U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:24 AM

183 posts, read 1,175,590 times

Advertisements

I dont know much about the Islam/muslim religion only what I hear on the news so I am a little confused. The Pope gave a speech in Germany which I'm sure some of you have read or seen in the news and in the speech he read from a text that quoted words of a Byzatine emperor and in that text it said that some of the teachings of Islam were evil and inhuman. I dont know much like I said about the Islam religion and Im sure the Pope is very sorry if muslims took it the wrong way and he has apoligized for his words but isn't bin laden and his followers of the Islam religion? Aren't they the ones who want to convert everyone to the Islam religion and by trying to do so are causing more evil than anyone can imagine. As I said before I really dont know much about their religion and Im also sure that the Islam religion is not telling them to do what they are doing. I just cant understand why they are trying to convert people in such an evil way! The catholics aren't strapping bombs to their children/family member and blowing up others to make a point.
The Islam leaders are probably very ashamed at what bin laden and his people are doing in the name of religion. Now I dont want a religion bashing or nasty comments about religion on this thread I just would like someone to enlighten me so i can fully understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,905,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
I dont know much about the Islam/muslim religion only what I hear on the news so I am a little confused. The Pope gave a speech in Germany which I'm sure some of you have read or seen in the news and in the speech he read from a text that quoted words of a Byzatine emperor and in that text it said that some of the teachings of Islam were evil and inhuman. I dont know much like I said about the Islam religion and Im sure the Pope is very sorry if muslims took it the wrong way and he has apoligized for his words but isn't bin laden and his followers of the Islam religion? Aren't they the ones who want to convert everyone to the Islam religion and by trying to do so are causing more evil than anyone can imagine. As I said before I really dont know much about their religion and Im also sure that the Islam religion is not telling them to do what they are doing. I just cant understand why they are trying to convert people in such an evil way! The catholics aren't strapping bombs to their children/family member and blowing up others to make a point.
The Islam leaders are probably very ashamed at what bin laden and his people are doing in the name of religion. Now I dont want a religion bashing or nasty comments about religion on this thread I just would like someone to enlighten me so i can fully understand.

I think the Pope was right on and now I think he's wrong for apologizing.

Just my personal opinion I'm not trying to start trouble, just giving my own opinion

Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,878,342 times
Quote from Mom4: Isn't bin laden and his followers of the Islam religion? Aren't they the ones who want to convert everyone to the Islam religion and by trying to do so are causing more evil than anyone can imagine. As I said before I really dont know much about their religion and Im also sure that the Islam religion is not telling them to do what they are doing. I just cant understand why they are trying to convert people in such an evil way! The catholics aren't strapping bombs to their children/family member and blowing up others to make a point.
The Islam leaders are probably very ashamed at what bin laden and his people are doing in the name of religion. Now I dont want a religion bashing or nasty comments about religion on this thread I just would like someone to enlighten me so i can fully understand. (endQuote)

Yes and no. I'm not too up on the Islamic religion either. Actually, I know extremely little. However, I do know that their name for God is Allah. I do know that some of them believe that martydom allows you to "meet" (for lack of a better word) Allah. And lastly, although Osama bin Laden is Islamic, he is an extremist. He has taken the Koran and pulled what he wants from it and basically changes the meaning of it. His group and other groups like him are the complete opposite end of it. They believe that killing people who are not of Islamic religion (and therefore causing a suicide mission) is martydom and that that is what Allah wants and that is the path to Allah. They're mission is to destroy anyone not of the extreme Islamic religion. I think I'm correct, but if not, I hope someone feels free to jump in and re-explain it to me too! Again, do not get this confused with your average everyday people of Islam, they are not like that. Lastly, bin Laden is not trying to convert anyone. He does not care if you are converted, again, like I said up top, he is simply trying to wipe out anyone not of the extreme Islamic interpretation. That is why when he did what he did on 9/11, he didn't pick and choose who was on those planes or in those buildings...there were plenty of Muslims/people of Islamic religion on those same planes and in those buildings. They weren't extremists and they lost their precious lives just like americans, catholics, baptists, irish, blacks, whites, canadians, satanists, WHOEVER did that day.

