Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times

Advertisements

Woodrow you have spoken about islam in Lithuania and Poland being lost to Christianity.

I read this article about it and it is interesting but it says nothing about Christianity forcing conversions from Islam to Christianity.

Here is the link:

http://islamicreligiouseducation.uni...Nalborczyk.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars

What do you know, I am interested in links you might have.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 12-07-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Woodrow you have spoken about islam in Lithuania and Poland being lost to Christianity.

I read this article about it and it is interesting but it says nothing about Christianity forcing conversions from Islam to Christianity.

Here is the link:

http://islamicreligiouseducation.uni...Nalborczyk.pdf

Lipka Tatars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you know, I am interested in links you might have.
Gladly. One reason so little is mentioned is because nearly every Lietuva Lipkas was either, executed, exiled to Siberia or forced into Catholicism.

If you do not mind I would be very happy to side track this thread into the History of the Lietuva Lipkas (Lithuanian/Polish Muslims of Tatar ancestry)

Here is a good start:

Here are excerpts from some sites:

Quote:
Essellem Gelleikem!

Welcome to the internet site of the Lipka Tatars of the White Horde of Caledonia.

The materials presented here are mainly extracts translated from articles currently available on the internet in the Polish language. The inclusion of such materials here is intended as an aid to bona fide Lipka researchers who would otherwise find such materials inaccessible. Graphical images not appearing in the original articles have sometimes been added. Where possible, current links have been provided to the source materials.

Jakub Mirza Lipka
SOURCE

Poland was primarily of the White Horde. Lithuania was mostly of the Golden Hoard. I have ancestors from both. On a personal note I identify most with the golden Horde as most of my Family has/had very heavy Mongolian Features.

Quote:
Nemėžis is one of several Lithuanian settlements where Lipka Tatars live. Brought as prisoners of war, Tatars were allowed to settle here in 1397 after Vytautas' expeditions against the Golden Horde (see the Battle of Blue Waters). Up until this day they have preserved their traditions and Islamic religion. At first Tatars served as personal guards for the Grand Duke of Lithuania, but later took up more civil professions: breeding horses, tanning, gardening. Eventually Tatars became known as excellent gardeners, growing eggplants, tomatoes, and other vegetables.[2] Even today Nemėžis is known for its numerous greenhouses.[2]

The first wooden mosque in Nemėžis was built in 1684. It burned down but a new one was built in 1909. During the Soviet times it was turned into a warehouse. After Lithuania declared independence, the mosque was returned to the community and it continues to be used for religious services. In 1993 it was restored. It is used for prayer only on Fridays, young moon. On that occasion a mullah comes from Vilnius. Nemėžis mosque is one of four operational mosques in Lithuania. Nemėžis also has an operational Tatar cemetery and a Tatar school.[2]
SOURCE

There is an error in the above. It has only been in recent times Tatars have been permitted to return to Lithuania.

More to come. I have to find my old info about the Genocides of the Tatars during the 1700s

Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Gladly. One reason so little is mentioned is because nearly every Lietuva Lipkas was either, executed, exiled to Siberia or forced into Catholicism.

If you do not mind I would be very happy to side track this thread into the History of the Lietuva Lipkas (Lithuanian/Polish Muslims of Tatar ancestry)

Here is a good start:

Here are excerpts from some sites:

SOURCE

Poland was primarily of the White Horde. Lithuania was mostly of the Golden Hoard. I have ancestors from both. On a personal note I identify most with the golden Horde as most of my Family has/had very heavy Mongolian Features.

SOURCE

There is an error in the above. It has only been in recent times Tatars have been permitted to return to Lithuania.

More to come. I have to find my old info about the Genocides of the Tatars during the 1700s

Woodrow I hope your not cutting and pasting copyrighted material. Infractions come without warning....... Even if you give the site link and credit to the site.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM

The begining of the end for Tatars and Muslims in Lithuania. From a Christian Site.

Quote:
By 1386 only one European race remained largely without Christian influence. That race was the Lithuanians, a fierce people without fixed boundaries who at times controlled quite large portions of Eastern Europe. The gospel had reached Lithuania fifty years before but had not taken root and was extinguished.
Jogaila (Jagiello), Grand Duke of the Lithuanians, was struggling against the Teutonic knights, a quasi-Christian order. These knights had originated as military nurses in a crusader hospital in Jerusalem, but had become the terror of Eastern Europe They conquered much of Prussia. Although their mission was to fight infidels, they turned their weapons against Christians also, seizing whatever lands they could and reducing freemen to serfs. Among the lands they overran were Estonia, Livonia, Prussia and East Pomerania.
The knights repeatedly assaulted Lithuania and were repulsed. Lithuania was no mean state at the time. It owned Eastern Europe from the Baltic to the Black Sea and stretched eastward almost to Moscow. Nonetheless, the Teutonic knights were powerful enough to shut off Poland from the sea. Jogaila looked about for an ally. Poland, having suffered so much from the knights, seemed the natural choice for an alliance. The Poles were agreeable on one condition: Jogaila must convert to Christianity. And so, on this day, February 15, 1386, Jogaila was baptized, taking the name Ladislas. When he returned to Lithuania he was accompanied by many priests.
Jogaila's conversion is important for several reasons. For one, it marked the end of established paganism in Europe. For another, the see of Vilnius was founded. Finally, as part of the deal with Poland, Jogaila married Jadwiga (Hedwig), heiress to Poland's throne. He was a thirty-six year old heathen who did not know how to read. She was a highly literate sixteen year old who had been raised solidly Catholic and had been "ruler" of Poland since the age of eleven. Under Ladislas and his offspring, Poland became a Christian commonwealth, and would eventually enjoy a rare century of relative peace. The Jogaila dynasty eventually ruled Hungary and Bohemia as well. The combined might of Lithuania and Poland destroyed the Teutonic knights, although the masterful king did not bring this about until 1410 in a battle at Tannenberg.
Armies of a hundred thousand men apiece clashed that day. The Teutonic Knights left behind 18,000 dead, 14,000 captives and their Grand Master. It was the beginning of the end of the military prowess of the troublesome order.
By contrast, Lithuanian Christianity lived on. Hundreds of years after the Lithuanian church was founded, people of faith suffered terribly at the hands of the Communists, who even sent their archbishop to his death in prison.
SOURCE

Jogaila was a Muslim Tatar (Family tradition places him as one of my ancestors, but my Grand father was known for some exaggerations so I take that with a grain of salr)

More to Come

Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The begining of the end for Tatars and Muslims in Lithuania. From a Christian Site.

SOURCE

Jogaila was a Muslim Tatar (Family tradition places him as one of my ancestors, but my Grand father was known for some exaggerations so I take that with a grain of salr)

More to Come

Thanks for the info.... Just please watch because infractions come without much warning even if you give credit to the source.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Thanks for the info.... Just please watch because infractions come without much warning even if you give credit to the source.
I have checked out all sources I use to be certain I stay within their guidelines for copying etc.. Anything I paste I either have permission from the site owners or have verified it to be public domain.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM

An overlooked part of History is the Crusade into the Baltics, the so called Northern crusades. During this perion Jews, Pagans, Muslims and non-catholic Christians were either driven out, converted or killed. this is the era during which most of the Lipkas were persecuted in Lithuania.

More can be read about this era of history HERE

Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM

I once did a similar thread on an Islamic Forum. I believe you can view it without joining the forum. Here is a link to it.

Lietuva Lipkas for the curious

Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM

30 posts, read 34,532 times
peace be upon you
islam has a global characteristic;from middle east to the nord of africa ; from europe to the heart of black continent & from Russia to the south east asia.present of islam in many parts of the world in short time is a divine miracle shows that islam is the rightest religion. and statistics of non_ muslims show that in 2025 islam will be the first religion in the world at that time the prophecy of prophet mohammed will be achieved

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
An overlooked part of History is the Crusade into the Baltics, the so called Northern crusades. During this perion Jews, Pagans, Muslims and non-catholic Christians were either driven out, converted or killed. this is the era during which most of the Lipkas were persecuted in Lithuania.

More can be read about this era of history HERE

there were several baltic crusades, and they were aimed against local pagans (the last unconverted pagan areas in europe). I am quite sure there few Jews there at the time - the major move of Jews to Lithuania was after the dynastic marriage to Poland.

wiki says tatars moved north from the crimea to ethnically lithuanian lands under Grand Duke Vytautas. He did not begin to rule till 1392. Lithuania converted to catholicism under his predecessor in 1387, and there were no more crusades at that point.

There was still persecution of non christians, and violence between the Lithuanian state and the Teutonic Knights, and that may be confusing your sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam