U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,116,499 times

Advertisements

Look at the topics in this forum.

One tells us that Quran has all the answers, another brags about Islamic music and art, another has pictures of a visit to Mecca, another tells about the scientific truths in the Quran, another shows how smart Muhammad was. To me, they all seem like bragging.

The Christian and Jewish forums are much different. In the Jewish forum, they argue a lot with a great deal of feeling. Like someone said, "With two Jews, you have three opinions." In the Christian forum, people ask a lot of questions and the others argue over the answers.

In a way, that makes sense, because the Jewish and Christian holy books were written by different people at different times and therefore contain contradictions, whereas the Quran and the Book of Mormon were written by individuals and probably have more internal consistency.

Do Muslims not argue as much as the Jews and Christians do?

Last edited by hiker45; 10-31-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

One tells us that Quran has all the answers, another brags about Islamic music and art, another has pictures of a visit to Mecca, another tells about the scientific truths in the Quran, another shows how smart Muhammad was. To me, they all sseem like bragging.

The Christian and Jewish forums are much different. In the Jewish forum, they argue a lot with a great deal of feeling. Like someone said, "With two Jews, you have three opinions." In the Christian forum, people ask a lot of questions and the others argue over the answers.

In a way, that makes sense, because the Jewish and Christian holy books were written by different people at different times and therefore contain contradictions, whereas the Quran and the Book of Mormon were written by individuals and probably have more internal consistency.

Keep in mind we are extremely individualistic and as such respect the right of others to differ.

Also nearly 95% of us follow the same Sunni Path. We don't have different versions of the Qur'an, although we do disagree often over Ahadith. But that is usually fast resolved it generally comes down to showing the Chains of Narration (Authenticity) and the rules for reliability.

Also we tend to keep our disagreements private between our self and the person we feel is in error.

But like I said we generally agree each person has the right to seeing things different from the way we see it. We usually don't see different views as need for debate. You may notice that even here those of us who post often, do show different views over how we see things, but we are not going to get all upset over that.

I suppose if we had some extremists as members you would see some heated debates among us. However, while the extremists make the news, they are a very small percentage of Muslims and it is not likely any will ever even post here.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM

762 posts, read 988,525 times
Quote:

One tells us that Quran has all the answers, another brags about Islamic music and art, another has pictures of a visit to Mecca, another tells about the scientific truths in the Quran, another shows how smart Muhammad was. To me, they all seem like bragging.

In my experience muslims tend to be blind to any other point of view. maybe the "bragging" is a way of confirming what they believe is valid.

I generally like a good debate, to compare and contrast is good. but it gets a bit tiresome when all you get is verses from the Quran...then I feel obliged to quote similar from the Bible and nothing is gained in the way of knowledge on either side.

Well....to be fair I have found some things out I did not know before or something has been said to spurt me on to seek further facts. Importantly I think as long as we accept that we have a different set of beliefs and that no ones is better than the others, but all have a validity in Gods eyes. Then debate I think is good.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
In my experience muslims tend to be blind to any other point of view. maybe the "bragging" is a way of confirming what they believe is valid.

I generally like a good debate, to compare and contrast is good. but it gets a bit tiresome when all you get is verses from the Quran...then I feel obliged to quote similar from the Bible and nothing is gained in the way of knowledge on either side.

Well....to be fair I have found some things out I did not know before or something has been said to spurt me on to seek further facts. Importantly I think as long as we accept that we have a different set of beliefs and that no ones is better than the others, but all have a validity in Gods eyes. Then debate I think is good.
In general terms we consider "Misleading others" as a very grave sin and that if a person sins as a result of what we say. We will receive the same or worse Punishment the person, actually doing the sin, receives.

Because of that we tend not to express our own opinion, but to post from the Qur'an, Ahadith, Tafsir etc and let the reader draw their own conclusions.

When giving our own opinion, we try to acknowledge it is our opinion and as such may be wrong and urge the listener or reader to also seek all available sources and do their best to evaluate the truth.

Some of us, especially us reverts from other faiths tend to be more prone about giving our own opinion. Just my opinion, I may be wrong. Astagfirullah (May Allah forgive me if I am in error)

Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,653,963 times
we believe and follow the final messenger from Allah who told us about the previous messengers and the previous holy books
and we believe in them , also he told us that his message is not only for his people as the previous messengers but his message is for all the worlds , the human and the jinn.

also he told us tha the previous holy books have changed by man and that make them not realy the word of Allah
and even the if the previous holy books were not changed they are replaced by the Quran .

not only we are bragging but we are also lucky.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
not only we are bragging but we are also lucky.
That's debatable...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,653,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
That's debatable...
if someone lived for 90 years and in every day in his life he was the most happy one in the world
but in the day of judgment he entered Hell.

how many years we are going to live in the Day of Resurrection? a million , a billion ..

we are going to live for ever and comparing that with years we lived in the earth it would look like as we lived less than one second.

the real lucky person is the one who Allah will rescue him from Hell and reward him Paradise.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,116,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Because of that we tend not to express our own opinion, but to post from the Qur'an, Ahadith, Tafsir etc and let the reader draw their own conclusions.
I have never read any of those books, but I suspect a person could read them and still be confused about what his god wants him to do with his life.

He would benefit if a learned person expressed his own opinion. If the learned person just quoted from the Quran or the Ahadith, it may not help much.

I think Billy Graham expressed his opinion to Christians and, in doing so, improved the lives of millions of people. If a devout Muslim was confused and needed spiritual help, wouldn't you do the same thing?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I have never read any of those books, but I suspect a person could read them and still be confused about what his god wants him to do with his life.

He would benefit if a learned person expressed his own opinion. If the learned person just quoted from the Quran or the Ahadith, it may not help much.

I think Billy Graham expressed his opinion to Christians and, in doing so, improved the lives of millions of people. If a devout Muslim was confused and needed spiritual help, wouldn't you do the same thing?
While I would give my advice to a person asking me to help them understand the Qur'an, I would also encourage them to look at the views of other people also and to read on their own.

Except Islam is a religion of personal responsibility. We are not to accept the word of another person in religious matters, unless we our self have found reason to believe such. We are very much averse to accepting any one as a "Spiritual Leader". Many of us do not believe we will have one until the Return of Jesus(as) and the coming of the Mehdi.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Exactly so..I have read the Quran and some of the Hadith's but have not found it enlightening. I thought it may well be a case of having a learned person go through it with me, but then thought if it were truly the word of God meant for all mankind, then all mankind would be able to get the message by just reading it. In some cases people do need to be helped and guided spiritually, but then it can be open to interpretation. I guess the best way is if it feels right in your heart...then it is right. For me that's where the Holy Spirit comes into the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or