Ps. Keep in mind that Osama bin Laden is a group terrorist leader. He has been banished from his own country and he is only followed and worshipped by those who believe what he believes (or are brainwashed by what those kind of people teach). He is not the president of a country or anything close to that. The people of the countries he has come from and has lived in are not all in support of him...only the terroristic groups.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 09-16-2006 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks pixieshmoo for the explanation!!!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,080,327 times
I think the reaction in the Islamic world speaks volumes over the lack of education in most of it. Most of these people who are in the streets are acting on what they're told as they often can't read the news themselves. Without widespread literacy and access to an impartial or variable media, it's impossible to differentiate between an intellectual statement that used an example of a 14th Century emperor's statement on Muhammed/Islam from the point the pope was actually making, which was that violence and cohersion in the name of religion is evil and not God's will. The masses in these lands I believe just don't have the education to make that distinction and are dependent upon a poisoned state-controlled media and radical imams for their interpretation. The Bin Laden/Islamic jihadist crowd don't represent the actual views of most muslims I'm sure. I'm unhappy that most don't speak out against such extremists, as they do themselves such damage in the West by not speaking up, particularly those in the West with education and access to varying medias banned in the Islamic dictatorships. However, America is rather unique in it's own Muslim population. America has tended to attract the better educated and more entrepreneurial Muslims who can see radicalism for what it is and some of the most vociferous Muslim voices speaking against Islamic fascism/terrorism are American Muslim voices. The Muslim populations of France and the United Kingdom tend to be much poorer educated and living in poverty than American muslims. The Europeans despise Muslims and have pretty much kept them sidelined and unemployed, so they're second class citizens in much of Europe. The pope didn't make an anti-Islamic statement, but I think he's different from John Paul in that he isn't saying that Catholicism and Islam are equal, as if he did, what's the point in being Catholic if that isn't the church that leads to salvation? I'm Baptist myself and believe only through Jesus can we get to Heaven, but I'm never going to advocate violence to "convert" Muslims or anyone else. I think though that the Islamic governments are happy to use the lack of education among their masses to help keep the focus of rage on the West and away from their exploitation of their own people.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 PM

There are different races, religions, and beliefs all over the world. Maybe someday we can look at one another and not care what religion you are or where you came from, a world where everyone just gets along because being different doesn't matter. Unfortunately it will never happen.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:00 PM

571 posts, read 2,296,068 times
I think the whole thing is kind of ironic, really.

Not too terribly long ago, plenty of people were killed in the name of Christianity. The inquisition, the crusades and the plundering of the native peoples of the New World are a few major examples. And like a lot of present-day Muslims, most "average" Europeans in those days were subject to poverty, illiteracy and the whims of the all-powerful and largely corrupt religious leaders.

Of course Christianity, like present-day Islam, had been twisted and "re-interpreted" to serve the needs of a few greedy, power hungry and/or just plain crazy individuals and the true spirit of both those faiths (which first attracted followers to begin with) was lost somewhere.

Christianity has come a long way in the last 500 years though, and no, most people don't associate it with things like suicide bombers, terrorist training camps and iron-fisted, totalitarian governments.

Perhaps this current "stage" of Islam is just an inevitable part of the evolution certain major religoins have to go through? Islam wasn't, after all, even established until about 600 years after Christianity. So perhaps they'll be the ones aplogizing in another 500 years! Who knows, maybe their women will even be allowed to wear shorts and drive cars. Crazier things have happened.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:41 AM

919 posts, read 1,705,291 times
It would be nice to see American Muslims speak up. the silence is deafening.
I dont think we need to wait 500 years, thats more than just afew years ago.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,396,878 times
I agree that we need to hear from American Muslims. They seem to do nothing to repudiate the behavior of the violent radicals of their religion and yet they criticize the rest of Americans and claim we are painting all Muslims with the same brush. Granted that the majority of Muslims are peace-loving, law-abiding citizens but standing by while members of their religion commit acts of atrocity in the name of Islam and remaining silent can only be interpreted as supporting that behavior. I find it incomprehensible that any god whether it be my Christian God or Allah or Buddah or any other could want his followers to slaughter innocents in his name. We do no honor to our deities by killing for vengance or for not subscribing to a particular belief. It is time for America's Muslims to stand up en masse to say that the violence being perpetrated by the radical faction of Islam does not represent their beliefs in any way. We're waiting...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 PM

That is a good question, why arent the American Muslims speaking up? Is it because they are trying to seperate themselves from the Muslims in the middle east?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or