U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 24,505,099 times
Reputation: 7302

Advertisements

Tricky, I think you may be right about some people feeling that it is their extended family. I am sure you have read here on this forum where people saying that they felt a group or congregation made them feel as if they "belonged." There is definitly a feel of belonging to a family in a lot of close congregations.

This feeling is important to them. Right or wrong, they seem to need it. Perhaps it is sort of a personification of Love. They can see those around them, they can feel the hugs, express themselves, all the things that they may feel unable to do about a Supreme Being.

There may even be a certain type of personality that does this. I am thinking about the person that joins every fraternal, business or social club available. Membership furnishes something needed in their lives.

Is this good? Bad? I have no idea, but I expect it fills a vital need to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,789,746 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Again, I will ask the same old tired questions......How does the way the world started have to do with the way you live today?

What is the purpose of fretting about it?

Will it make anyone a better Christian to change beliefs?

What does one belief or the other have to do with one's own personal relationship with Jesus?

Any finally, Do you really think that God cares about what you believe about creation as much as he cares about what you think about your fellow man?
How the world started and its history is very significant if you are interested in oil/gas exploration, plate tectonics, medicine, genetics, etc. You can't pick and choose science. It's all interrelated. And an incurious mind is not a good thing in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,807,884 times
Reputation: 1573
Lightbulb To be, or not to be....part of an extended family!

Originally Posted by Padgett2
Quote:
This feeling is important to them. Right or wrong, they seem to need it. Perhaps it is sort of a personification of Love. They can see those around them, they can feel the hugs, express themselves, all the things that they may feel unable to do about a Supreme Being.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to belong to a group or family. Unless you let the group determine who you are or who you should be.
Friends and family can act perfectly as a Ďsafety netí, but when they use the security of the group as a bargaining chip to determine who you are or who you should be I just abandon the whole group/family.
But than that is just me.
I consider myself a tolerant person, but I will not suffer intolerant people.
If a group, for whatever reason, doesnít want me to be a member, I donít want to join them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
179 posts, read 313,799 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
The reason the Christians get all the flak is that we live in the USA and its the Christians trying to shove their religion down everyone's throats.
I guess forcing us, at tax payer expense, to learn evolution is not the same? And don't give me that we have the choice. Because I know of no science class that will pass you if you do not learn evolution.

Quote:
If the Muslims were trying to put "In Allah We Trust" on money and teach their version of creation in science class, they would get the same treatment.
What do you think will be put there once "in God we trust" is removed, and all Sayings about God are sand blasted from all the momuments? In fact, why not ask France how they are doing under the Islamic religion being the major religion compare to when the Christians were there. And were kicked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,208,349 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
I guess forcing us, at tax payer expense, to learn evolution is not the same? And don't give me that we have the choice. Because I know of no science class that will pass you if you do not learn evolution.



What do you think will be put there once "in God we trust" is removed, and all Sayings about God are sand blasted from all the momuments? In fact, why not ask France how they are doing under the Islamic religion being the major religion compare to when the Christians were there. And were kicked out.
1. Evolution is part of scientific theory hence you teach it with science.

2. When "in God we trust" is removed (which it won't be) I'm guessing nothing will be there although I hope it says "BigThirsty Is Awesome"

3. Interesting when you say "ask France how they are doing under the Islamic religion being the major religion..."

Interesting because I'd like to see that data..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
 
356 posts, read 1,048,813 times
Reputation: 224
Isn't France considered the birthplace of modern secularism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
520 posts, read 1,718,538 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
I guess forcing us, at tax payer expense, to learn evolution is not the same? And don't give me that we have the choice. Because I know of no science class that will pass you if you do not learn evolution.
As bigthirsty said, evolution is scientific theory and as such should be taught in science class. Creationism is religion and may be taught in a mythology or comparative religions class that also teaches about Buddhism, Islam, Hindiusm, etc.

Quote:
What do you think will be put there once "in God we trust" is removed, and all Sayings about God are sand blasted from all the momuments?
Actually, my hope would be that nothing is put there. God should not be endorsed by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 24,505,099 times
Reputation: 7302
Learning about evolution and why people think it's a valid theory is a lot different from being "forced" to believe in evolution.

The schools that teach information about evolution are not forcing anyone to believe in it. Beliefs about religious teachings should ONLY be found in the home. It is the schools purpose to give information. It is the parents responsibilty to teach the student to sort and evaluate that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
 
5,635 posts, read 13,979,876 times
Reputation: 2731
I think Christians don't believe in Islamic Allah because of three profound reasons:

1.) The Islamic faith was created 600 years after Christianity

2.) The Islamic Koran does not have any historical grounds that has been proven by archeological facts, unlike the Bible.

3.) The Koran ignores the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ, an event that the vast majority of New Testament scholars agree happened.

Hope I was able to put that down into the simplest terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,746,252 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
The Koran ignores the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ, an event that the vast majority of New Testament scholars agree happened.
How many NT scholars believe that Jesus was not crucified?
I imagine that would make them pretty unpopular in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top