U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOblivious View Post
Like the Golden Calf wasn't prayed 'to' but was prayed 'at', they were praying to GOD?
You're being purposely obstinate. The golden calf was an idol and they were worshipping it just as told in the Old Testament. That's why the wrath of God came on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM

24 posts, read 34,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Does that mean you're confused, and don't know which denomination to which you should belong?

The denomination I belonged to was the Church of Christ. It would be very hard to find a cross in any of their buildings, and you definitely won't find pictures of Jesus. I had no crosses or crucifixes or pictures of Jesus in my home. Yet, I was a Christian, still consider myself one, although others may not, but I don't care what others think. So that right there dubunks your whole statement.

Unfortunately for you, I do know the bible well. Which is why I believe it is not infallible, and man's hand has screwed up what God had originally written. The rest of your questions are moot, as I do not have crosses, pics, etc near me, nor do I worship any of them.

I don't kneel when I pray. I have never knelt before a cross in my 41 years. So again, your theory of knowing all Christians is debunked.

I'm not educated enough, and yet you spout off things that are false, and lump some Christians in with all of them. Who is wrong here? It's not me, just so you know. I am educated enough to know that not all Christians are the same. Just because some Christian you know may "worship" crosses and pics, doesn't mean all do.

Again, I don't care about the origins of those images because they mean nothing to me, just as they mean nothing to all other Christians I know.

Practice what you preach. You have just been told at least one denomination has nothing to do with images. Hear it. Realize your first statement was false. But let me guess, only others refuse and deny to hear...because you know it all.
First, you started your first post earlier claiming Catholics weren't 'christians'. Then you retracted after a Catholic called you on it. So, with that, enough was said in your case. lmao @ this.
Btw, nothing I said was false and you know it. Justify it all you want. Again, your "knowledgeable" claim of Catholics not being 'christians' blanketed anything else you say.

Last edited by SimplyOblivious; 01-11-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,345,287 times
Quote:
SimplyOblivious

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte
What christian "worship" those things? Can you give an example? And we don't pray to a replica of Jesus, we pray to Jesus Himself, the "replica" is just art: we know it is an inanimate object with no real life or power. And I am Catholic.
Wow. You've just given an example. Blind much?
So open my eyes and tell me what example I just gave? We worship God and God alone, the twinkets, art, statues...all inanimate objects..they are not God, and we know it. We don't ask a statue to do anything for us.....read up on some Church History., on your Eucemenical Councils...all this debate over so-called "idols" and "icons" is nothing new and was settled for most christians centuries ago.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
So open my eyes and tell me what example I just gave?
Quote:
We worship God and God alone, the twinkets, art, statues...all inanimate objects..they are not God, and we know it. We don't ask a statue to do anything for us.....
read up on some Church History., on your Eucemenical Councils...all this debate over so-called "idols" and "icons" is nothing new and was settled for most christians centuries ago.
If it means nothing, then what is the purpose? Is it still not an engraven image? What you are saying is in total contradiction. Basically, you are saying -yes, we can have all the "TRINKETS, ARTS, STATUES" that we want. Even though the GOD that we say we worship forbids it. Yes, we can practice all the symbolisms that the god we say we worship forbids it. Yes, we know the inanimate objects that are images and symbolisms. But, it doesn't matter because we worship god. Yes, those INANIMATE OBJECTS, TRINKETS, ARTS, STATUES we surround ourselves with is before us, but we are worship god, not the objects... GMAB. Cover/wrap it however you want, its still the same unwrapped. The ONE TRUE GOD won't be fooled nor mocked.

Concealed deceit, no matter the place, name, works, shadow or beautiful packaging is still deceit and darkness.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,873,983 times
Quote:
First, you started your first post earlier claiming Catholics weren't 'christians'. Then you retracted after a Catholic called you on it. So, with that, enough was said in your case. lmao @ this.
Btw, nothing I said was false and you know it. Justify it all you want. Again, your "knowledgeable" claim of Catholics not being 'christians' blanketed anything else you say.
So basically you're saying you don't know how to read, like the person who thought he was calling me out about Catholics? Read it again, and then again if you must. Then you'll see that I never said Catholics are not Christians. I even posted it below for you, to make it easier for you.

Once you realize your error, go back and read my last post, and see IF you can respond.

Quote:
I think you need to know more about "Christians" before you speak. When I was a Christian I did none of the above, and do not know anyone who did/does. I do know Catholics have a lot of crosses and pictures of Jesus, etc...but Catholics are not all Christians...besides the fact that they do not worship those items.
Can you understand it, or do you need help? cmforte is a Catholic, and he understood what I wrote.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So basically you're saying you don't know how to read, like the person who thought he was calling me out about Catholics? Read it again, and then again if you must. Then you'll see that I never said Catholics are not Christians. I even posted it below for you, to make it easier for you.

Once you realize your error, go back and read my last post, and see IF you can respond.

Can you understand it, or do you need help? cmforte is a Catholic, and he understood what I wrote.
oh brother.... What are the rest of the catholics then? Which ones are they? What christian denomination are christians and what christian denomination are not? I'm asking even about your past denomination or present?

Last edited by SimplyOblivious; 01-11-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
oh brother.... What are the rest of the catholics then?
Ok, let me explain my sentence. "But Catholics are not all Christians". Another way I could have said it was, "Not all Christians are Catholics". Or.. "But Catholics do not make up all Christians".

I do apologize if I said it in way that made it hard to understand. I don't care what denomination a person belongs to, if they follow Christ, and claim to be Christians, I do not say otherwise.

Now please go read my other post, that showed you not all Christians have crosses and pics of Jesus in their worship building, or at home, and you can see that your blanket statement of "christians worship these things" is false.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,989,805 times
It did seem to me that the way you originally expressed it ("But Catholics are not all Christians") meant that some Catholics are not Christians. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It did seem to me that the way you originally expressed it ("But Catholics are not all Christians") meant that some Catholics are not Christians. Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,345,287 times
Quote:
If it means nothing, then what is the purpose? Is it still not an engraven image? What you are saying is in total contradiction. Basically, you are saying -yes, we can have all the "TRINKETS, ARTS, STATUES" that we want. Even though the GOD that we say we worship forbids it. Yes, we can practice all the symbolisms that the god we say we worship forbids it. Yes, we know the inanimate objects that are images and symbolisms. But, it doesn't matter because we worship god. Yes, those INANIMATE OBJECTS, TRINKETS, ARTS, STATUES we surround ourselves with is before us, but we are worship god, not the objects... GMAB. Cover/wrap it however you want, its still the same unwrapped. The ONE TRUE GOD won't be fooled nor mocked.

Concealed deceit, no matter the place, name, works, shadow or beautiful packaging is still deceit and darkness.
Well, you do not speak for God, my friend, so I don't really care what you say. This has all been settled. People today just relish in re-strarting old debates and old beliefs. This may help: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or