U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"know the real Islam."
I'm confused right there. Which is the real Islam?
In my opinion it is those of us who seek to live in Peace and to follow the 5 pillars to the best of our ability. Tue Muslims are those who avoid excesses are not aggressors and do not follow any earthly leader without first verifying the truth of what they say.

A Muslim is to not follow blindly and know that we each are individually responsible for our actions. We can not use the excuse we were misled as it is our duty to verify all things before acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,113,999 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I admit it is often difficult to discuss religion with us and we do often use quotes from the Qur'an as our source.

I think that may be because we do not want to impose our own interpretations upon others and feel that is the best way for a person to form their own.
Maybe it is because Islam discourages people from thinking for themselves and sharing their thoughts with others.

Of course, other religions are very much the same way. Like the Christian who said, "The bible said it, I believe it, and that ends it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Maybe it is because Islam discourages people from thinking for themselves and sharing their thoughts with others.

Of course, other religions are very much the same way. Like the Christian who said, "The bible said it, I believe it, and that ends it."
You may notice even with the Muslims here, we sometimes disagree over interpretations of things. There is no cookie cut pattern of learning. Muslims are very individual. hardly what you would expect from people that do not think for themselves.

It is considered to be a very serious sin to mislead people about Islam, for that reason many will not state their own interpretation of what is written in the Qur'an. Many of us prefer to let people make up their own mind about what the Qur'an says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: USA
19,717 posts, read 14,694,776 times
Reputation: 12732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In my opinion it is those of us who seek to live in Peace and to follow the 5 pillars to the best of our ability. Tue Muslims are those who avoid excesses are not aggressors and do not follow any earthly leader without first verifying the truth of what they say.

A Muslim is to not follow blindly and know that we each are individually responsible for our actions. We can not use the excuse we were misled as it is our duty to verify all things before acting.
True. And if everyone had an equivalent view of their "chosen" faiths we would all live in a much better world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
 
762 posts, read 987,539 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
if the religion was developed by the thoughts of some one i would not accept it and i will not folow it

but the religion is from the creator and that is why we refer every matter to his judgement.
O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority;
and if ye have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if ye are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day.
That is better and more seemly in the end. The Noble Quran.


But it was developed by the thoughts of someone. anything that has mans hand in its work, weather oral translation or text, will be subject to mans possible error. With the best intentions no man is perfect...except maybe for Jesus. so it's not possible to say conclusively that the Quran had no mans hand in its making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
 
762 posts, read 987,539 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You may notice even with the Muslims here, we sometimes disagree over interpretations of things. There is no cookie cut pattern of learning. Muslims are very individual. hardly what you would expect from people that do not think for themselves.

It is considered to be a very serious sin to mislead people about Islam, for that reason many will not state their own interpretation of what is written in the Qur'an. Many of us prefer to let people make up their own mind about what the Qur'an says.

I wish all muslims shared your view Woodrow. I'm sure many do, but they are often drowned out by the extreme element who may be a minority but unfortunately they make the most noise. But that's the same for many religions. It's not the religions per see but some of the individuals that practice their own version of it.

Maybe there should be more guidance for muslims, as to what is true Islam and what is not...because sometimes those who do hateful things do so believing they do it in the name of Islam. It struck me as truly sad during the recent conflicts in Syria and other such conflicts when muslims stood over dead muslims waving their guns in triumphantly whilst shouting Allah Akbar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
But it was developed by the thoughts of someone. anything that has mans hand in its work, weather oral translation or text, will be subject to mans possible error. With the best intentions no man is perfect...except maybe for Jesus. so it's not possible to say conclusively that the Quran had no mans hand in its making.
We do not consider any translation or interpretation of the Qur'an to be the Qur'an. The Qur'an has to be the original Arabic and free from any interpretation or translation.

We believe the Arabic Qur'an written in the Tajweed is the exact words of Allaah(swt) as he gave them to Muhammad(PBUH). Any interpretation or translation is man's work and subject to error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Reputation: 4888
I'm curious, what is Sufi Islam? I understand it to be widespread throughout the Muslim world but to have different traditions in different countries, and that it's influenced somewhat by the religions that were there prior to Islam. For example, what is the role of Sufiism in countries like Bangladesh and Indonesia, where I have heard it is important? Also, I read recently about Fundamentalist rebels destroying medieval shrines to Sufi saints after they captured Timbuktu. What are Sufi saints in Islam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm curious, what is Sufi Islam? I understand it to be widespread throughout the Muslim world but to have different traditions in different countries, and that it's influenced somewhat by the religions that were there prior to Islam. For example, what is the role of Sufiism in countries like Bangladesh and Indonesia, where I have heard it is important? Also, I read recently about Fundamentalist rebels destroying medieval shrines to Sufi saints after they captured Timbuktu. What are Sufi saints in Islam?
I'm glad you asked that. When I first accepted Islam it was the Sufi path I followed. I have a lot of love for the Sufi but can not follow their veneration of saints. The Sufi have pretty much concentrated on the medical and science fields. Many Muslim doctors are Sufi.

Sufism was at one time a legitimate madhab of Sunni. However when the veneration of saints came into practice it ceased following the first Pillar of faith.

Sufiism is not a denomination or sect it is the mystical element of Islam. It carries a lot of similarities to Buddhism but is not related to it. Many of the traditional writings of Islam were by Sufi most notably Rumi who is considered the greatest Islamic poet by many of us. In some ways Sufism is our Pentecostal element.

The sufi also incorporate Music into their prayers which is forbidden in Islam



Saum-Universal Sufi Prayer

The Sufi venerate many saints. I am not certain what is the exact criteria to be a Sufi saint, but they all led very pious lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
616 posts, read 591,288 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
It's very difficult to find any unbiased information when it comes to religion. But I would certainly search hard to find one, I find the best way is to discuss matters of religious differences. Which I have to say,.. and not aimed at any person here, just a general observation based on my own experiences.. .

It is not always easy to discuss religion with muslims, as they tend not to be open to any other ideas except for Islam and it usually ends up with quotes from the Quran etc.
do you woant me give quotes from torah or bible ??

Do you want to worship God by experience??

it is our book that take from it our islam

So what do you want me discussing with you ? my broblem that have no more time here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top