U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Islam compatible with Western values?
Yes 14 15.38%
No 58 63.74%
It Depends 19 20.88%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
When Muslims get rid of their sharia laws, stop being intolerant to other faiths/religion/culture, stop attacking, stop flying planes into buildings, stop shoveling their religions to others, stop wearing burqas/niqabs/hijabs - then they will be considered part of the west
Xan you name any other time besides 9/11 when 19 men hijacked 4 planes flew planes into 3 buildings any other Muslims have done the same?

Here in the USA there have been non-Muslims who have done the same,


Bank of America Plaza (Tampa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Times - Plane flown into US tax office

San Juan, TX Plane Crashes In Church, Oct 1970 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Should we say When americans stop flying planes into buildings they will be considered part of the west?

The only difference fetween then and the 9/11 hijackers is they used smaller planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
 
40,043 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Reputation: 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thank you for the compliment.

There is no Islam of Woodrow. there is only one Islam, but we are very individualistic. The majority of us are very moderate and very quiet.
We do have our share of trouble makers.
The percentage of us that are trouble makers is probably no higher a percentage than any other group of people. but sadly, our trouble makers have almost unlimited access to munitions. Much of which was left behind by Russian and Nato forces. Take a person with a predisposistion for violence and it is a recipe for disaster.
This is supremely irrelevant and fundamentally misleading, Wood. It is disingenuous to even suggest that your version of Islam has any correspondence with the Islam that is projected to the world. Sorry . . . but your moderate views are NOT typical and they certainly do NOT have any global clout. As long as the radicals dominate and threaten the world globally with resources and reach . . . your version of Islam is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Texas
632 posts, read 1,003,754 times
Reputation: 693
As a Muslim, I voted IT DEPENDS simply because Islam is interpreted differently by different people. Just like Catholics have different views on the Bible and GOD than Protestants (of which there are many denominations), Islam has different sects and denominations that have different views on various topics.

Is the Saudi version of Islam compatible with Western values? HELL NAW! Shi'a Nizari Muslim values? Most certainly yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
As a Muslim, I voted IT DEPENDS simply because Islam is interpreted differently by different people. Just like Catholics have different views on the Bible and GOD than Protestants (of which there are many denominations), Islam has different sects and denominations that have different views on various topics.

Is the Saudi version of Islam compatible with Western values? HELL NAW! Shi'a Nizari Muslim values? Most certainly yes!
I think that is an error many people make. Even as a Sunni that follows the Hanafi Madhab I have many differences from the Hanbali Madhab followed by Saudi.

People stereotype us and fail to see the individuality among us. But, we are all of the same Ummah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,424,051 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Xan you name any other time besides 9/11 when 19 men hijacked 4 planes flew planes into 3 buildings any other Muslims have done the same?

Here in the USA there have been non-Muslims who have done the same,


Bank of America Plaza (Tampa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Times - Plane flown into US tax office

San Juan, TX Plane Crashes In Church, Oct 1970 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Should we say When americans stop flying planes into buildings they will be considered part of the west?

The only difference fetween then and the 9/11 hijackers is they used smaller planes.


Woodrow the level of destruction was very different.


Bank of America Plaza (Tampa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On January 5, 2002, just four months after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, 15-year-old amateur pilot Charles Bishop stole a Cessna plane and flew into the Bank of America building in Downtown Tampa


Global Times - Plane flown into US tax office
A Texas pilot with an apparent grudge against the US government flew his single-engine plane into a tax office building Thursday, leaving two dead and 13 wounded and setting off a huge fireball, AFP reported.


San Juan, TX Plane Crashes In Church, Oct 1970 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

San Juan (AP) -- A former schoolteacher crashed a small plane into a Roman Catholic church Friday, destroying it and an adjoining cafeteria.




Woodrow all of the instances of the planes being crashed into the buildings were absolutely unacceptable but the death and devastation were not the same as what happened with the twin towers.

Over 3000+ people were killed and in each plane innocent people were kidnapped and made to die as the planes were crashed into the buildings.

The incidents you gave us killed about 3 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Woodrow the level of destruction was very different.


Bank of America Plaza (Tampa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On January 5, 2002, just four months after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, 15-year-old amateur pilot Charles Bishop stole a Cessna plane and flew into the Bank of America building in Downtown Tampa


Global Times - Plane flown into US tax office
A Texas pilot with an apparent grudge against the US government flew his single-engine plane into a tax office building Thursday, leaving two dead and 13 wounded and setting off a huge fireball, AFP reported.


San Juan, TX Plane Crashes In Church, Oct 1970 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

San Juan (AP) -- A former schoolteacher crashed a small plane into a Roman Catholic church Friday, destroying it and an adjoining cafeteria.




Woodrow all of the instances of the planes being crashed into the buildings were absolutely unacceptable but the death and devastation were not the same as what happened with the twin towers.

Over 3000+ people were killed and in each plane innocent people were kidnapped and made to die as the planes were crashed into the buildings.

The incidents you gave us killed about 3 people.
True but the point was the number of terrorists involved. While the damage was horrendous, it did not take many people to do it.


Because the damage was greater does not necessarily mean a larger percentage of Muslims are terrorists.

ADDED: While the view is Muslims fly planes into Buildings about the same number of Plane attacks in the USA were done by non-Muslims. I keep see it posted "when Muslims stop flying planes into buildings" like we do that on a regular basis. It was a one day act by terrorists and not a practice of Islam.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 07-12-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,424,051 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
True but the point was the number of terrorists involved. While the damage was horrendous, it did not take many people to do it.


Because the damage was greater does not necessarily mean a larger percentage of Muslims are terrorists.

ADDED: While the view is Muslims fly planes into Buildings about the same number of Plane attacks in the USA were done by non-Muslims. I keep see it posted "when Muslims stop flying planes into buildings" like we do that on a regular basis. It was a one day act by terrorists and not a practice of Islam.

Again Woodrow my issue is instead of saying it was horrific and leaving it at that there is the need to say: well non Muslims did the same thing. My point is not to say that a larger percentage of Muslims are terrorists because the 9/11 damage was greater. My issues is the magnitude of the devastation and death.

Surely you are correct they did but there is no comparison between the death of 3 vs 3000+


That is my issue. I agree they were all wrong and I don't think that the actions of those who committed 9/11 ought to be visited on all Muslims. But I do have issue that it needs to become a deflection.

None of it is justified, it is all horrific. I also agree with what you are saying that non muslims have committed acts of terrorism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
 
584 posts, read 504,065 times
Reputation: 152
How many planes?
How many terrorists?
How many victims?
This is, in my opinion, an entirely unhelpful and, in fact, dangerous calculus - dangerous because we simply cannot afford unclarity on the matter.

What is important for all of us to understand is that terrorism is not a function of Islam - it's a function of extremism and xenophobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Again Woodrow my issue is instead of saying it was horrific and leaving it at that there is the need to say: well non Muslims did the same thing. My point is not to say that a larger percentage of Muslims are terrorists because the 9/11 damage was greater. My issues is the magnitude of the devastation and death.

Surely you are correct they did but there is no comparison between the death of 3 vs 3000+


That is my issue. I agree they were all wrong and I don't think that the actions of those who committed 9/11 ought to be visited on all Muslims. But I do have issue that it needs to become a deflection.

None of it is justified, it is all horrific. I also agree with what you are saying that non muslims have committed acts of terrorism.
I do agree the amount of damage is not comparable.

The main issue I have is the flying of airplanes into buildings is not an every day event. The statement the poster made was to the effect "When Muslims stop flying planes into buildings" it is not a common practice by Muslims and nearly as many planes have been flown into American buildings by non-Muslims, 2 of them after 9/11. The poster's statement was no more pertinent then it would be to say "When non-Muslims stop flying planes into buildings"



Muslims Flying planes into buildings is not a frequent occurrence and has not been repeated since 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,053 times
Reputation: 10
Default islam is a horrible ideology for human rights

let's start with sharia law, the is no seperation of church/mosque & state under sharia law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top