah. But Allah reached them from a place whereof they recked not and cast terror in their hearts so that they ruined their houses with their own hands and the hands of the believers. So learn a lesson, O you who have eyes!
"And if Allah had not decreed migration for them, he verily would have punished them in this world and theirs in the hereafter is the punishment of the Fire!"
"That is because they were opposed to Allah and his Messenger ; and whoso is opposed to Allah (for him) verily Allah is stern in reprisal."
"Whatsoever palm-trees you cut down or left standing on their roots, it was by Allah's leave, in order that He might confound the Evil-Livers."

April 626 A.D. - Murder of Abu Rafi, a Jewish Elder. Several Muslims decided to honor Muhammad by killing Rafi. Afterwards, "there was a fight among them as to who had actually killed Abu Rafi. At this, the Prophet smiled beatifically and started checking their swords. Finally, it was decided that the person who owned the sword which still had traces of food in it, was the winner. Apparently Abu Rafi had just finished his dinner before falling asleep and the sword had slashed through his stomach spilling its contents. Indeed how Benevolent was the Apostle of Peace!"

December 626 A.D. - Massacre, Rape, and Plunder of Banu-L-Mustaliq. Muhammad and his army took captive 2000 camel, 500 sheep, and 500 women after killing all the men and boys in the village. Afterwards, one of Muhammad's soldiers and Muhammad had the following conversation, "We were lusting after women and chastity had become too hard for us, but we wanted to get the ransom money for our prisoners. So we wanted to use the "Azl" (Coitus Interruptus- where the man withdraws before ejaculating)...We asked the Prophet about it and he said: "You are not under any obligation to stop yourselves from doing it like that.." Later on the women and children were given for ransom to their envoys. They all went away to their country and not One wanted to stay although they had the choice."

April - May 627 A.D. - The Massacre of Banu Qurayza. Muhammad attacked this village and at the end, he forced an old Jewih man to read the sentence Muhammad had ordered against the surviving Jews - Death, rape, and slavery. All of the men were bound at the hands and feet and given one chance to convert to Islam before being beheaded and thrown into a trech around the village. Not one Jewish man converted and Muhammad beheaded 900 Jewish men in one day. the women were raped and sold into slavery.

Justification - Muhammad had another revelation:
Surah 4:24
"And all married women are forbidden unto you EXCEPT those captives whom your right hand possesses. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that you seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery..."
Surah 5:51
O you who believe! Take not the Jews and Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is one of them. Lo allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.
Surah 5:64
The Jews say: "Allah's hand is fettered." It is THEIR hands that are fettered and they are ACCURSED for saying so. Nay, but both his (Allah's) hands are spread in bounty. He bestoweth as he will. That which hath been revealed unto thee from thy Lord is certain to increase the contumacy and belief of many of them, And We have cast among them (The Jews) Enmity and Hatred till the day of Resurrection. As often as they light a fire for war, Allah extinguishes it!

February 628 A.D. - Massacre of Jewish tribesmen from Banu Sa'd Tribe, Thirty Jews from Khaybar

January - February 628 A.D. - Murder of Bedouin women, Meccan Caravan

September 628 A.D. - Massacre of over 500 Jews of Khaybar

1971 - 3,000,000 Bangledeshi Hindus killed
1894 - 1896 - 150,000 Armenian Christians killed by Abdul Hamid
July 1974 - 4,000 Christians killed by Fahri Koroturk
1843-1846 10,000 Assyrian Christians including women and children murdered by Muslims
1915-1918 750,000 Assyrians were killed in the name of Islamic Jihad
Sept 11, 2001 - Almost 3000 Americans killed at the hands of Islam.

This religion was founded by a murderous barbarian and has continued it reign of terror for over 1400 years. You tell me what is misunderstood. The history speaks for itself. Many of you may say that similar things have been done in the name of Christianity and you would be right except that it wasn't Christ out there killing, raping, and plundering. Christ even healed those who would take him to his death and loved them as much as he loved his disciples. Muhammad set the example and the so called fundamentalists are simply following the ways of their prophet. I wish it weren't so, but facts are facts.

For three thousand years since the time God gave Jerusalem to Abraham, there has been little peace in the City of God. Unfortunately, the Jews after being warned in 2 Chronicles 7:19-20 "If you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go serve other gods, and worship them, then I will uproot you from My land which I have given to you, and this house, which I have sanctified for My name I will cast out of my sight, and will make it a proverb and byword among all people." ended up giving credit not to God but to idols that they had made for themselves.

