U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM

102 posts, read 127,771 times

Advertisements

Since Jesus Christ is taken as a very high leveled Prophet (second only to Mohammad) within Islam, Muslims should defend the honor of Jesus MUCH more so than they do within the anti-Christ Western media culture. This, of course, goes for Christians as well, they don't defend the honor of Christ NEARLY as much as they should either. Nonetheless, and again, Jesus is claimed as a very important Prophet and Muslims should defend his honor with the media being SO anti-Jesus. I know the media bothers me, should bother you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,019,446 times
Well firstly Christ is only considered a prophet in Islam, to many others and to Christians he is more than that. Christ taught love and forgiveness and to turn the other cheek. If we were to commit a violent act in his name it would be a sin. Christ does not need his followers to fight his corner because his message is strong enough to stand the test of time. It will remain long after those who would insult him have passed to dust.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,743,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBeano View Post
Since Jesus Christ is taken as a very high leveled Prophet (second only to Mohammad) within Islam, Muslims should defend the honor of Jesus MUCH more so than they do within the anti-Christ Western media culture. This, of course, goes for Christians as well, they don't defend the honor of Christ NEARLY as much as they should either. Nonetheless, and again, Jesus is claimed as a very important Prophet and Muslims should defend his honor with the media being SO anti-Jesus. I know the media bothers me, should bother you too.
The explanation is simple. It is called personalization. As Muhammad(PBUH) is identified only with Islam. an attack against Muhammad(PBUH) is personalized and taken as an attack against all Muslims. It is a personal attack against each Muslim individually.

While an attack against Jesus(as) is just as bad. the personalization is not there. Jesus(as) is recognized as special by numerous groups. No one group is singled out by attacking him. Few people will feel the attack as being a personal attack against them

On the other hand, Moses while a Prophet to all of the Abrahamic Faiths, he is identified closest with Judaism. an attack against Moses would probably cause an uproar in a Jewish community. However since the number of Jews in the world is very small there would not be any group large enough to cause much of an uproar. On the other hand as there is fast approaching 2 billion Muslims in the world if only 1/2 of 1% becomes violent over an insult of Muhammad(PBUH) that would mean something like 20 million people. More than the total population of Jews in the world.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Before muslims riot and commit violence on who they perceive to be the enemy when they think someone has insulted Prophet Muhammed, maybe they would do well to ask themselves.." What would our Prophet advise us to do". Maybe then they would be more like Christians and realise that a Messiah or Prophet to be worthy of the title does not need a person to fight his corner for him. Their message should be enough.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Before muslims riot and commit violence on who they perceive to be the enemy when they think someone has insulted Prophet Muhammed, maybe they would do well to ask themselves.." What would our Prophet advise us to do". Maybe then they would be more like Christians and realise that a Messiah or Prophet to be worthy of the title does not need a person to fight his corner for him. Their message should be enough.
There would be no violence, if they acted as Muhammad(PBUH) would have acted.

I agree. Muhammad(PBUH) was attacked and insulted many times in life and never acted with Violence towards those who insulted him. there are several authenticated Hadith in which He protected those who insulted him and stopped anyone from harming them

Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM

There are also many instances in the Quran that shows Mohammed was not beyond resorting to violence on occasions.

When I question this..how a prophet of God could justify a violent act...it was explained to me that it was violent times and the way of the world at that time that dictated such actions. I thought, and said ..this was no arguement or excuse as Jesus lived in times 500 years before Mohammed so the world would have been a violent place just the same. Jesus never condoned a violent act against another. His message was delivered by peaceful discussion.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Jesus never condoned a violent act against another. His message was delivered by peaceful discussion.
Violence, while not always an act of evil, may be defined as causing injury or damage by rough or abusive treatment. If the New Testament account is true, Jesus did commit certain acts of violence. Whip in hand he attacked the merchants in the Temple area, causing a fracas (Matthew 21:12, Mark 11:15-16, Luke 19:45, John 2:15). He caused the death, by drowning, of a herd of swine by allowing demons to purposely enter their bodies (Matthew 8:32, Mark 5:13, Luke 8:33) and destroyed a fig tree for not having fruit out of season (Matthew 21:18-21, Mark 11:13-14).

SOURCE

Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM

I was going to add the merchants in the Temple, as that is well documented. Herd of devil infested swine and a fig tree!!!!

As violent acts go they pale into insignificance from the examples we have in the Quran...who are too many to mention. But I'm sure you know which ones I mean.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I was going to add the merchants in the Temple, as that is well documented. Herd of devil infested swine and a fig tree!!!!

As violent acts go they pale into insignificance from the examples we have in the Quran...who are too many to mention. But I'm sure you know which ones I mean.
I probably know the exact ones you mean. To understand them one needs to know when those were revealed, They are basically during episodes of war. Muhammad(PBUH) was facing conditions very similar to the old Testament Prophets(PBUT) also the Full Qur'an had not yet been revealed to Muhammad(PBUH)

Old 10-21-2012, 04:18 PM

I was just thinking Woodrow, the examples you gave of violence related to Jesus, no harm was attributed to any person by his actions.

The scourging of the Temple, tables were overturned and animals and people turned out..

Jesus at the Temple

12 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer, but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.”

14 The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. 15 But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple courts, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant.

No people were hurt...the herd of devil possessed swine certainly ran into the sea, but did Jesus force them to.... Or was he asked to..

1And he came to the other side of the sea to the region of the Gadarenes. 2And when he went out from the ship, a man met him from among the tombs that had a foul spirit in him. 3And he dwelt among the tombs and no one was able to bind him with chains, 4Because whenever he had been bound in shackles and chains he had broken the chains and cut the shackles apart and no one was able to subdue him. 5And always at night and in the daytime he was among the tombs and in the mountains and was crying out and cutting himself with stones. 6But when he saw Yeshua from a distance he ran and prostrated himself. 7And he cried out in a loud voice and he said, “What do I have to do with you, Yeshua, Son of God Most High? I adjure you by God that you will not torture me!” 8For he had said to him, “Come out from the man, foul spirit!” 9And he had asked him, “What is your name?” He said to him, “Our name is Legion, for we are many.” 10And he begged of him much that he would not send him out of the region. 11But there was near the mountain a great herd of swine that were feeding. 12And those evil spirits were begging of him and they were saying, “Send us unto those swine that we may enter them.” 13And he allowed them, and these foul spirits went out and entered into the swine, and that herd ran to a precipice and fell into the sea, about 2000 of them, and they drowned in the water.

It can't be denied that Jesus taught Gods love through peaceful means, the New Testament is an account of that. He taught this by Gods will as he was the instrument of God. So really it's not practical to say that the violence in the Quran was due to the violent times it was revealed in or the fact that it had not been fully revealed, that implies that the violent verses were maybe wrong. If God truely revealed the Quran, then obviously this can't be the case.

So we are left with the scenario..God through Christ sent his message to mankind of his love and his wish for mankind to live in peace with each other...then 500 years later he changed his mind and sent the Quran, which it claims its right and even a duty to fight and kill unbelievers unless they turn to Islam.

Sorry I find this scenario unlikely. The Bible clearly teaches Christ's message of peace and goodwill to all men which is still clear today, and real Christians stick to this creed. Unfortunately many muslims also stick to the creed of the Quran...including the violence against "unbelievers" which is a great cause of misery in the world. I can't see why God would wish to add any violence to the Quran at all...seeing as its so unlike the New Testament teachings of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or