U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM

76 posts, read 133,800 times

Advertisements

People make choices in life, and that has to be accepted. Some make good choices and others make bad choices. Most Muslims would never leave the Deen [ Islamic faith ] for any reason. They under-
stand that it is God who is the higher power and that they should strive for paradise in their life.

But this world also has a lot of strife, wars, greed , contradictions and social disorder in the homes and it permeates most societies on Earth. Some Muslims get confused and caught up and then give up their faith for whatever reasons and then blame Islam for it.

Islam is more than just memorize the Quran, it is about practising and living the faith. Many Muslims across the world dont know or understand Arabic , but how many leave the religion because of this this. If this is a solid reason to leave Islam then the world would have a small population of Arabic speaking Muslims. I was born in America and a former Christian and i have studied and taught arabic
and i understand the faith very well.

It was Christianity that was confusing and very few Americans understand the Bible [ in Hebrew]or the traditions in which Jesus lived. They are totally dependent on translations that have many errors that scholars are always trying to correct.

The main thing of Islam is to know how to pray, fast, give charity, make pilgrimage and belief in one God and you dont have to know Arabic , Hebrew, Farsi, Korean, or German to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
How would someone learn a language without translating it in the first place
All of us have learned our first language with having no prior language to translate to or from.

It may just be me but I have found the best way to learn a language is through total immersion in it with no translating back and forth. It is more like adding vocabulary rather than translating. Sort of like when Foreign words become part of the English vocabulary. If you see a sign with the word cappuccino Do you need to mentally translate from Italian to English or see it as a specific drink. You have added a word of Italian to your repertoire with out realizing you were speaking Italian and probably don't even think of repertoire as being French. One need not translate to learn a language if they understand it as adding vocabulary, not switching languages.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,111,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Muslim children memorize the Qur'an. They don't learn what it means...

The Muslim kids I know who learn Qur'an are just memorizing it in order to recite it. They don't learn Arabic, and they don't know what the meaning is of what they are reciting.

It is common for a child to have the whole Qur'an memorized.
I guess it is like us singing the song "Louie, Louie". We never knew what the words meant, but it sure was fun singing it. Just like the guys in the movie "Animal House".

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,893 times
Its good to know that you respect someone right to leave religion ( i wish people truly respect freedom of belief), but not seems honest since you disagree and remarked his reasons as striking, mistranslated, misunderstood, puzzling and angry.

Why are your comments suggestive of sneakiness about 'TRANSLATION'.
Explain what do you mean by
# A sentence on page 2 puzzles me in which states he was reading a TRANSLATION of the Qur'an
# I have never met one that would even allow a TRANSLATION in their house
# 'he sought TRANSLATION rather than reading from the Arabic.'

Why be so slippery, so as to restrict recitations to babbling, like an Arabian babbler.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
People make choices in life, and that has to be accepted. Some make good choices and others make bad choices. Most Muslims would never leave the Deen [ Islamic faith ] for any reason. They under-
stand that it is God who is the higher power and that they should strive for paradise in their life.

But this world also has a lot of strife, wars, greed , contradictions and social disorder in the homes and it permeates most societies on Earth. Some Muslims get confused and caught up and then give up their faith for whatever reasons and then blame Islam for it.

Islam is more than just memorize the Quran, it is about practising and living the faith. Many Muslims across the world dont know or understand Arabic , but how many leave the religion because of this this. If this is a solid reason to leave Islam then the world would have a small population of Arabic speaking Muslims. I was born in America and a former Christian and i have studied and taught arabic
and i understand the faith very well.

It was Christianity that was confusing and very few Americans understand the Bible [ in Hebrew]or the traditions in which Jesus lived. They are totally dependent on translations that have many errors that scholars are always trying to correct.

The main thing of Islam is to know how to pray, fast, give charity, make pilgrimage and belief in one God and you dont have to know Arabic , Hebrew, Farsi, Korean, or German to do this.
*Your Comments are Hardly American. No Americans will use word 'Farsi' (Its Asian terminology)

Your empathic statements are hardly suggestive of any knowledge of either bible or the quran and that makes it hard to trust that you are really a convert.

#‘world also has a lot of strife, wars, greed , contradictions and social disorder’
Read the blood filled history within the Islamic regime and then make such comments.

ALL YOU MEANBy Practicing Faith (Throughout) IS FOLLOWING. People do not leave religion even if they doubt it, but only when they are honest to themselves. If quran is read with any bias of divine revelation, it blunders about cosmology, inhumanity, lack of logic becomes clear.

Why muslims always run away when it comes to blemishes in the quran and say ordinary things like
you dont have to know Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, Korean, or German to do this.’

Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM

12,004 posts, read 16,753,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Religion Baloney View Post
*Your Comments are Hardly American. No Americans will use word 'Farsi' (Its Asian terminology)

Your empathic statements are hardly suggestive of any knowledge of either bible or the quran and that makes it hard to trust that you are really a convert.

#‘world also has a lot of strife, wars, greed , contradictions and social disorder’
Read the blood filled history within the Islamic regime and then make such comments.

ALL YOU MEANBy Practicing Faith (Throughout) IS FOLLOWING. People do not leave religion even if they doubt it, but only when they are honest to themselves. If quran is read with any bias of divine revelation, it blunders about cosmology, inhumanity, lack of logic becomes clear.

Why muslims always run away when it comes to blemishes in the quran and say ordinary things like

I'm an American that says "Farsi". As does the CIA. As does the State Department. Check your assumptions.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Religion Baloney View Post

Why do you think an American wouldn't use the word "Farsi"? That's not a correct statement. It's the name of a common language in Iran, and most intelligent people know this, especially if they know any people from Iran.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm an American that says "Farsi". As does the CIA. As does the State Department. Check your assumptions.
Oops, should have read ahead. But what a weird thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or