U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM

16,146 posts, read 9,764,083 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to put this so here goes.

Last month, South Dakota passed a law that seeks to prevent the enforcement of "any religious code." The very brief bill stated simply: "No court, administrative agency, or other governmental agency may enforce any provisions of any religious code."
It seems quite innocuous, but clearly, it was intended to target the threat of sharia law. In many other states, similar laws do not mention sharia explicitly, but rather "foreign law" or "foreign codes." As many have pointed out, this is a solution looking for a problem, as nowhere in America are Muslims seeking to supplant the Constitution with sharia law. If you think about this and delve into South Dakota's law and similar laws in other states, one thing starts to become clear: Leaving aside the fact that these laws are discriminatory by their very nature, any law that bans "foreign codes" should cause Catholics to take heed.
That is because the Holy See, which is the source of Catholic canon law, resides in the Vatican, a city-state that is a sovereign, independent country. Thus, technically, Catholic Canon Law is a "foreign code" or "foreign law," and those state laws that prevent courts from enforcing or taking "foreign laws" into account should also then apply to Catholic Canon Law.

Anti-Shariah Bills Cross Faith Lines

Last edited by reed067; 05-05-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM

10,530 posts, read 10,504,679 times
You know I can live with that, as long as that particular law is applied equally to all religious groups, including Christianity.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know I can live with that, as long as that particular law is applied equally to all religious groups, including Christianity.

I agree it's like teaching religion in school if your going to teach one you might as well teach them all. As it reads Christians is not for this at all & for good reason it threatens their dominance.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 PM

41,452 posts, read 27,763,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Such laws are long overdue. There can be NO justification for imposing ANY religious law on society, period. All laws must have secular purposes.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,739,389 times
One thing I do favor is to allow Religious law be used for Civil matters, with the following restrictions.

1. The law does not violate any criminal laws.

2. All parties involved agree to the use of such.

3. The state, county, federal, local courts are not involved for such things as court rooms, filings etc.

4. All filing of documents and other things such as transcriptions, use of court rooms are to be conducted in a facility owned or leased by the religious agency of the law used.

My reasoning is this will free up the court system, as people will and do use the religious laws anyhow and just stick it to an attachment on state approved documents. this will remove some probably many cases from the court system

It is already allowed in many states for Jewish religious law. This will remove the possibility of any possible descrimination suits against the state.

It will prevent the need for people to attempt to modify state laws or introduce new laws that may end up affecting all people instead of just those of a particular religious belief.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM

31,372 posts, read 32,731,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Such laws are long overdue. There can be NO justification for imposing ANY religious law on society, period. All laws must have secular purposes.
Unless you are a religious society. I have absolutely no problem with religious faiths practicing legal tenets which do not conflict with civil or criminal statutes. That is their right under the Constitution.

And good luck trying to get the Hasidim or Orthodox Jews from continuing to observe Halakha.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One thing I do favor is to allow Religious law be used for Civil matters, with the following restrictions.

1. The law does not violate any criminal laws.

2. All parties involved agree to the use of such.

3. The state, county, federal, local courts are not involved for such things as court rooms, filings etc.

4. All filing of documents and other things such as transcriptions, use of court rooms are to be conducted in a facility owned or leased by the religious agency of the law used.

My reasoning is this will free up the court system, as people will and do use the religious laws anyhow and just stick it to an attachment on state approved documents. this will remove some probably many cases from the court system

It is already allowed in many states for Jewish religious law. This will remove the possibility of any possible descrimination suits against the state.

It will prevent the need for people to attempt to modify state laws or introduce new laws that may end up affecting all people instead of just those of a particular religious belief.
Unworkable and unconstitutional. There are inherent rights in America that are inalienable and every citizen of whatever religion (or non-religion) may exercise them. The state also adds additional protections enforceable by law that cannot be abrogated by voluntary compliance with religious laws. Domestic violence, child abuse, child molestation, spousal abuse, incest, child support, alimony and prenups to mention a few . . . are enforceable by secular law no matter what voluntary agreements are entered into for religious reasons. Human adjudication and enforcement of religious laws has no place in our society. Let God handle God's laws and the enforcement thereof, period.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-05-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Let God handle God's laws and the enforcement thereof, period.

Well seeing that God hasn't spoken a word to anyone in over 2,000 I'm not about to let those who follow him push thier faith on me.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Unworkable and unconstitutional. There are inherent rights in America that are inalienable and every citizen of whatever religion (or non-religion) may excerise. The state also adds additional protections enforceable by law that cannot be abrogated by voluntary compliance with religious laws. Domestic violence, child abuse, child molestation, spousal abuse, incest, child support, alimony and prenups to mention a few . . . are enforceable by secular law no matter what voluntary agreements are entered into for religious reasons. Human adjudication and enforcement of religious laws has no place in our society. Let God handle God's laws and the enforcement thereof, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well seeing that God hasn't spoken a word to anyone in over 2,000 I'm not about to let those who follow him push thier faith on me.
Apparently you missed the essential sentence highlighted in bold above.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM

31,372 posts, read 32,731,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Since adherence to religious laws are totally voluntary, I think your fears are misplaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or