God gave his judgement on them for this disobedience in Jeremiah 9:13-16 "Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it, but they have walked according to the dictates of their own hearts and after the Baals . . . I will scatter them also among the Gentiles."

Fastforward roughly 1600 years to the time when the barbarian Muhammad came on the scene and became a military leader and lets see how it might have come to be that Muhammad the military leader of a group of rebels decided it was divine inspiration that he and the Muslims were granted the right to Jerusalem. Muhammad had already shown himself to be power hungry, greedy, and willing to murder, rape, and destroy in order to gain power and wealth. Jerusalem is situated in the Judean hillsides which were easily defensible and roughly 30 miles to the Mediterranian. Almost all major highways connecting Egypt, Europe, and Africa were controlled by Jerusalem. Whoever was in control of Jerusalem was in control of the entire Middle East both economically and militarily. Sounds like a perfect spot for a power hungry, blood thirsty maniac like Muhammad to set his sights on.

From the moment Muhammad recognized the strategic power of Jerusalem, he made it his goal to take control of the city. At first he tried to do it peacefully by converting the Jews to Islam. Because they remained in their faith, Muhammad had a revelation from "Allah" which gave him and all Muslims the right to fight and kill the Jews and anyone who helped them (Christians) in an effort to gain control of Jerusalem and that is exactly what the Muslims have been doing now for the past 1400 years.

That is why the Muslims want control of Jerusalem. They want the political and economic power that comes from controlling the City of God.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Default Islam and Terrorism....a presentation to wipe out the misconceptions.

Dear Friends,
In continuity of the topic I am presenting here an extract from the book "An apology for Mohammed and the Koran. 1869. Pages 141-144 written by John Davenport The book is available in Archive.org "

“In proof of the correctness of the view thus taken by the historian of the tolerant character of Mohammed, the following public document is here inserted, being extracted from a work entitled ‘A Description of the East and other Countries,' by Richard Pococke, Bishop of Meath, and published in 1743, vol. i. p. 268. The high character of its author for piety, integrity and learning is a sufficient voucher for the authenticity of the document which is as follows :—

The Patent of Mohammed, which he granted to the Monks of Mount Sinai, and to Christians in general.

"As God is great and governeth, from whom all the prophets are come, for there remaineth no record of injustice against God; through the gifts that are given unto men, Mohammed, the son of Abdallah, the Apostle of God, and careful guardian of the whole world, has written the present instrument, to all those that are his national people, and of his religion, as a secure and positive promise to be accomplished to the Christian nation and relations of the Nazareen, whosoever they may be, whether they be the noble or the vulgar, the honourable or otherwise, saying thus:

I. Whosoever of my nation shall presume to break my promise and oath which is contained in this present agreement, destroys the promise of God, acts contrary to the oath and will be a resister of the faith (which God forbid!) for he becometh worthy of the curse, whether he be the king himself or a poor man, or what person soever he may be.

II. That whenever any of the monks in his travels shall happen to settle on any mountain, hill, village, or in any other habitable place, on the sea or in deserts, or in any convent, church, or house of prayer, I shall be in the midst of them, as the preserver and protector of them, their goods and effects, with my soul, aid and protection, jointly with all my national people, because they are a part of my own people, and an honour to me.

III. Moreover, I command all officers not to require any poll tax of them or any other tribute, because they shall not be forced or compelled to anything of this kind.

IV. None shall presume to change their judges or governors, but they shall remain in their office without being deposed.

V. No one shall molest them when they are travelling on the road.

VI. Whatever churches they are possessed of, no one is to deprive them of them.

VII. Whosoever shall annul any of these my decrees, let him know positively that he annuls the ordinance of God.

VIII. Moreover, neither their judges, governors, monks, servants, disciples, or any others depending on them, shall pay any poll tax or be molested on that account, because I am their protector, wheresoever they shall be, either by land or sea, east or west, north or south; because both they and all that belong to them are included in this my promissory oath and patent.

IX. And of those that live quietly and solitary upon the mountains, they shall exact neither poll tax nor tithes from their incomes, neither shall any Mussulman partake of what they have, for they labour only to maintain themselves.

X. Whenever the crop of the earth shall be plentiful in its due time, the inhabitants shall be obliged, out of every bushel, to give them a certain measure.

XI. Neither in time of war shall they take them out of their habitation, nor compel them to go to the wars, nor even then shall they require of them any poll-tax.

In these eleven chapters is to be found whatever relates to the monks; as to the remaining seven chapters they direct what relates to every Christian.

XII. Those Christians who are inhabitants, and with their riches and traffic are able to pay the poll-tax, shall pay no more than 12 drachmas.

XIII. Excepting this, nothing more shall be required of them, according to the express word of God, that says: ‘Do not molest those that have a veneration for the Books that are sent from God, but rather, in a kind manner, give of your good things to them, and converse with them, and hinder every one from molesting them.’

XIV. If a Christian woman shall happen to marry a Mussulman, the Mussulman shall not cross the inclination of his wife to keep her from her chapel and prayers and the practice of her religion.*

XV. That no person hinder them from repairing their churches.

XVI. Whosoever acts contrary to this my grant, or gives credit to anything contrary to it, becomes truly an apostate from God and his divine Apostle, because this protection I have granted to them according to this promise.

XVII. No one shall bear arms against them, but, on the contrary, the Mussulmans shall wage war for them.

XVIII. And by this I ordain that none of my nation shall presume to do or act contrary to this promise until the end of the world.

Witnesses:
Ali the son of Abu Thaleb.
Homar, the son of Hattavi.
Ziphir, the son of Abuan.
Saith, the son of Maat.
Thavitt, the son of Nesis.
Amphachin, the son of Hassan.
Muathem, the son of Kasvi.
Azur, the son of Jassin.
Abombaker, the son of Ambi Kaphe.
Ottoman, the son of Gafas.
Ambtelack, the son of Messutt.
Phazer, the son of Abbas.
Talat, the son of Amptolack.
Saat the son of Abbatt.
Kasmer the son of Abid.
Ambtullack the son of Omar.

This present was written by the leader, the successor of Ali, the son of Abu Thaleb; the prophet marking it with his own hand at the mosque of the Prophet (on whom be peace!) in the second year of Hegira, the third day of the month of Machorem.

The Charter which Muhammad (sa) granted to the Christian monks of Sinai is a living document. If you read it, you will see that it breathes not only goodwill, but also actual love. He gave to the Jews of Medina, so long as they were faithful to him, precisely the same treatment as to any Muslims. He never was aggressive against any man or class of men . . . The story of his reception of Christian and Zoroastrian visitors is on record. There is not a trace of religious intolerance in any of this.

The St. Catherine Monastery at Mt. Sinai, which is now in present day Egypt, has been designated by UNESCO as a “World Heritage Site” and is considered to be the oldest active Christian monastery in the world. In fact, the official website of the St. Catherine Monastery at Mt. Sinai proudly commemorates Prophet Muhammad (sa)’s letter of protection. The original version of the letter can be found at the royal treasury in Constantinople in Turkey. A copy is preserved on display at Mt. Sinai.
Saint Catherine's Monastery, Mount Sinai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 AM

40,098 posts, read 26,761,498 times
Islam is an evil deen under Sharia that commands deception of infidels to aid the spread of Islam. It is a barbaric deen practiced by cultural barbarians who shun the civilized world and its freedoms. There is no freedom in Islam . . . ALL is SUBMISSION to Allah under Sharia and enforced by barbaric human punishments.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

4,946 posts, read 7,605,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Islam is an evil deen under Sharia that commands deception of infidels to aid the spread of Islam. It is a barbaric deen practiced by cultural barbarians who shun the civilized world and its freedoms. There is no freedom in Islam . . . ALL is SUBMISSION to Allah under Sharia and enforced by barbaric human punishments.
Exactly!

Trying to pull out some of the more moderate and earlier teachings which by and large have been overwritten by the later and ultimately absolute ones is totally (and strategically) misleading to the overarching tenets and mandates of the "faith", that is, the ultimate subjugation of all populations and governments until they submit to Islam and Sharia.

Just because there are kind and peaceful folks who call themselves muslims does not, and should not mask the true identity of this belief system, the good and kinds ones are folks who haven't given themselves over, as is required, to all the tenets and mandates of the faith, there simply is no room for compromising and interpretation here.

There is something inherently wrong with a "faith" that the more pious one is the more radicalized, violent, and completely uncompromising to all others one becomes.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,733,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
Very informative post Waseem. I didn't know much about Islam. I can say that the Islamic people I've met and hung around with are a most kind and hospitable folk.

Just curious (and please lets try not to change the subject of this thread) but do Muslims consider their God and the Christian God as one and the same?

