U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,031,058 times

Advertisements

I have decided to take an in depth look at Islam (found posts with excellent references here) and since I don't want to offend anyone, Islam is the religion and Muslim is what a person following that faith is referred to as? Or, am I just totally offbase. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have decided to take an in depth look at Islam (found posts with excellent references here) and since I don't want to offend anyone, Islam is the religion and Muslim is what a person following that faith is referred to as? Or, am I just totally offbase. Thank you.
Islam is an Arabic verb and means "Submitting to Allah"

Muslim (Male) Muslimah(Female) is an Arabic noun and means "A person who is doing the act of Islam (Submitting to Allah)"

Sort of like run is a verb and means "to walk at a fast speed" and a runner is one that is performing the act of Run.

While our Faith is called Islam it is more of an action rather than a Name. Many wear the name Muslim, but don't do Islam.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,031,058 times
The definitions are very interesting, thank you.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Thank you.

We are pleased to have you here. I hope you look around and check out some of the threads. Islam is actually a very simple religion. Although I admit, many Muslims are quite complex.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 PM

762 posts, read 987,948 times
Quote:
Although I admit, many Muslims are quite complex.
And some are quite simple unassuming kindhearted folk...well most of the ones I know and count as friends.

Woodrow...check out the quote thingy going on..well chuffed..ah well it's the small things in life...lol.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 PM

44 posts, read 43,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You are correct. It is same as Christianity is the religion and Christian is the follower of Christianity.

If you are interested in learning about Islam, i would suggest you to not rely on internet for information about Islam or any religion for that matter. Internet will just confuse you. Look for smart educated Imam in your local area and ask him the question/concerns you have about Islam. Make sure that Imam understand your situation as well. May Allah bless you in your study of Islam.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justarslan View Post
You are correct. It is same as Christianity is the religion and Christian is the follower of Christianity.

If you are interested in learning about Islam, i would suggest you to not rely on internet for information about Islam or any religion for that matter. Internet will just confuse you. Look for smart educated Imam in your local area and ask him the question/concerns you have about Islam. Make sure that Imam understand your situation as well. May Allah bless you in your study of Islam.
You are correct Ahki. the only problem here in the USA except for 6 states a Non-Muslim is not likely to come in face to face contact with any Muslims. Much less be near a Masjid.

I notice the OP is in Kansas a fairly large state, 82,000 Sq Miles or about 2 and 1/2 times the entire country of Portugal. but it only has 6 Islamic Centers and no full time Masjids. There may be a Masjid in Witchita and one in Lawrence. There are only 3,000 Muslims in the entire state and Most live in Witchita.

Addendum:
Sadly for most people in the USA the only knowledge they have about Islam has to come from the internet. Even for many Muslims here much of our contact with other Muslims comes through the internet. My nearest Muslim neighbor is about 50 miles from me and the nearest Masjid is over 100 miles from me. there are about 8000 Muslims here in ND About 4000 are foreign Students attending college in Fargo. The other 4,000 are scattered throughout the state. I know of 6 Masjids 3 are full time. the other 3 are just in peoples homes were they reserve a room as a Masjid. The Smallest North Dakota Masjid is in Ross North Dakota and can hold about 8 people.It has no Imam generally the oldest person there will lead the prayers. The largest is in Fargo and does have an Imam and can hold about 200 people.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-05-2012 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or