U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,881,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My answer: I have not seen anything requiring us to destroy them unless it is our own property.

However, in the Qur'an it is clear we are not to Make, own or display such,
So that would be the reason the giant Buddhas in Afghanistan were destroyed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
So that would be the reason the giant Buddhas in Afghanistan were destroyed?
I was expecting that to be your next question.

Here you will find disagreement among us Muslims. Some think like me and would say we are not to harm them as they are not our property. Others will say they had to be destroyed because they were the Property of Afghanistan and not to be owned by Muslims.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for answering my questions.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM

An art form besides architcture has been in the field of Calligraphy. This is actually my favorite area. There are at least 7 different Arabic scripts in use today, the one most used for Calligraphy is the Diwani which is free flowing and unstructured and can be difficult to read. It is usually only used for well known Quotes or phrases in which the reader only needs to identify a few letters and from that know what is Written. Probably the most common group of words written is the Bismillah as every Muslim repeats these words before doing any action.

Here are some examples of calligraphy using the Bismillah

Those all read the same "Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem" (In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful)

Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Here the artist used calligraphy to make the shape of a horse and rider.

link to the site I found the art on.
Islamic Center: Beauty of Islamic Art Calligraphy

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Another popular phrase for Calligraphy is the Kalima or Shahadah. again a phrase well known to every Muslim and easily recognized from just 2 or 3 letters.

Some examples

The one above is in a more structered script. Not quite as fluid as the diwani script. I am not certain but I believe it is a modified form of theThuluth script.

Now to return to the Diwani Script

The remainder are in scripts I am not certain of but I think they are variations of Kufic and Thuluth

They all say the same thing "La alah ilallah Muhammad ir Rasool Allah" (There is no god but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Here the artist used calligraphy to make the shape of a horse and rider.

link to the site I found the art on.
Islamic Center: Beauty of Islamic Art Calligraphy
That Particular one reads "La alah ilallah Muhammad ir Rasool Allah" it is the Kalima. It is in the Diwani Script

That particular form while popular is discourged by some scholars as it can be seen as making an image of a living thing. Others are of the opinion that it is not an image but a phrase and does represent an actual living creature.

Here is one of the Bismillah

On a personal note I discourage the display of them as they can be seen as man made images of a living creatures.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM

762 posts, read 986,775 times
Saadian tomb mausoleum in Marrakech has some beautiful fretwork and tiles. Don't know how to attach pics yet...otherwise I would post one.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Saadian tomb mausoleum in Marrakech has some beautiful fretwork and tiles. Don't know how to attach pics yet...otherwise I would post one.
Yes it Does. I wish I still had the pictures I took in Morocco.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM

762 posts, read 986,775 times
I've got hundreds of photos. I love Morocco. I love the desert, at night the stars are like diamonds. I sold the place I had there a couple of years ago, I wish I hadn't now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or