Most of the terrorism is political not religious. During the American Civil War, both sides tryed to bring religion into it, by claiming that God is on their respective sides, and many claimed to be actually fighting for God.
Islam is a political ideology, and a religion..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,735,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waseem View Post
It is unfortunate that Islam, the religion of peace, hope, harmony, goodwill and Brotherhood had been badly tarnished by the perpetrators of various terrorists acts and barbarism as seen on September 11, 2001.

The purpose of this presentation is to set forth the teachings of Islam so that manifestations of various terrorist acts are fully exposed in the light of Islamic teachings under whose shelter these activities are being committed.

Diplomatic immunity and ethics of war in Islam
Islamic Jihad
Peace and International relations in Islam

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY AND ETHICS OF WAR

According to the Islamic Holy Book - the Quran, God has bestowed honour on every individual irrespective of skin colour, race, nationality, etc. Freedom is one of the great favours of God and its deprivation is a great misery. Under the Islamic dispensation, no one can be made a captive without a just cause. Prisoners can only be taken in the event of a regular declared war or battle and not for any other reason or under any other pretext. The Holy Quran specifically states:

It does not behove a Prophet that he should have captives until he engages in regular fighting in the land. If you take captives, except in regular fighting, you will be regarded as desiring the goods of this world, while ALLAH desires for you the Hereafter. And ALLAH is Mighty, Wise (8:68)

This verse cuts at the root of not only slavery practice in years gone by but also demolishes any supposed justification of modern day hostage-taking and hijacking of innocent people not involved in actual combat.

In his farewell address the Holy Prophet of Islam gave special instructions regarding good treatment which should be meted out to prisoners. The Holy Prophet said:

O men, you still have in your possession some prisoners of war. I advise you, therefore, to feed them and to clothe them in the same way and style as you feed and clothe yourselves ..... To give them pain or trouble can never be tolerated.

More specific commandments on the ethics of war and treatment of prisoners are contained in the fifth verse of the forty-seventh chapter of the Quran. This comprehensive verse can be paraphrased as follows:

"When engaged in a regular battle, it should be fought bravely and relentlessly. War can be continued till peace and freedom of conscience are established. Prisoners are to be taken judiciously. Free men cannot be deprived of their liberty without a just and reasonable cause. When war is over, prisoners should be released as an act of favor or on taking ransom or by negotiating a mutual exchange."

In the history of Islam all these methods have been used for releasing prisoners. A novel method to get release was that the educated prisoners could teach reading and writing to those who were illiterate, in lieu of ransom.

This verse further strikes at the roots of those who would justify modern day terrorism in the name and under the banner of Islam.

Envoys are privileged people in the Islamic system. They enjoy full personal immunity. They are not subject to political ransom, no matter how worthy the cause may be, and to kidnap them is a heinous crime. They must not be killed, molested or maltreated. There are numerous instances from the Holy Prophet's life which illustrate the application of these principles.

Thus Islamic scriptural commandments and the precepts of the Holy Prophet of Islam concerning diplomatic immunity are free from ambiguities. In a nutshell, taking hostages and maltreating envoys and private citizens in any shape and form is totally foreign to the teachings and doctrines of Islam. In other words, the philosophy of Islam totally rejects terrorism.

CONCEPT OF JIHAD IN ISLAM

Through the actions of some elements, the western world visualizes a wrong concept of Jihad (Holy War). The word Jihad conjures up the vision of a marching band of religious fanatics with savage beards and fiery eyes, brandishing swords and attacking the infidels.

Jihad in Islamic terminology means to make an effort, to endeavour and to strive in a noble way. Over the centuries this meaning of Jihad has been obliterated or at least diluted. The critical juncture in the Islamic world requires reviving and recapturing the true and pristine meaning of Jihad.

Jihad can be divided into two broad categories. First is Jihad-e-akbar. This is Jihad against one's own person to curb sinful inclinations, i.e., purification of self. This is the most difficult Jihad and hence in terms of rewards and blessings is the highest category of Jihad.

The second is Jihad-e-asghar. This is Jihad of the sword. This is communal Jihad and presupposes certain specific conditions. The Quran speaks of fighting only against those who first attack Muslims and this is the very condition laid down in other verses of the Holy Quran as well. The so-called verse of the sword in the Islamic scripture is often taken out of context as if it inculcates an indiscriminate massacre of all unbelievers. The Quranic words such as kill whatever you find them apply only in cases where the enemy has first attacked Muslims and apply to those unbelievers and enemies who break their oaths and firm agreements. They do not apply to unprovoked wars and battles. To interpret these verses in any other manner would be a travesty of the lofty ideals of Islam. There is not a single instance in the life of the Holy Prophet where he offered the alternative of the sword or Islam to anyone.

