Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM

762 posts, read 1,216,726 times

Advertisements

Actually it happens far more frequently than you may think, when I lived in Morocco it was not uncommon for a couple to marry for sex and then divorce after a week or whatever time suited both parties. This to my mind made a mockery of the holy sacrament of marriage.

God never condoned polygamy but like divorce he allowed it to occur and did not bring an immediate punishment for this disobedience.

Deut. 17:14-17: “I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,' “you shall surely set a king over you whom the LORD your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the LORD has said to you, 'You shall not return that way again.' “Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.”

This is the command of God, and he has never changed it. Polygamy may well have been prevalent in Biblical times, just because it occurred didn't make it right. The majority of Christians, if they are honest, believe that polygamy is against Gods will and therefore don't practice it.

Was it not the Mormon sect that practiced polygamy in the USA? Hardly could be called mainstream Christians..

Upshot is whoever practices polygamy will answer to God for it. So no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Actually it happens far more frequently than you may think, when I lived in Morocco it was not uncommon for a couple to marry for sex and then divorce after a week or whatever time suited both parties. This to my mind made a mockery of the holy sacrament of marriage.

God never condoned polygamy but like divorce he allowed it to occur and did not bring an immediate punishment for this disobedience.

Deut. 17:14-17: “I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,' “you shall surely set a king over you whom the LORD your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the LORD has said to you, 'You shall not return that way again.' “Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.”

This is the command of God, and he has never changed it. Polygamy may well have been prevalent in Biblical times, just because it occurred didn't make it right. The majority of Christians, if they are honest, believe that polygamy is against Gods will and therefore don't practice it.

Was it not the Mormon sect that practiced polygamy in the USA? Hardly could be called mainstream Christians..

Upshot is whoever practices polygamy will answer to God for it. So no problem.
Well I can agree fully with your last sentence. Eventually we all will answer to God(swt) for our entire life on earth. He alone is the only true Judge.

I will agree temporary marriages do happen in Morocco. I have also lived there. However, it is not permitted in Islam (Sunni). Not all who wear the name of Muslim always follow Islam. Like all religions we do have those who do not practice what they preach.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Very true.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Polygamy is not prohibited in the Bible either. One wife Is recommended but polygamy is not condemned.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Armchair Biblical scholars need to use a certain amount of caution in distinguising between God's commands and his practical applications. Sure, Adam had only one wife, but human beings were in rather short supply in those days, and one was the minimum number of wives necessary for procreation.

In Deuteronomy 17:17, we find that "“Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.” So if you're going to multiply gold, go ahead and multiply wives, too. You can only go to Hell once.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Armchair Biblical scholars need to use a certain amount of caution in distinguising between God's commands and his practical applications. Sure, Adam had only one wife, but human beings were in rather short supply in those days, and one was the minimum number of wives necessary for procreation.

In Deuteronomy 17:17, we find that "“Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.” So if you're going to multiply gold, what the hell, go ahead and multiply wives, too.
Lol at armchair biblical scholars...it does not say directly that polygamy is forbidden, but there are many examples of why it is against Gods will for man. But mankind have interpreted the scriptures to suit themselves since first they were written..I include all scriptures in this..and I can't see that will change any.

Procreation does not depend on marriage. And I doubt that procreation is first and foremost in the minds of those men who choose to take plural wives. Of course Islam puts conditions on polygamy as it does on most things. Like have to be able to treat all wives equally ..that rules out the poorer guys then. Also wife number one has to be in agreement, can't see many women if they were honest wishing to share a husband with another. But for the poorer women in society who are dependant on their husbands then any choice they have in the matter becomes academic. They will agree to whatever their husband tells them to.

So it's really a bit biased towards the menfolk ...and those menfolk who can afford it

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Polygamy is not prohibited in the Bible either. One wife Is recommended but polygamy is not condemned.
True, it was still quite common in Christianity until the 13th century and is still practiced in some Christian Denominations/Sects in Africa.

But I can not think of any Western Denominations that allow it.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM

72 posts, read 110,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Urfi marriages are forbidden for Sunni Muslims which are about 90% of Islam. Some Shi'a groups do practice it. At one point it was tolerated in Islam for soldiers who would probably never return home to their wives. It does not seem to be in the Qur'an at least I never came across it.

Just as a reminder: the question is:
Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam?
What do Christians in Africa or in the US have to do with this?

Why do you jump to a different topic? Why build strawmen and throw around red herrings and tu quoques?

Quote:
As for polygamy the Qur'an is the only scripture that limits the number of wives a man can have. ... Based on there being np prohibition of it in the bible.Martin Luther allowed polygamy as part of his church restoration.
Do you know all scriptures?

Luther did not "allow" polygamy but, as was the case with all church traditions, questioned it: "If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God."

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Marriage as ordained by God should be for love...not just sex. Sex for gratification only, without love is meaningless. As is temporary marriages like Urfi marriage...which is just an excuse for Illicit relations. .It does not fool God, and does not make it less than a sin.

If God wanted a man to have four wives he would have created Adam and Eve and Eve and Eve and Eve. He didn't so therefore man was meant to have one wife.

So what makes you think Adam and Eve were married? Nothing about that in the Bible.

Married people might be a model for married people. But unmarried couples cohabiting aren't really a model for what marriage should be.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM

72 posts, read 110,660 times
In scriptures I know there are many restrictions of all sorts and kinds. It all comes down to culture and civilisation. If marriages of short duration with several partners of varying ages were the norm, this is reflected in the texts of the era.

I don't think anyone can answer the question why certain food or clothes are prohibited or commanded. You either believe it is necessary or you don't. The same goes for multiple wives in the Koran, where it is not clear who is allowed how many wives, but is a matter or interpretation.

Example: 4:3 says that a man should marry 2 and 3 and 4 wives if he can't treat orphans justly. Then there is a restriction to 1 wife or female slave if the man can't really handle several wives to make things right.

So where does this generally condone several wives? What do orphans have to do with it? It is not defined and requires substantial human interpretation.

Another thingy: polygamy means "several partners", which is not the case in Islam. Only men are mentioned, which makes it polygyny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam