U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
 
Location: South East UK
659 posts, read 1,272,905 times
Reputation: 137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
What does one belief or the other have to do with one's own personal relationship with Jesus?

Any finally, Do you really think that God cares about what you believe about creation as much as he cares about what you think about your fellow man?
Certainly Jesus must be wondering about this creation thing 'cos the world as we know it was here when he was born, according to history.

I like the bit about caring for your fellow man, come above religion in my book too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
 
Location: South East UK
659 posts, read 1,272,905 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I think Christians don't believe in Islamic Allah because of three profound reasons:

1.) The Islamic faith was created 600 years after Christianity

2.) The Islamic Koran does not have any historical grounds that has been proven by archeological facts, unlike the Bible.

3.) The Koran ignores the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ, an event that the vast majority of New Testament scholars agree happened.

Hope I was able to put that down into the simplest terms.
It's worth saying Christainity is not the first established religion so does that invalidate it?


I believe the part of history that covers Jesus according to Islam does refer to Jesus, but he did not die on the cross. See link.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...a-muslims.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
 
5,635 posts, read 13,976,324 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
It's worth saying Christainity is not the first established religion so does that invalidate it?


I believe the part of history that covers Jesus according to Islam does refer to Jesus, but he did not die on the cross. See link.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...a-muslims.html
Hi Famenity,
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. But, does it matter whether Christianity was not the first established religion? One of the reasons Jesus came was to get the people to drop their paganistic ways and follow him. Christianity was established as a result of his crucifiction.


Yes, the Koran does refer to Jesus, but only as one of several messiahs, not a God. I studied the history of the Koran and concluded that Islam was established out of jealousy from the Christian movement. This sounds harsh, but here's how it breaks down:

Islam is the second largest world religion, just behind Christianity. It has about 1.2 billion followers worldwide. Islam was founded by a man named Mohammad living in Arabia about 600 years after Christ. Mohammad was very upset about the polytheism that his people were practicing at the time, so he wanted to switch them over to "one god" because he believed that there is "no god, but God". So, Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.

So, can we say that Christians and muslims alike both believe in the same God? Yes, we can. Islam is an offshoot of the Judea Christian tradition. Mohammad was aware of Jews and Christians living in and around Arabia at the time and he admired these Christians because they were "people of the Book", he said. The Christians were monotheistic. Mohammad was in disagreement with the polytheistic beliefs of the Arab tribes that he lived with. He wanted to affirm, along with the Jews and CHristians, that there is only one God. SO, Islam is an offshoot of the Christian religion and is one of the great monotheistic religions in the world today.

So what is the relationship between "Allah" and "God"?

"Allah" is just the Arabic word for "God". In the Arabic New Testament, the word for "God" used in the New Testament by Christians is "Allah", as well. Verbally, it's the same word.

Muslims and Christians alike believe that God is a personal being who created the universe. He is all powerful, all knowing, all presence, eternal and holy and that all persons are responsible to God and that we all stand on the same footing. However. despite these areas of commonality, there are some radical differences, as well. One of the most important of these is that Islam is a form of unitarianism. Unitarianism the belief that God is one person. By contrast with this concept, Christianity is trinitarianism--we believe that God is three persons-the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

These are the main differences between Islam and Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,206,887 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hi Famenity,
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. But, does it matter whether Christianity was not the first established religion? One of the reasons Jesus came was to get the people to drop their paganistic ways and follow him. Christianity was established as a result of his crucifiction.


Yes, the Koran does refer to Jesus, but only as one of several messiahs, not a God. I studied the history of the Koran and concluded that Islam was established out of jealousy from the Christian movement. This sounds harsh, but here's how it breaks down:

Islam is the second largest world religion, just behind Christianity. It has about 1.2 billion followers worldwide. Islam was founded by a man named Mohammad living in Arabia about 600 years after Christ. Mohammad was very upset about the polytheism that his people were practicing at the time, so he wanted to switch them over to "one god" because he believed that there is "no god, but God". So, Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.

So, can we say that Christians and muslims alike both believe in the same God? Yes, we can. Islam is an offshoot of the Judea Christian tradition. Mohammad was aware of Jews and Christians living in and around Arabia at the time and he admired these Christians because they were "people of the Book", he said. The Christians were monotheistic. Mohammad was in disagreement with the polytheistic beliefs of the Arab tribes that he lived with. He wanted to affirm, along with the Jews and CHristians, that there is only one God. SO, Islam is an offshoot of the Christian religion and is one of the great monotheistic religions in the world today.

So what is the relationship between "Allah" and "God"?

"Allah" is just the Arabic word for "God". In the Arabic New Testament, the word for "God" used in the New Testament by Christians is "Allah", as well. Verbally, it's the same word.

Muslims and Christians alike believe that God is a personal being who created the universe. He is all powerful, all knowing, all presence, eternal and holy and that all persons are responsible to God and that we all stand on the same footing. However. despite these areas of commonality, there are some radical differences, as well. One of the most important of these is that Islam is a form of unitarianism. Unitarianism the belief that God is one person. By contrast with this concept, Christianity is trinitarianism--we believe that God is three persons-the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

These are the main differences between Islam and Christianity.
I think Famenity was responding to your quote:

"I think Christians don't believe in Islamic Allah because of three profound reasons:

1.) The Islamic faith was created 600 years after Christianity"


I could be wrong though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM
 
Location: South East UK
659 posts, read 1,272,905 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I think Famenity was responding to your quote:

"I think Christians don't believe in Islamic Allah because of three profound reasons:

1.) The Islamic faith was created 600 years after Christianity"


I could be wrong though..
That was my intention bigthirsty, lets face it Gods are in short supply, unless you believe in the Roman method of making Gods. So assuming we (not Atheists of course and I'm one) believe in one God then it follows we must believe in the same God.
So if Christianity was not the first religion why should it's followers denigrate a religion that comes later. In science the later knowledge is often the more accurate form of knowledge and even religion uses a form of science to justify its existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Florida
179 posts, read 313,731 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
1. Evolution is part of scientific theory hence you teach it with science.

2. When "in God we trust" is removed (which it won't be) I'm guessing nothing will be there although I hope it says "BigThirsty Is Awesome"

3. Interesting when you say "ask France how they are doing under the Islamic religion being the major religion..."

Interesting because I'd like to see that data..
Islam in France: The French Way of Life Is in Danger - Middle East Quarterly

Islam in France: The French Have Themselves to Blame - Middle East Quarterly

Islam in France and French Muslims

Islam in France : the Shaping of a religious minority - CHALLENGE | Liberty & Security

Islam rises as Christianity falls in Europe with Muslims soon to become a majority - Militant Islam Monitor - Militant Islam Monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,206,887 times
Reputation: 1468
So in response to "ask France how they are doing under the Islamic religion being the major religion..."

You present no data.. Just links to articles.. of which one of the articles titles reads "Islam in France : the Shaping of a religious minority"

So you presented evidence to the fact that Islam is not the major religion.

I'm so confused..

Oh wait.. there is an article.. the last article..titled "Islam rises as Christianity falls in Europe with Muslims soon to become a majority".. and who was that written by.. Well its on a site called 'Militant Islam Monitor.org'.. Well no bias there. Anyway the only data it gives is that Europe will be mostly muslim by the end of this century.

That tells me the following:

1. That they aren't the "majority" religion today that you claim
2. That a site called 'Militant Islam Monitor.org' predicts they will be the end of this century. Cause it is fairly simple to predict demographics 93 years out.

So there you have it.. actually.. there you don't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
 
Location: South East UK
659 posts, read 1,272,905 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
That a site called 'Militant Islam Monitor.org' predicts they will be the end of this century. Cause it is fairly simple to predict demographics 93 years out.

So there you have it.. actually.. there you don't have it.
Good point bigthirsty, with everything at his disposal even Tony Blair couldn't prophesy the future for a few short years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 6,081,199 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Allah Creationism or Christian Creationism or Pubah Creationism or TuTu Creationism or Flabba Flabba Tee Tee Creationism are all bunk in my mind if they believe the earth is 6,000-10,000 years old.

Why? Scientific dating or rocks etc has proved to me otherwise.
Flabba Flabba Tee Tee? Who is their prophet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 07:11 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,206,887 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Flabba Flabba Tee Tee? Who is their prophet?
The Grand Poobah of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top