Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

So one of my more favorite past times is watching documentaries. I happened watch a video about WWI and this led me to the battles at Gallipoli. From this documentary one name stuck out specifically..that would be Mustafa Kemal. I did some further research on Kemal and found about the young Turks (led by Enver Pasha) , the end of the end of the ottoman empire (overthrow of the sultan and caliphate), the creation of Turkey and the reforms (westernization/secularization) of this new state.

I think what I'm looking for in this thread are the views of Mustafa Kemal: Atatürk, The young Turks, and the reforms in Turkey from the Muslim community. How does the Muslim community view/feel about these people and the changes they made to part of the Muslim world?

Thank You.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Young Turks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Like all Muslims I can only speak for myself and accept that I may be in error (Astagfirulla--May Allah forgive me)

It must be kept in mind Islam is a religion that demands self responsibility and each of us must verify the truth of all things. We alone are responsible for the results of our choices.

The only things each and every Muslim has in common is we follow the same 5 pillars of Faith. As long as a person is following the 5 pillars to the best of their Ability we can not say they are not following Islam, although we can as for proof from them that their actions are Islamic.

No single person or even Nation has the ability to change Islam as the wide majority of us do not follow and cental living leader or council.

Turkey acts and speaks for itself only. Some of us disagree with Turkey and some of us agree. As for any changes to Islam, I see none.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 15,237 times
Ataturk is the only leader that truely revolutinized a society in every level, introduced the modern Turkish alphabet, democracy, women rights to vote (which came even before US), modern clothing, recreated the whole war stricken nation from scratch. Gallipoli war was first amazing achievement of him.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM

762 posts, read 1,216,726 times
Ed Koch: Turkey Is Seeking Leadership of the Islamic World

I thought you may find this article interesting.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Ed Koch: Turkey Is Seeking Leadership of the Islamic World

I thought you may find this article interesting.
Interesting.

But it needs to be kept in mind that today Turkey is one of the smallest Muslim nations. Almost insignificant in terms of the number of Muslims.

From a personal opinion view, I do not see it as having much, if any, influence over most of the World's Muslims. With the majority of Muslims being Asian I think we will be seeing Indonesia and Malaysia becoming the most influential Islamic Nations.

Over 1/2 of the World's Muslims live in 4 countries. Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Indonesia. A sizable number are found in Malaysia, China, Philippines, and Singapore.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 AM

You may see Turkey as small fry when it comes to the number of practicing muslims. However it does have some significance in as much it is an Islamic country which due to its location kinda straddles east and west. A foot in both camps so to speak.

Turkey has been an associate member of the EU since the 1980s and its still seeking full membership. Not sure if this will ever become a reality as their human rights record has held them back in the past. I believe this is much improved.

I've always liked Turkey, I find the people friendly and very hospitable. The current government under Erdogan have made some changes away from secularism and towards Islam which have not been popular with all Turks. The imam hatip schools, reintroducing the hijab for women etc.

Last edited by Nefol; 02-13-2013 at 03:51 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
You may see Turkey as small fry when it comes to the number of practicing muslims. However it does have some significance in as much it is an Islamic country which due to its location kinda straddles east and west. A foot in both camps so to speak.

Turkey has been an associate member of the EU since the 1980s and its still seeking full membership. Not sure if this will ever become a reality as their human rights record has held them back in the past. I believe this is much improved.

I've always liked Turkey, I find the people friendly and very hospitable. The current government under Erdogan have made some changes away from secularism and towards Islam which have not been popular with all Turks. The imam hatip schools, reintroducing the hijab for women etc.
I only know one person from Turkey and strangely he is not Muslim. He is of Belgian heritage but was born and lived in Turkey most of his life and has Turkish citizenship. He now lives in south Dakota. I'll admit he probably does not represent many Turks but he is the only Turk I currently know on a personal level.

I have seldom seen Turkey come up as a Topic of discussion among any Muslims either in person or on Islamic Websites. Turkey does not seem to be of much interest to any Muslims I know in Person or on line.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

I'm sure many Islamic countries would not see Turkey as being the Islamic ideal, if there is such a thing. Ataturk separated religion from the state and it has been a secular society for a very long time. Although 90% of Turks are muslim, I don't know how many of that number would be considered "practicing" muslims by muslim standards. I have not been there for about 5 years so it may have changed a bit. In the cities you rarely saw women covered or wearing the hijab older women would wear a headscarf, but not as you see in Morocco or Tunisia for example.

Mind you in the country areas things are not so progressive. Women there do not always get a good deal, and there is quite a high rate of domestic abuse against women, so I have been told by a friend of a friend who's son married a Turkish girl. That was another major difference they met, fell in love and married and he was never asked to convert to Islam, can't imagine this being the case in other countries..morocco for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam