U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,650,379 times

Advertisements

Thank you Woodrow and i would like to add..

when we ask Allah to help us , to cure us , to support us , to guide us .. etc this is also called prayer
and it is recommended before we ask Allah our need we start by thanking ALLAh and send blessing to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)
and then we say our need and at the end also we thank ALLAh and send blessing to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) .

and the Prophet told us that the more we send blessing to him the more is better for us .

for example if some one is praying to Allah for ten minutes and half of that time he just send blessing to the prophet
and the other half he asked for his need that is very good but if he spend all the ten minutes just sending blessing to the prophet
then his concerns will be taken care of and his sins will be forgiven.

and this privilege is from Allah because Allah is the one who answer prayers and know what we need even if we do not say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM

762 posts, read 986,565 times
Thank you Woodrow and Truth teller for your explanations.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,650,379 times
The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam,
for I am no more than His slave, so say, the slave of Allaah and His Messenger.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM

We do not need to exaggerate we have first and foremost what God tells us of Jesus, we have what the prophets told us of Jesus, then we have what Jesus himself told us.

However it has to be said that muslims do exaggerate Mohammed. Prophet Mohammed never said he could do miracles, yet muslims have attributed miracles in the hundreds to him!!! I wonder did Mohammed himself demand the kudos given to him by his followers or did they themselves raise him above what he was ordained to be.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
We do not need to exaggerate we have first and foremost what God tells us of Jesus, we have what the prophets told us of Jesus, then we have what Jesus himself told us.

However it has to be said that muslims do exaggerate Mohammed. Prophet Mohammed never said he could do miracles, yet muslims have attributed miracles in the hundreds to him!!! I wonder did Mohammed himself demand the kudos given to him by his followers or did they themselves raise him above what he was ordained to be.
Muhammas(PBUH) never claimed he had performed any Miracles. The accounts of miracles come from the eye-withness reports of his companions. These are recorded in the Ahadith. the ahadith are sort of similar to gospels in that they are written accounts of what witnesses saw Muhammad (saws) do or heard him say. the number of compiled ahadith is huge, probably in the millions.

The Ahadith are classified into several categories Verified, Unverified and Doubtful. The Verified are of the most concern to the average Muslim as these have a clear chain of narration and it is documented that the original narrator is the person who actually wrote it and the person was a known companion of Muhammad (saws)

The compilation by Bhukari is proven to be fully authenticate. The stated author did know Muhammad(saws), was one of his companions and did write his observation at the time he saw or heard it. However some are of low reliability. Meaning we are certain this is what the Narrator believes what he saw or heard, but there is no collaborating independent verification. Most of the ahadith compiled by Bukhari are of very high reliability as multiple witnesses have reported the very same thing.

For illustration only I will quote a few Ahadith that many believe to be miracles. It is well established that the named narrator in each case did write these and did claim to have been a witness to what he reported. It is up to the reader to decide if these are miracles.

“Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah: The Prophet used to stand by a stem of a date-palm tree (while delivering a sermon). When the pulpit was placed for him we heard that stem crying like a pregnant she-camel till the Prophet got down from the pulpit and placed his hand over it. (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 13, Number 41)

The next one is simply stating that he heard Jabir bin Abdullah say this. This is part of the verification that Jabir was the author.

“Narrated Anas bin Malik: That he heard Jabir bin ‘Abdullah saying, “The roof of the Mosque was built over trunks of date-palms working as pillars. When the Prophet delivered a sermon, he used to stand by one of those trunks till the pulpit was made for him, and he used it instead. Then we heard the trunk sending a sound like of a pregnant she-camel till the Prophet came to it, and put his hand over it, then it became quiet.” (Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 785)

“Narrated Anas: A man came to the Prophet (p.b.u.h) and said, “Livestock are destroyed and the roads are cut off.” So Allah’s Apostle invoked Allah for rain and it rained from that Friday till the next Friday. The same person came again and said, “Houses have collapsed, roads are cut off, and the livestock are destroyed. Please pray to Allah to withhold the rain.” Allah’s Apostle (stood up and) said, “O Allah! (Let it rain) on the plateaus, on the hills, in the valleys and over the places where trees grow.” So the clouds cleared away from Medina as clothes are taken off . (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 17, Number 129)

“Narrated Al-Bara: We were one-thousand-and-four-hundred persons on the day of Al-Hudaibiya (Treaty), and (at) Al-Hudaibiya (there) was a well. We drew out its water not leaving even a single drop. The Prophet sat at the edge of the well and asked for some water with which he rinsed his mouth and then he threw it out into the well. We stayed for a short while and then drew water from the well and quenched our thirst, and even our riding animals drank water to their satisfaction. (Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 777)

“Narrated Anas bin Malik: I saw Allah’s Apostle at the ‘time when the Asr prayer was due. Then the people were searching for water for ablution but they could not find any. Then some water was brought to Allah’s Apostle and he placed his hand in the pot and ordered the people to perform the ablution with the water. I saw water flowing from underneath his fingers and the people started performing the ablution till all of them did it. (Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 773)

“Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib: That they were in the company of Allah’s Apostle on the day of Al-Hudaibiya and their number was 1400 or more. They camped at a well and drew its water till it was dried. When they informed Allah’s Apostle of that, he came and sat over its edge and said, “Bring me a bucket of its water.” When it was brought, he spat and invoked (Allah) and said, “Leave it for a while.” Then they quenched their thirst and watered their riding animals (from that well) till they departed. (Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 472)

“Narrated Jabir: My father had died in debt. So I came to the Prophet and said, “My father (died) leaving unpaid debts, and I have nothing except the yield of his date palms; and their yield for many years will not cover his debts. So please come with me, so that the creditors may not misbehave with me.” The Prophet went round one of the heaps of dates and invoked (Allah), and then did the same with another heap and sat on it and said, “Measure (for them).” He paid them their rights and what remained was as much as had been paid to them. (Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 780)

“Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib: …………………………………………………. So I (along with my companions proceeded and) went to the Prophet and described the whole story to him. “He said, ‘Stretch out your (broken) leg. I stretched it out and he rubbed it and it became all right as if I had never had any ailment whatsoever.” (Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 371)

“Narrated ‘Aisha: The Prophet used to treat some of his wives by passing his right hand over the place of ailment and used to say, “O Allah, the Lord of the people! Remove the trouble and heal the patient, for You are the Healer. No healing is of any avail but Yours; healing that will leave behind no ailment.” (Bukhari Volume 7, Book 71, Number 639)

Quote:

OFF TOPIC SIDEBAR

This reminds me that perhaps there should be a thread explaining a little about the science of ahadith in terms most of us can understand. Although I am studfying the ahadith, I am not a scholar of such and very much a baby in understanding how ahadith are determined to be authenticate and reliable. I am asking if some of the other Muslims would be willing to help if such a thread is started.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM

It does seem quite clear from the Quran that Mohammed himself denied on numerous occasions the ability to do miracles.

Were the Hadiths written after his death or during his lifetime?

If before his death, then surely those authors were guilty of exaggeration and deception, surely Mohammed would have set them straight on what he actually believed was in his own remit.

If they were written after his death, then it could be seen as poetic license, embellishing Mohammed's acheivements to give him a greater standing as a Prophet. I can only think they would do this if they somehow thought his work of the Quran was somehow deficient.

I would be inclined to go with Mohammed himself on this one and accept that he did no miracles. Rather than attribute "wailing" palms trees, which serve no purpose and do not teach anything.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
It does seem quite clear from the Quran that Mohammed himself denied on numerous occasions the ability to do miracles.

Were the Hadiths written after his death or during his lifetime?

If before his death, then surely those authors were guilty of exaggeration and deception, surely Mohammed would have set them straight on what he actually believed was in his own remit.

If they were written after his death, then it could be seen as poetic license, embellishing Mohammed's acheivements to give him a greater standing as a Prophet. I can only think they would do this if they somehow thought his work of the Quran was somehow deficient.

I would be inclined to go with Mohammed himself on this one and accept that he did no miracles. Rather than attribute "wailing" palms trees, which serve no purpose and do not teach anything.
The Authenticated ones were written during his life time. His wife Aisha was one of the first ones who began writing ahadith. She wrote nearly daily accounts of things she saw Muhammad(saws) do or heard him say for the last 20 years of his life. At first Muhammad(saws) discourged her from doing so. but later she convinced him that one day they could be used as teachings of how he followed Islam. she also collected the writings from other companions during this time. In a way she was the first ahadith collector.

Bukhari was the first to compile Ahadith and put them in book form. He spent much of his life travelling throughout Arabia trying to find decendents of the original companions. He managed to collect over 600,000. Of those he was able to prove 7,000 were written by companions of Muhammad(saws) while he was alive and became the compilation we now use as the Bukhari collection.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 AM

Thank you Woodrow, I do wonder why if Mohammed had miracles attributed to him during his lifetime why did he insist when challenged that he could do no miracles?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you Woodrow, I do wonder why if Mohammed had miracles attributed to him during his lifetime why did he insist when challenged that he could do no miracles?
Possibly because any Miracles attributed to him or any Prophet are the Work of Allaah(swt) and not the Prophet.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Possibly because any Miracles attributed to him or any Prophet are the Work of Allaah(swt) and not the Prophet.
Well it goes without saying that any miracles that prophets did were by the grace of God..however that understanding does not alter the fact that Mohammed had miracles attributed to HIM, but always maintained that he had not been granted that gift from Allah and he did no miracles.

I suppose we can only surmise the reasons Mohammeds followers chose to attribute miracles to Mohammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or