U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
I hope you'll allow a non-Muslim to comment here.

On September 14th I received a Facebook invitation to ...

... a vigil for the embassy employees who were killed in Libya, organized by a Libyan-American group. Please join us and bring signs sharing your thoughts about the violence that's erupted over this "film" these last few days.

It was posted by a valued Muslim friend.
How did your friend know the violence in Libya "erupted over" a film?

Does he think the Libyan people are so volatile that they would get all bent out of shape over a 13-minute excerpt from a stupid movie? Well, I guess he understands the Libyan people better than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM

416 posts, read 353,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My apologies.

I'll try to Clarify. Nearly all of the anti-Jesus(a.s.) are against Jesus(a.s.) as being the Son of God, some Muslims would fear that to protest such may be indicative of giving the appearance that they were supporting the Idea Jesus(a.s.) is the Son of God, which would be tantamount to Idolatry (The sin of shirk) the only unpardonable sin to a Muslim.

Just my opinion but that is why I believe many Muslims would not protest an anti-Jesus(a.s.) event or media portrayal.
They don't care that Jesus is being taught as being God himself? They don't have an issue with that, and feel the need to riot over that? Instead they riot over a stupid 10 minute video, or a cartoon published in an obscure Danish newspaper, or whatever?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
They don't care that Jesus is being taught as being God himself? They don't have an issue with that, and feel the need to riot over that? Instead they riot over a stupid 10 minute video, or a cartoon published in an obscure Danish newspaper, or whatever?
We do believe what Jesus(as) taught was the Injil, the "Gospel of Jesus" given by God(swt), which very little of, if any , is found in the NT.

Yes, quite a few did riot. Even 1 person rioting would be too many. There is no justification for the rioting. Although, it does appear the intent of the film maker seems to be he had desired such to happen. I do believe a PEACEFUL protest was justified, but violence was not justified. I am not going to switch this over to a discussion of the film maker as those who did riot do need to be held accountable for their actions which were atrocious.

Each Muslim represents only himself. The actions of any Muslim or even a majority group of Muslims does not represent all Muslims or what all Muslims believe Islam to be. The only thing all Muslims have in common is we are all to follow the same 5 Pillars of Faith.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
We do believe what Jesus(as) taught was the Injil, the "Gospel of Jesus" given by God(swt), which very little of, if any , is found in the NT.

Yes, quite a few did riot. Even 1 person rioting would be too many. There is no justification for the rioting. Although, it does appear the intent of the film maker seems to be he had desired such to happen. I do believe a PEACEFUL protest was justified, but violence was not justified. I am not going to switch this over to a discussion of the film maker as those who did riot do need to be held accountable for their actions which were atrocious.

Each Muslim represents only himself. The actions of any Muslim or even a majority group of Muslims does not represent all Muslims or what all Muslims believe Islam to be. The only thing all Muslims have in common is we are all to follow the same 5 Pillars of Faith.
I understand what you're saying--I don't care to discuss the film, nor do I mean to imply guilt on all muslims as a result of this.

My point is that we see other prophets of Islam being made fun of daily...but we see no outcry. I find that interesting.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM

9,529 posts, read 4,870,157 times
Quote:
Actually we consider all of the Prophets to be equal. We do not see the Jesus of the Bible as being Jesus(as)in Arabic Isa(a.s.)

We see the NT as presenting a corrupted image of Isa(as) and made a fabricated Man-god out of one of the most loved of Prophets. To support the Jesus of the bible would be supporting a false god and be the sin of shirk.
Jesus and Muhammad equal in Islam ? Who's word do you look to for guidance and instruction ? Who's name is more popular in Islam ? Which prophet gave the word of Allah ?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying--I don't care to discuss the film, nor do I mean to imply guilt on all muslims as a result of this.

My point is that we see other prophets of Islam being made fun of daily...but we see no outcry. I find that interesting.
For a large part I find that the media does not seem to aim those towards any venue a Muslim is likely to notice. Usually all references are in English. Muslims are usually not avid movie goers or TV watchers and seldom participate in any public events. We are to avoid get togethers that are mixed male and female. unless it is necessary to do so. We are not likely to see much unless it is directed towards Muslims.

Us English speaking Muslims are pretty much in the western world. Here in the USA you do not get that many of us who actively protest anything, except possibly in Dearborn, Michigan and a few other cities.
Oddly when I lived in Austin the Muslims in Austin held an annual protest against Muslim terrorists. Although that attracted several thousand people, it seldom ever made even the last page of the newspaper.

I agree we should protest the insults to any and all Prophets. Why we don't I do not know for certain. I do remember some did protest the movie "Life of Brian" as it seemed to be an insult to Moses(PBUH) and some protested the controversial picture of "Jesus in Urine" But that did become a predominately Christian protest.

Perhaps it is because the insults of Muhammad(PBUH) are aimed specifically towards Islam and for some reason appear to be heavily advertized. They are more likely to appear in venues of interest to Muslims. Quite often you will see them heavily advertized in areas near Mosques.

The youtube video was heavily plastered on Islamic Websites by non-members. On the web site I administer we were barraged by them and the mods had to work their tails off to keep them from being seen by the members.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
For a large part I find that the media does not seem to aim those towards any venue a Muslim is likely to notice. Usually all references are in English. Muslims are usually not avid movie goers or TV watchers and seldom participate in any public events. We are to avoid get togethers that are mixed male and female. unless it is necessary to do so. We are not likely to see much unless it is directed towards Muslims.
I honestly have not watched the film in question that supposedly set off the riots and killings in Libya and Egypt...but from what I understand, the film was in English...so I fail to see your point.
Quote:

The youtube video was heavily plastered on Islamic Websites by non-members. On the web site I administer we were barraged by them and the mods had to work their tails off to keep them from being seen by the members.
So, I could expect the same if I were to plaster a link to any of the hundreds of anti-Jesus films we've seen in the last few decades. Many of them have no theological point about Jesus being God, and are far from Christian.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I honestly have not watched the film in question that supposedly set off the riots and killings in Libya and Egypt...but from what I understand, the film was in English...so I fail to see your point.

So, I could expect the same if I were to plaster a link to any of the hundreds of anti-Jesus films we've seen in the last few decades. Many of them have no theological point about Jesus being God, and are far from Christian.
Libya and Egypt were riots fixing to happen. It only required an excuse. the film provided that. I suspect both the Libyan and Egyptian governments used this as a means to direct the attention of the populace away from them.

As for if you would gain the same type reaction if you posted publicity about any insults to any Prophets on an Islamic site, I think you would. I could be wrong, but I think you would.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Jesus and Muhammad equal in Islam ? Who's word do you look to for guidance and instruction ? Who's name is more popular in Islam ? Which prophet gave the word of Allah ?
We look to the Word of God(swt). We do not believe Muhammad(PBUH) wrote the Qur'an he only delivered the same message that was given to all Prophets(PBUT)

As for popularity Muhammad is the most popular male name. Oddly only new converts to Islam can use it or it can be given to a first born son if the Father has it in his name.(that is not an absolute or obligation, but a tradition followed by many)
However there are variations of the name such as Ahmed. Both derived from the Arabic word Hamid meaning "to Praise" to the Arab speaker it carries the connotation of Abdullah (Servant of Allah). When You see a Muslim named Muhammad, you can usually trace his family tree back to a convert. Isa (Jesus) is also a very popular name. As are Musa (Moses), Ibrahim (Abraham) and other Prophets.

Jesus(a.s) is the most named Prophet in the Qur'an.

The name Allah is derived from the same root as the Hebrew Elohim. It is basically the Arabic equivalent. Arab Christians that predated Muhammad also used and still use the name Allah. Keep in mind Muhammad's Uncle by Marriage was a Christian Monk, who used the name Allah.

There is nothing new in the Qur'an with the exception of historical events that occurred at the time the Qur'an was being revealed. All of the Prophets were given the same Message. Muhammad did not write it nor did he reveal anything that Allah(swt) had not revealed in the past.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:

As for if you would gain the same type reaction if you posted publicity about any insults to any Prophets on an Islamic site, I think you would. I could be wrong, but I think you would.
Why haven't we then? In the last 10 years we've seen a lot of stupid stuff like this go on because someone blamed a cartoonist or a writer for disrespecting Muhammed. Remember Salmon Rushdie? He got a fatwa declared against him. Why haven't muslims declared war on Christianity.

Oh wait....I guess they have. We read of Christian marytrs daily.

Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam