Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Islam permit wife beatings (spousal Abuse)
Yes and I am Muslim 0 0%
No and I am Muslim 5 15.63%
Yes, I am not Muslim 17 53.13%
No, I am not Muslim 5 15.63%
I don't know 4 12.50%
I don't care 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,755,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The thing is Woodrow that Muslim women would be much less likely to report domestic violence than the rest of the female population...For many it is just a part of everyday life...

Domestic violence among Muslims has long straddled a blurry line between culture and religion, but now scattered organizations founded by Muslim American women are creating a movement to define it as an unacceptable cultural practice. The problem occurs among American Muslims at the same rate as other groups, activists say, but is even more sensitive because raising the issue is considered an attack on the faith.
Muslim American women confront domestic abuse - The New York Times
Well said, Sans . . . the lack of separtion between religion and secular concerns like domestic abuse presents an ongoing and insoluble problem for Islam and those who would promote its spread in civilized societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

22 posts, read 15,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT-Thompson View Post
People are people. There may be Muslims that have no respect for women and because of this loss of respect they in turn may beat their wife. I am a muslim and I love my wife dearly and I greatly respect women (it was how I was raised). I would never hurt my wife in any way (physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.). My point is that just because "a muslim" beats his wife, doesn't mean that "all muslims" beat their wives or that our religion allows it because some muslims my beat their wives due to their lack of respect for women.

If you love/cherish your wife you will protect her.
if you hate/dispise your wife you won't defend her.

Do what Paul said "husbands love your wives"

Muslim (4:1039) - "A'isha said [to Muhammad]: 'You have made us equal to the dogs and the asses'" These are the words of Muhammad's favorite wife, complaining of the role assigned to women under Islam. He married her when she was only 6 and consumated the marriage when she was 9 years old.

The fourth Caliph, who was Muhammad's son-in-law and cousin, said just a few years after the prophet's death that "The entire woman is an evil. And what is worse is that it is a necessary evil."

The many opportunities denied women under Islamic law, from giving equal testimony in court to having the right to exclude other wives from their marital bed, is very clear proof that women are of lesser value then men in Islam. Muslim women are not even free to marry outside the faith without being killed by their own families.

Islamic law also specifies that when a woman is murdered by a man, her family is owed only half as much "blood money" (diya) as they would be if she had been a man. (The life of a non-Muslim is generally assessed at one-third).

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,992,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfeet View Post
Muslim (4:1039) - "A'isha said [to Muhammad]: 'You have made us equal to the dogs and the asses'" These are the words of Muhammad's favorite wife, complaining of the role assigned to women under Islam. He married her when she was only 6 and consumated the marriage when she was 9 years old.
At the moment I'll just address this first paragraph. First read the whole hadith. second Aisha never said Muhammad was the one who answered in fact it sounds like it was not Muhammad. Notice that what is being spoken of is a man is distracted if a woman passes in front of him while he is in prayer. Aisha went on to describe that she often did so in fromt of Muhammad and he was never upset about it. It should also be noticed that the compilations of Muslim are more about the words of the companions and not what Muhammad said.

From Sahih Muslim Book 4,

'A'isha reported: The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said his whole prayer (Tahajjud prayer) during the night while I lay between him and the Qibla. When he intended to say Witr (prayer) he awakened me and I too said witr (prayer).

'Urwa b. Zubair reported: 'A'isha asked: What disrupts the prayer? We said: The woman and the ass. Upon this she remarked: Is the woman an ugly animal? I lay in front of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) like the bier of a corpse and he said prayer.

Masruq reported: It was mentioned before'A'isha that prayer is invalidated (in case of passing) of a dog, an ass and a woman (before the worshipper, when he is not screened). Upon this 'A'isha said: You likened us to the asses and the dogs. By Allah I saw the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) saying prayer while I lay on the bedstead interposing between him and the Qibla. When I felt the need, I did not like to wit to front (of the Holy Prophet) and perturb the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and quietly moved out from under its (i. e. of the bedstead) legs.

Al-Aswad reported that 'A'isha said: You have made us equal to the dogs and the asses, whereas I lay on the bedstead and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) came there and stood in the middle of the bedstead and said prayer. I did not like to take off the quilt from me (in that state), so I moved away quietly from the front legs of the bedstead and thus came out of the quilt.

'A'isha reported: I was sleeping in front of the Mcsseinger ef Allah (may peace be upon him) with my legs between him and the Qibla. When he prostrated himself he pinched me and I drew up my legs, and when be stood up, I stretched them out. She said: At that time there were no lamps in the houses.

I'll let this sink in and come back and address the Marriage of Aisha. But I will ask one Question first. "What is the source that says Aisha was 6 years old"?

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-09-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
The thing is Woodrow that Muslim women would be much less likely to report domestic violence than the rest of the female population...For many it is just a part of everyday life...

Domestic violence among Muslims has long straddled a blurry line between culture and religion, but now scattered organizations founded by Muslim American women are creating a movement to define it as an unacceptable cultural practice. The problem occurs among American Muslims at the same rate as other groups, activists say, but is even more sensitive because raising the issue is considered an attack on the faith.
Muslim American women confront domestic abuse - The New York Times
Sadly Wife abuse is epidemic in all Nations and among all religions. the Stats do seem to show that the frequency is lower among Muslims, but I will accept that could be because of reluctance to report it.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 AM

282 posts, read 295,807 times
beating isn't a daily event ...but it comes at the end of the treatment .and it has dose ;this means you shouldn't beat her with fest ,stick ,belt or such harmful thing.but if you scream at here with medium hit on her back,hand or leg that is acceptable.why...coz you hurt her emotionally more than physically .

is women beating limited in Muslims' society , NO

Does Islam encourage woman beating . NO

Does Islam encourage Muslims to respect the woman , YES this is approved with evidences.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,009,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
beating isn't a daily event ...but it comes at the end of the treatment .and it has dose ;this means you shouldn't beat her with fest ,stick ,belt or such harmful thing.but if you scream at here with medium hit on her back,hand or leg that is acceptable.why...coz you hurt her emotionally more than physically .

Does Islam encourage Muslims to respect the woman , YES this is approved with evidences.
What is the difference between hurting your wife physically or emotionally? It is still ABUSE...Thanks for the confirmation that Muslims still treat their women as chattel and Islam accepts the abuse of women in many countries. One cannot respect women, and at the same time abuse them....

Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
What is the difference between hurting your wife physically or emotionally? It is still ABUSE...Thanks for the confirmation that Muslims still treat their women as chattel and Islam accepts the abuse of women in many countries. One cannot respect women, and at the same time abuse them....
Wife abuse is a world wide problem. It is not because a person is Muslim. Islam forbids abuse, but the fact is there are Muslims who do abuse their wives, but it is not a teaching of Islam.

To find the causes of spousal abuse a person needs to look outside of religious beliefs. It does not seem to be limited to any belief or non-belief system. I can not think of any society in which it is not a major issue.

If religion was the cause one would expect it to be low in the Scandinavian/Teutonic Nations as they seem to be the most secular of Nations. Some interesting Stories that seem to show different.

NORWAY

NCJRS Abstracts

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,339,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post

Resigned, are you saying you believe it is ok to hit her on her back, hand, or leg, and it's ok to scream at her? What do you mean by, "it comes at the end of the treatment"? What is the treatment?

Do you not realize that Woodward has been showing why Islam does not permit abuse, and yet you come on here and say it's ok?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,009,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Wife abuse is a world wide problem. It is not because a person is Muslim. Islam forbids abuse, but the fact is there are Muslims who do abuse their wives, but it is not a teaching of Islam.

To find the causes of spousal abuse a person needs to look outside of religious beliefs. It does not seem to be limited to any belief or non-belief system. I can not think of any society in which it is not a major issue.

If religion was the cause one would expect it to be low in the Scandinavian/Teutonic Nations as they seem to be the most secular of Nations. Some interesting Stories that seem to show different.

NORWAY

NCJRS Abstracts
Is this an "Spousal abuse is OK because others do it" post? The topic woodrow is "Does Islam promote wife beating?" And from what I have seen on the thread so far is that some sects do, and others do not...My question is related...Do the majority of Muslims accept the humiliation of their women?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Is this an "Spousal abuse is OK because others do it" post? The topic woodrow is "Does Islam promote wife beating?" And from what I have seen on the thread so far is that some sects do, and others do not...My question is related...Do the majority of Muslims accept the humiliation of their women?
No it is not ok and Islam does forbid it. I am stating it is not a religious based issue. There are forces besides or in addition that cause the abuse.

No the majority of Muslims do not accept it. Yes even among those who do not accept it and see it as wrong it still occurs. That includes everybody. A spouse abuser will most likely still be an abuser no matter what religion or even non-belief he follows.

The only good is that it is finally becoming recognized as a problem and people world wide are speaking out against it.

On a personal note the worse abuse of woman I have witnessed is in Mexico. There is a concept of Machisimo which demands a man beat his wife. In the border towns there is a tradition the man will beat his wife within the first few days of marriage to let her know who is in charge, and if he does not at least give her a black eye his friends will do the beating for him. I have seen many beaten up Mexican women and their answer is "It is a sign of how much my husband loves me"

This same type attitude seems to also be common in the Arab and Iranian Nations. Even among the non-Muslim populations.

Maybe it's something in the water.

for a small group the Yazidi of Iraq could easily be the most vicious and they consider Yazidiism as being a branch of Christianity. Although Yazidiism is more of an Ancient pagan belief with some Christian features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam