U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,328,790 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's possible. The European-American Christians are very good at getting other people to fight their wars for them. That was how they conquered America.

Remember, the final scene in "Last of the Mohicans" showed the good Indian (played by the late Russell Means) killing the bad Indian.

Personally, I doubt that applies to the Middle East. The Jews have had many years of experience dealing with Christians and they would not fall for it. I think they sincerely want their own country.
Yes they do want their own country. So do the Palestinians and everybody else. It poses a problem when more than one group wants the same real-estate. However, I think it could work in Palestine/Israel if everybody else would keep out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,123,602 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yes they do want their own country. So do the Palestinians and everybody else. It poses a problem when more than one group wants the same real-estate. However, I think it could work in Palestine/Israel if everybody else would keep out.
When the European immigrants came to America, they wanted the land where the Native Americans were living.

While they were working on a solution to this problem, the other world powers left them alone. They solved it themselves.

Would you say they found a peaceful solution or did one side totally get their way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,328,790 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
When the European immigrants came to America, they wanted the land where the Native Americans were living.

While they were working on a solution to this problem, the other world powers left them alone. They solved it themselves.

Would you say they found a peaceful solution or did one side totally get their way?
A few differences.

There had not been a multi-century era of peace to guild upon.

The settlers often did come for the purpose of exploitation and did have the backing of the the nations that sent them.

It was not a homogeneous group that came into the Americas, it was virtually a conquering army from many nations.

Even the Civil war had backing from England and France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,123,602 times
Reputation: 1399
Woodrow, you and I are both old and intelligent, but I think we simply have different views of the world, probably because of what we have experienced.

My life has been pretty easy - raised upper-middle class, went to college, got a government job, have a good family, and now am retired. To me, the world is a nice place and I don't need religious beliefs. I accept the world as it is and figure it will go on the same, until a physical disaster like an asteroid hit or a super-volcano erupts.

You have seen much more of the world than I have and your experiences are more varied - Vietnam War, missionary ifn Africa, accepting Islam - so I bet you have seen things that I cannot even imagine, and you hope the world will be much better in the future.

In short, you are probably much more hopeful than I am. I think the future will be like the past, but you hope it will be better and that humans will improve their behavior.

Anyway, both of us are thankful to be alive today. I hope everyone else is too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,328,790 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Woodrow, you and I are both old and intelligent, but I think we simply have different views of the world, probably because of what we have experienced.

My life has been pretty easy - raised upper-middle class, went to college, got a government job, have a good family, and now am retired. To me, the world is a nice place and I don't need religious beliefs. I accept the world as it is and figure it will go on the same, until a physical disaster like an asteroid hit or a super-volcano erupts.

You have seen much more of the world than I have and your experiences are more varied - Vietnam War, missionary ifn Africa, accepting Islam - so I bet you have seen things that I cannot even imagine, and you hope the world will be much better in the future.

In short, you are probably much more hopeful than I am. I think the future will be like the past, but you hope it will be better and that humans will improve their behavior.

Anyway, both of us are thankful to be alive today. I hope everyone else is too.
I am thankful to have you as a friend. I believe we both are old enough to know we do not have to agree on things. Perhaps we can learn from each other because we do disagree about somethings.

I do agree fully with your last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
616 posts, read 592,398 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For over 1000 years Jews and Muslims had lived there in Peace. I think it can be done again. But I think one of the first steps is to remove all outside interference.

Yes. you are right, after the Zionists changed everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top