Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 AM

43 posts, read 72,144 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Muslims acknowledge all prophets who have existed throughout history from the Torah and Bible, but then it seems like they admire and love Muhammad more than all others it seems like. Why can't you follow Jesus (Isa) instead of Muhammad? I know many Muslims tries to follow Muhammad's role model, but why not Jesus role model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 AM

67 posts, read 84,775 times
It is a consequence of believing that he was the last prophet, the one who brought the law that abrogated all previous laws. The Qur'an itself, as well as hadiths mentioned by the Prophet state to view the Prophets as equal and that Prophet Muhammad is not above the rest, but again, it's a consequence of what we believe.

You may not see riots, but whenever I am with another Muslim watching tv and they depict Jesus, we get pretty upset. When the film Noah came out a couple of months ago, the Middle East said they weren't going to show it.

We believe that the message of Muhammad is the same as those before, so one can say that we also follow Abraham or Jesus and believe many of the peaceful things that Jesus stated. I know I do this as well as some other American Muslims, but I can't speak for the rest.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
One can not be a Muslim without loving Jesus(as) and all the Prophets(PBUT)

We follow all of the Prophets(PBUT) All of the Prophets(PBUT) taught the same message. The Qur'an is simply the last time we will be given it. It is our last chance to not mess it up again.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One can not be a Muslim without loving Jesus(as) and all the Prophets(PBUT)

We follow all of the Prophets(PBUT) All of the Prophets(PBUT) taught the same message. The Qur'an is simply the last time we will be given it. It is our last chance to not mess it up again.
What is the difference between Mohammed claiming to be the last and true prophet, and Joesph Smith claiming the same thing?

Both got their revelations in isolation, without any independent outside sources. Both were visited by angels, Gabriel and Moroni.

I just don't see the difference in the revelations.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What is the difference between Mohammed claiming to be the last and true prophet, and Joesph Smith claiming the same thing?

Both got their revelations in isolation, without any independent outside sources. Both were visited by angels, Gabriel and Moroni.

I just don't see the difference in the revelations.
One difference, Muhammad(saws) did not pop up with a book claiming it to be a revaluation.

Contrary to popular belief, not all of the revelations took place in the cave. The Cave Revelations included the very first personal revelations were in the cave, and are not part of the Qur'an.

The revelations took place in several locations. The Revelation took place over a 22 year period. There is no single location and each revelation was recited by Muhammad(saws) immediately after being revealed or as it was being revealed.

Another difference is the Qur'an never claims to be a new message or a supplement to what has already been revealed.

It is true Both Muhammad(saws) and Joseph Smith are believed to be the final Prophet by their adherents.

I think each person needs to examine all views and find for them self which is the most feasible. We all have the responsibility to find reason to believe what we each believe.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One difference, Muhammad(saws) did not pop up with a book claiming it to be a revaluation.

Contrary to popular belief, not all of the revelations took place in the cave. The Cave Revelations included the very first personal revelations were in the cave, and are not part of the Qur'an.

The revelations took place in several locations. The Revelation took place over a 22 year period. There is no single location and each revelation was recited by Muhammad(saws) immediately after being revealed or as it was being revealed.

Another difference is the Qur'an never claims to be a new message or a supplement to what has already been revealed.

It is true Both Muhammad(saws) and Joseph Smith are believed to be the final Prophet by their adherents.

I think each person needs to examine all views and find for them self which is the most feasible. We all have the responsibility to find reason to believe what we each believe.

Which speaks to the core of many discussions here. If one can pick and chose for themselves what speaks best to them, how can anyone lay claim to being the one and true religion?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
[/b]

Which speaks to the core of many discussions here. If one can pick and chose for themselves what speaks best to them, how can anyone lay claim to being the one and true religion?
They can't.

None of us can tell another what or how to believe. We can only give our own reasons. but it is up to each person to seek verification of all things.

I can not and will not tell you to follow Islam. What you follow or don't follow has to be your own choice based upon what you personally have found to be true.

This is what is meant by no compulsion in religion, we alone have the responsibility to accept the consequences of what we believe.

No human has the responsibility to lead another to Allaah(swt). Besides it is an impossibility to do so. Each person has to choose with sincerity and with full knowledge based upon their own findings.

Each person and on their own, makes the choice of what they believe. If they follow a wrong or useless path, that is their choice as they have the responsibility to verify the truth of all things they believe. Being misled is no excuse, as long as we have free will and the ability to learn.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM

I only wish all adherents to all religions felt the same way as you expressed yourself here.

Sadly that is not the case. At least not in the case of many Christians or Muslims. I am not aware of Jews actively or by coercion seeking converts, nor am I aware of any of the major Eastern religions acting so.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I only wish all adherents to all religions felt the same way as you expressed yourself here.

Sadly that is not the case. At least not in the case of many Christians or Muslims. I am not aware of Jews actively or by coercion seeking converts, nor am I aware of any of the major Eastern religions acting so.
While there are Muslims that attempt to Proselytize Islam, it is a very fruitless endeavor as we do not know who is a Muslim. to be Muslim is a very personal relationship between the individual and Allaah(swt) it requires the free will choice of a person to submit to Allaah(swt), with the full intent to do so and to do it as an informed choice based upon knowledge.

there is no earthly way a person can prove they are a Muslim to another person. We have nothing to "join" to be a Muslim. we do not tithe or even acknowledge any religious leadership. (Speaking of Sunnis)

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM

446 posts, read 484,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySe View Post
Why is it that Muslims acknowledge all prophets who have existed throughout history from the Torah and Bible, but then it seems like they admire and love Muhammad more than all others it seems like. Why can't you follow Jesus (Isa) instead of Muhammad? I know many Muslims tries to follow Muhammad's role model, but why not Jesus role model?
Besides what brother Woodrow said, every prophet was sent to a certain nation or group of people and that certain group or nation was obligated to follow the message of monotheism from their prophet.

Muslims fully respect all prophets; however, are not obligated to fully follow other prophets because there could be slightly different rules and laws each prophet brought for his nation. For example, alcohol was perhaps allowed among some prophets before Prophet Muhammad (saw) so Jews and Christians drink but Muslims avoid it.

Quran also assures Jews, Christians and Sabeans of Pre-Muhammad's (saw) era to be rewarded for believing in God, the judgement day and for doing the righteous deeds. 2:62

From the Islamic point of view, every nation will be judged with the message their prophet brought for them. And hence Muslims will be judged with what prophet Muhammad (saw) brought for us and NOT what Isa or Musa etc brought for their nations, even though the message of monotheism is common among all prophets.

Last edited by ll0OoO0ll; 06-05-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam