U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,498,425 times

Advertisements

Saif Rahman, born of Indo-Pakistani decent in the UK in the 70s, is a humanist activist and member of the Council of Ex-Muslims.

The reason I left Islam (by Islame)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
While I disagree with him leaving Islam. I respect his right to do so. His reasons strike me as mistranslations and misunderstandings.

A sentence on page 2 puzzles me in which states he was reading a translation of the Qur'an. He was born into a Muslim Pakistani Family. Every Pakistani family I know strives to have their children be Hafiz by the age of 10. I have never met one that would even allow a translation in their house. Probably of no significance, but puzzles me.

I kind of suspect that his family may be Wahabi or Salafi extreme fundamentalism in any religion often drives adherents away.Perhaps that is why he sought translation rather than reading from the Arabic.

His explanations seem to come from a very angry man who was seeking a reason to leave Islam. But for whatever reason he has made his own choice and as long as he made it with full knowledge to the best of his ability and of his own free will, I have no reason to interfere with his right.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM

19,707 posts, read 14,691,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Saif Rahman, born of Indo-Pakistani decent in the UK in the 70s, is a humanist activist and member of the Council of Ex-Muslims.

Another escapee from religion and the control Ancient mankind still exerts on modern man. As a fellow escapee from organized religion I congratulate him on freeing himself! For what ever reason, former Muslim friends of mine feel like there is a threat to their lives for leaving Islam that I didn't see or feel when I escaped from Catholicism or have heard about from others. Woodrow makes a good point on the fundamentalist aspect of religion that probably applies. It is probably most like the Peoples Temple or the Branch Davidians. On the other hand the Peoples Temple and the Davidians didn't control whole countries.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,425,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
While I disagree with him leaving Islam. I respect his right to do so. His reasons strike me as mistranslations and misunderstandings.

A sentence on page 2 puzzles me in which states he was reading a translation of the Qur'an. He was born into a Muslim Pakistani Family. Every Pakistani family I know strives to have their children be Hafiz by the age of 10. I have never met one that would even allow a translation in their house. Probably of no significance, but puzzles me.

I kind of suspect that his family may be Wahabi or Salafi extreme fundamentalism in any religion often drives adherents away.Perhaps that is why he sought translation rather than reading from the Arabic.

His explanations seem to come from a very angry man who was seeking a reason to leave Islam. But for whatever reason he has made his own choice and as long as he made it with full knowledge to the best of his ability and of his own free will, I have no reason to interfere with his right.

Woodrow, most Muslims I know who memorize the Qur'an don't understand what it means. They are just memorizing the Arabic. Most Muslims who don't speak Arabic don't learn Arabic.

There is nothing wrong with reading a translation, especially if you don't speak or understand Arabic.

The article struck me as a man who was thoughtful and had questions and made a decision about what he wanted to do.

Its to bad more people who grow up in religions don't question and make their own decisions.

What I see you not acknowledging is that he made a decision to leave, many make a decision to become Muslim. Those who become Muslim had to leave the religions they were raised with. You left the religion you were raised with.

It takes courage to leave a religion one is raised with.

Why does there have to be a reason he left? He just made a different decision, one that you would not make.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,319,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

Have you been on their forum lotsa Lulz.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,498,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Have you been on their forum lotsa Lulz.
I don't understand what you are asking me. I have not been on their forum.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Woodrow, most Muslims I know who memorize the Qur'an don't understand what it means. They are just memorizing the Arabic. Most Muslims who don't speak Arabic don't learn Arabic.
How would someone learn a language without translating it in the first place

Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
How would someone learn a language without translating it in the first place

Muslim children memorize the Qur'an. They don't learn what it means...

The Muslim kids I know who learn Qur'an are just memorizing it in order to recite it. They don't learn Arabic, and they don't know what the meaning is of what they are reciting.

It is common for a child to have the whole Qur'an memorized.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Muslim children memorize the Qur'an. They don't learn what it means...

The Muslim kids I know who learn Qur'an are just memorizing it in order to recite it. They don't learn Arabic, and they don't know what the meaning is of what they are reciting.

It is common for a child to have the whole Qur'an memorized.
They did the same thing to me whan I was a child but it was with the Bible. They did their best to Brain Wash and Indoctrinate me! It Didn't hold though.."Free At Last, Free at Last!"

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-21-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
They did the same thing to me whan I was a child but it was with the Bible. They did their best to Brain wash and indoctrinate me! It Didn't hold though.."Free At Last, Free at Last!"

I think in Arabic speaking countries they know what they are reciting but in non Arabic countries where they don't speak Arabic and most of the children are from poor families and go to madrasses they just memorize.

The Muslims kids I know just memorize but they don't know what it means.

I hate the brainwashing of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or