The Western media and even some scholars sometimes ignore the distinction between these two aspects of Jihad. It must be remembered that the Holy Quran does not make Jihad, the holy war, in context of an article of faith. The sayings and traditions of the Holy Prophet render it into a formula for active struggle that invariably and incorrectly tended towards a militant expression. Modern day terrorism is contrary to the purview of the real spirit of the Islamic Jihad.

The presentation of Islam as a crude and barbaric religion which gives itself the right to cause unwarranted human and material suffering and destruction under the guise of Divine authority, is not the kind of Islam we find in the Holy Quran and in the precepts of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him!)

PEACE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS IN ISLAM

Among the attributes of God, the Holy Quran mentions that He is the Source of peace and the Bestower of security (59:23). The establishment of peace and maintenance of security must, therefore, be the constant objective of all Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Every pursuit and activity which disturbs peace is severely condemned in Islam. We find specific injunctions in the Holy Quran:

And create not disorder in the earth after it has been set in order....(7:57; 11:86; 29:37)

Mischief and wickedness are condemned in several other verses and Muslims are commanded to work wholly for peace.

Islam draws attention to factors which tend to disturb or destroy peace and order, and deprecates them. Domination of one group by another in the domestic sphere, or of one people by another in the international sphere is a potent cause of disturbance of peace and is therefore strongly condemned. Economic exploitation of one people or country by another inevitably leads to domination by the exploiters, and develops into a potential threat to peace. The Holy Quran prohibits such exploitation and an economy based on exploitation cannot be beneficial in its consequences, nor can it endure.

Islam visualizes an association of strong and stable states allied together in the pursuance of peace, freedom of conscience and the promotion of human welfare. Treaties or covenants between nations may have to be drawn up which should be done in a straightforward language and should not be evaded or repudiated under the temptation of securing some advantage. In case of difficulties and disputes, it is the duty of Muslims to bring about a peaceful settlement and adjustment.

The Holy Quran teaches that God has sent His revelation to all people from time to time. Many of prophets of the Old Testament are mentioned by name and so is Jesus who with other prophets is honoured and revered by all Muslims. Indeed, the Quran requires belief in the truth of all these prophets. Islam is thus unique and distinct in requiring an affirmation in all prophets wherever they appeared and therefore it seeks to bring about reconciliation between the followers of different faiths and to establish a basis of respect and honour among them. The Quran says:

Surely, those who believe and the Jews and the Christians and the Sabians - whichever party from among these truly believes in ALLAH and the Last Day and does good deeds, shall have their reward with their Lord, and no fear shall come upon then nor shall they grieve (2:63)

The same message is repeated in 5:70. The basic unity of the followers of all faiths is emphatically stressed in the Holy Quran and the creation of discord and disunity by terrorism or otherwise has no place in Islam.

In the domain of international relations, religion and inter-religious relations occupy an important position. Unfortunately, comparatively little attention is paid to this aspect of human relations. It is assumed that religion is a private matter for each individual and should, therefore, have no direct connection with the political, social aspects of life. This assumption is not justified. Islam being an egalitarian religion, is not just a personal faith, but an all-encompassing codes of values and conduct. Islam is and will be a vital factor in human relations and there is a good ground of hope that it might progressively become more effective in promoting unity and accord rather than continue to be required on the part of religious and political leaders to achieve that goal.

I must conclude by saying that whether peace or war, acts of terrorism are not only condemned in Islam but are also pointedly declared alien to the teachings of Islam which in fact means peace through the submission to the Will of God, the Lord of all human beings. Only through conformity to Divine laws can we hope to achieve the ideal of a secure world free of terrorism.

Courtacy of Alislam.
Good treatise on Islam. However, I would dispute one aspect that many people make: Only a small percentage of Islam is extremist. Actually, Wahhabism is the predominant form of Islam practiced in the Saudi peninsula and is rampant in many other places. Between Wahhabism and the other militant factions of both the Sunni & Shiia sects, it is estimated that just over 25% of Islam is extremist with views that are incompatible with democracy & freedom. 25% of over 1 billion people is not a small percentage.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:33 AM

223 posts, read 233,329 times
Sadly, much of the criticism of Islam could be equally levied at Christianity, if we named every Christian combatant a 'terrorist' and quoted the most virulant and violent sections of the Bible in justification, or pointed out all the countries that had 'christian' leadership that also had untennable civil rights situations and complete poverty and degredation.

I'm sorry to say this, but to me, both religions are bat-shizzle insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or