Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:10 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,006,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
impressive resume. but the guy in old town working at the liquor store, i am sure, does not have your education, nor do i. liquor store is what he is working bek that is what he is able to do with what he has. but God does not love him any less, I'm sure nor do I.
True, I agree God(swt) still loves him. A person's choice of jobs is often limited by situations. I was deeply blessed to have been injured as a Military Pilot. My resulting disability provided me with sufficient funding to continue my education beyond what I ever anticipated or could have afforded on my own resources.

Blessings can come from the least expected of sources. It took a limiting of my physical body, to allow my somewhat limited brain to become my source of income. Oddly my body has improved and has continued to improve. I am doing more physical work im my 70s, than I ever did at the age of 20. It is a lot of work training horse and does result in frequent broken bones, especially ribs. I am looking foreword to begin working with the eight foals in the spring, but sort of dread the thought of more broken ribs when I get kicked. Perhaps when this group gets old enough to saddle train, I will be able to afford to hire somebody. I'm getting too old to get thrown many more times.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-15-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM

88,231 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The horse raising/training. It is my current one. Have so far lost a small fortune at it. Last year had 5 horses killed and 17 I planned to sell stolen.

My income for this year was lost when those 17 were stolen as we had planned to sell them this year. It takes about 3 years to properly train a horse so it can be sold at a good price. I have 8 foals from this year and will begin training them this coming spring. But, our best horses were the 5 that were killed. It will be a long time before they can be replaced. We raise primarily Registered Paint and Tennessee Walkers. Last year we began adding Arabians and minis. But at the moment it is just a gigantic expense.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the horses and your trouble. I know horses are a huge expense--my sister kept a few for a while and was breeding them, so I know a little bit. My daughter rides, and we used to go to the Equine Affaire every year in MA. They had all the breeds, including Tennessee Walkers.

Wondering how people get away with stealing horses these days, but I know you are in a different part of the country than I am. I live ten minutes from some very expensive horse farms (in NJ). If memory serves me correctly, you are in the west somewhere.

When you say your horses were killed, do you mean by people?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,006,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the horses and your trouble. I know horses are a huge expense--my sister kept a few for a while and was breeding them, so I know a little bit. My daughter rides, and we used to go to the Equine Affaire every year in MA. They had all the breeds, including Tennessee Walkers.

Wondering how people get away with stealing horses these days, but I know you are in a different part of the country than I am. I live ten minutes from some very expensive horse farms (in NJ). If memory serves me correctly, you are in the west somewhere.

When you say your horses were killed, do you mean by people?
Let us just say that racial prejudice has a way to rear it's ugly head. A few people do not like my wife being Cheyenne and we were sort of told we have no business having our horses pastured off of the Rez. We suspect it was the work of one person who has been quite hostile towards us. The 5 horses were shot.

We are up in North Dakota. we do know who stole the horses and were they were sold at. We are currently in the process of trying to get a conviction and possibly get the horses back. but they have been sold and resold several times already and it is going to be hard to track them down. the 17 were sold at a livestock auction to various horse dealers and have since been resold. The idiot crook only got an average of $200 each. They would have brought at least $5000 each at a horse sale.

But going back to topic. It is possible for a Muslim to earn a living in the USA in a field that does not conflict with our beliefs.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,115,344 times
Woodrow LI: What a terrible sequence of events. I am so very sorry to read of this.

I should think it would be OK for a Muslim to sell liquor or ham to infidels, but not to other Muslims.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,350,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yet, the media seems to never mention the efforts of the majority of Muslims and focuses on the few who cause trouble.
As I said I am aware of some, I am not suggesting there are none. But I must point out I am not very media orientated. I do not use television and radio much. When I say that I see/hear more atheists speaking out against such actions than I do muslim's I mean online too. I go looking for it. I search thoroughly for people decrying the actions on blogs, forums, the internet as a whole and I find vastly vastly more atheists doing so than Muslims. Why is this? Are Muslims generally afraid to speak out against their own for fear of reprisals? Or do they simply not care to?

It is also a little TOO easy to merely dismiss the actions as those of "fundies". It actually matters what people believe too and that needs to be looked at. Merely being fundamentalist does not automatically equate with such horrific actions. Who is better to be around for example? A fundie Muslim or a fundie Jain? The more fundamentalist one becomes the less likely you are to want to be anywhere near them. The more fundamentalist the other becomes the less likely they are to harm anyone or anything. Fundie Jains wear masks to prevent inhaling an insect and harming it. They sweep the street as they walk to prevent stepping on anything they could harm.

So clearly calling someone "fundie" is only half the story. WHAT they are fundamentalist in is also massively important and it is very clear that Islamic beleifs are a lot more likely to lead to harm and bloodshed than that of a Jain. This is, as I keep saying however, more your problem than mine but it is worth highlighting.

Christopher Hitchens was on a television interview during the Mohamad Cartoons Scandal. He was on with a Muslim Cleric. Before the interview Hitchens tells us he asked the interviewer would they be showing the cartoons during the segment. The interviewer said no. Hitchens asked if this was because they wanted to protect people from offense, or whether it was because the network feared reprisals. The interview confirmed it was the latter not the former.

Hitchens simply said to the Cleric "There you go, that is the relationship you and yours have with the media." Little more needed to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam