U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,652,997 times

Advertisements

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) passed by Saad when he was doing wudoo ’ ,
(wudu is the Islamic procedure for washing parts of the body using water,
typically in preparation for formal prayers)

and he said,
What is this extravagance, O Saad?”
He said:
Can there be any extravagance in wudoo’?
The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said
“Yes, even if you are on the bank of a flowing river

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 PM

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
The Black Stone came down from Paradise.

When the Black Stone came down from Paradise, it was whiter than milk, but the sins of the sons of Adam made it black.

By Allaah, Allaah will bring it forth on the Day of Resurrection, (the Black Stone )
and it will have two eyes with which it will see and
a tongue with which it will speak,
and it will testify in favour of those who touched it in sincerity

. .

Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Smiling in your brother's face is an act of charity.

German Environment Ministry Quotes Prophet Muhammad – Smile is Charity

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Narrated 'Uqba bin Al-Harith:
I married a woman and then a black lady came to us and said,
"I have suckled you both (you and your wife)."
So I came to the Prophet and said,
"I married so-and-so and then a black lady came to us and said to me, 'I have suckled both of you.' But I think she is a liar."

The Prophet turned his face away from me and I moved to face his face, and said, "She is a liar."

The Prophet said,
"How (can you keep her as your wife) when that lady has said that she has suckled both of you? So abandon (i.e., divorce) her (your wife)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

762 posts, read 988,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
Narrated 'Uqba bin Al-Harith:
I married a woman and then a black lady came to us and said,
"I have suckled you both (you and your wife)."
So I came to the Prophet and said,
"I married so-and-so and then a black lady came to us and said to me, 'I have suckled both of you.' But I think she is a liar."

The Prophet turned his face away from me and I moved to face his face, and said, "She is a liar."

The Prophet said,
"How (can you keep her as your wife) when that lady has said that she has suckled both of you? So abandon (i.e., divorce) her (your wife)
I don't understand the reference here... why divorce the wife? Because they shared a wet nurse?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I don't understand the reference here... why divorce the wife? Because they shared a wet nurse?
Those who share the same wet nurse are considered equal to being blood siblings. In other words they are seen to be blood Brother and Sister. Not eligible for a valid marriage.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Those who share the same wet nurse are considered equal to being blood siblings. In other words they are seen to be blood Brother and Sister. Not eligible for a valid marriage.
Surely this belief is not upheld today I mean people do know and understand that this has no basis in truth. Sharing a wet nurse does not have anything to do with blood siblings. So no reason why two such people should not be able to marry.

What of milk banks? And new borns being fed milk from donors? Does that somehow link those babies genetically to the donors?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Surely this belief is not upheld today I mean people do know and understand that this has no basis in truth. Sharing a wet nurse does not have anything to do with blood siblings. So no reason why two such people should not be able to marry.

What of milk banks? And new borns being fed milk from donors? Does that somehow link those babies genetically to the donors?
It is not something likely to happen today. And today a wet nurse is considerably different from what was in the past. As far as milk donors and milk banks. there is no actual suckling by the baby on the woman's breast. The milk is not the bond it is the physical bond to the same surrogate mother.

A wet nurse in the past was a surrogate mother and very much like an adoptive mother would be today. Under the laws of the time, they were the legal children of the wet nurse. The children nursed by the same mother are brother and sister by adoption not by consanguinity. In much of the Western world including most USA states it would be considered incest if 2 such children married.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is not something likely to happen today. And today a wet nurse is considerably different from what was in the past. As far as milk donors and milk banks. there is no actual suckling by the baby on the woman's breast. The milk is not the bond it is the physical bond to the same surrogate mother.

A wet nurse in the past was a surrogate mother and very much like an adoptive mother would be today. Under the laws of the time, they were the legal children of the wet nurse. The children nursed by the same mother are brother and sister by adoption not by consanguinity. In much of the Western world including most USA states it would be considered incest if 2 such children married.
Surely I do not wish to hijack Truth Tellers thread here, apologies in advance, Woodrow I am greatly puzzled by this. Please could you show the past laws regarding such an idea of the link with a wet nurse and possible future incestuous marraige especially in the "Western world" ..I confess I have never heard of such a thing.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Surely I do not wish to hijack Truth Tellers thread here, apologies in advance, Woodrow I am greatly puzzled by this. Please could you show the past laws regarding such an idea of the link with a wet nurse and possible future incestuous marraige especially in the "Western world" ..I confess I have never heard of such a thing.
I will try to answer as brief as possible and just use the generic definition of incest that is used in most states.

Excerpts from the law. Notice that for incest their need not be a blood relationship. there is the relationship by infinity, In other words relationship by law ie by adoption, marriage ect.

Quote:
The crime of sexual relations or marriage taking place between a male and female who are so closely linked by blood or affinity that such activity is prohibited by law.
Quote:
In a number of jurisdictions, incest statutes extend to relationships among individuals related by affinity
SOURCE incest legal definition of incest. incest synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Now until I can find the specific Sharia law, I hope you will accept my word. Or I can post it as an image of the law in Arabic. I can not find it in English online, but will keep looking..

There is no adoption in Islam in the sense of western adoption. However, if a woman allows a child to nurse on her a minimum of 3 different times. she becomes the Mother of the Child and all her children are siblings. You have the legal relationship by afinity. same as it would be by adoption under USA law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or