U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM

16,241 posts, read 9,352,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FYI there are over 120,000 Ethiopian Jews currently living in Israel. About 40,000 were born in Israel. Semetic people are not racists for the most part. Arabs/Jews have differences that follow the religious route. The honor for the majority of racism is saved for Europeans.
Israeli Eugenics: Forced Birth Control for Ethiopian Jewish Immigrants

And the Arabs are not much better. They only recognize black Muslims when it comes to claiming Islam has so and so many followers, but beyond that they have always looked down on other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have come across quite a few atheists in Islamic Nations. Although that was over 40 years ago.

I apologize for becoming defensive and thinking your intent was aggressive. A learned behavior from living as a minority.

Call it a learned behavior. I have reached the point of expecting to be attacked by non-Muslims. I have lived in red neck rural regions and to be honest on more then one occasion my life was in danger for being Muslim. In fairness, those that threatened me were not representative of the majority of people I have met. Probably no more than a handful of violent people, like can be found in any group.

My desire for people to become Muslim is the same as your desire for people to abandon religion. Because it is their own choice and they have come to that choice through free will without intimidation.
How do those rednecks even know you are Muslim?! Unless you stop on the sidewalk to pray or run around dressed like an Arab, people don't know you are Muslim
In the US the problem is that, even though nobody admits it, there seems to be the notion that there is a war between the US/West and Islam. Thus all things Islam will be viewed upon with suspicion and regarded a potential threat.

In my view one of the main problems with Muslim societies is that it is so unnatural. Teenagers want to mix and meet with the other sex. The artificial separation of the sexes makes people aggressive. Thus you have so many young Muslims taking apart entire countries.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Status: "I'm back--My silly human fell asleep" (set 21 days ago)

10,674 posts, read 4,216,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
How do those rednecks even know you are Muslim?! Unless you stop on the sidewalk to pray or run around dressed like an Arab, people don't know you are Muslim
In the US the problem is that, even though nobody admits it, there seems to be the notion that there is a war between the US/West and Islam. Thus all things Islam will be viewed upon with suspicion and regarded a potential threat.

In my view one of the main problems with Muslim societies is that it is so unnatural. Teenagers want to mix and meet with the other sex. The artificial separation of the sexes makes people aggressive. Thus you have so many young Muslims taking apart entire countries.
I attempted to build a Mosque. The local newspaper ran me through the mill and published my picture in numerous places. I was building it with my own funds, but when I checked into Zoning restrictions apparently some one in the Tax office notified the paper that a radical Muslim was going to build a Mosque. The paper asked me for an interview. the reporter was nice and polite I agreed to the interview. But the article printed, made me look like the greatest threat the world ever saw.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM

10,816 posts, read 8,916,039 times
Quote:
Israeli Eugenics: Forced Birth Control for Ethiopian Jewish Immigrants

And the Arabs are not much better. They only recognize black Muslims when it comes to claiming Islam has so and so many followers, but beyond that they have always looked down on other races.
Your racism has no place here nor the Judaism forum.

The birth control issue has to do with going from a rural culture with midwives to an urban culture that uses hospital and doctors. Has nothing do it with the color of their skin. Read the article:

Pregnancy and delivery practices and beliefs of Ethiopian immigrant women in Israel.
Article: Pregnancy and delivery practices and beliefs of Ethiopian immigrant... | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

As to Islam in Africa, maybe a short history lesson is needed:
Religion in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Jews and Muslims dislike the most is Christian Missionaries.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM

10,816 posts, read 8,916,039 times
Quote:

Even in the US it was seen mostly as a norm to have modesty rules before the 20th century in one way or another.

And since this is in a religion forum, here are a few lines from the Christian Bible:

Women Will Never Teach or Have Authority Over Men
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." (Timothy 2:11)

Even A Look Counts As Adultery
"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)

Last edited by Pruzhany; 02-04-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM

66 posts, read 28,469 times
Quote:
Islam is not an organization with central leaders or membership criteria. It is an ideology and not an agency or organization. I do not see how anything could end Islam.

Every Mosque could be destroyed, including the 2 Holy cities of Mecca and Medina, that would not end Islam. Every self proclaimed Islamic leader could be killed that would would not end Islam. We have no ordained clergy every Muslim male is considered to be clergy we have no requirements or rituals a person must pass to be called an Imam, Sheik, Scholar, Mufti etc. They are what the local community considers to be such. Some may have achieved wide acceptance, but we still consider all Muslims to be equal and no difference between any Muslims. I can lead a Mosque just as the Most renowned Mufti can. I may not have many who would attend it. But I still have the right to start and lead a Mosque if I desire to. come to think of it that is what I have done, although my wife is the only one usually present for prayers.--Before you ask my wife was Muslim long before I met her and her Islamic knowledge greatly surpasses mine. I often ask her questions I have about Islam.

Every Mosque, Qur'an, Islamic library etc could be destroyed, every Imam, Scholar, Mufti etc could be killed and Islam would still exist. Muslims will still believe in and do their best to follow Allaah(swt).

We do not even have any required reading. although we believe every Muslim will have a desire to read the Qur'an. Islam is not a membership and there is no criteria to be a Muslim except to Sincerely believe "There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah" there is no form of centralized training, no seminary a person must attend to lead the prayers, it is all an individual relationship with Allaah(swt)

About all you can identify as Islam is it is every person who sincerely believes : "There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah" I suppose you could end Islam by killing every person who believes that.
This one of the most wonderful words I read about I slam.

Quote:
I attempted to build a Mosque. The local newspaper ran me through the mill and published my picture in numerous places. I was building it with my own funds, but when I checked into Zoning restrictions apparently some one in the Tax office notified the paper that a radical Muslim was going to build a Mosque. The paper asked me for an interview. the reporter was nice and polite I agreed to the interview. But the article printed, made me look like the greatest threat the world ever saw.
Could you post the links of this interview, if you can reach them, and this doesn't threat your safety.

Quote:
my wife is the only one usually present for prayers.--Before you ask my wife was Muslim long before I met her and her Islamic knowledge greatly surpasses mine. I often ask her questions I have about Islam
Sorry, but I had that feeling as well. Since I left Islam I've thought that there is a problem of any kind to any one who converts to Islam, either mentally or psychologically or evern socially, I used to tell my wife this. I changed my mind now, and yesterday I told her your story. and now, I quit this thinking, it appears that there are a lot of great and wise people who convert to Islam, but to be honest with you, I think it's not the same version of Islam that we have here in the ME.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Status: "I'm back--My silly human fell asleep" (set 21 days ago)

10,674 posts, read 4,216,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global View Post
This one of the most wonderful words I read about I slam.

Could you post the links of this interview, if you can reach them, and this doesn't threat your safety.

Sorry, but I had that feeling as well. Since I left Islam I've thought that there is a problem of any kind to any one who converts to Islam, either mentally or psychologically or evern socially, I used to tell my wife this. I changed my mind now, and yesterday I told her your story. and now, I quit this thinking, it appears that there are a lot of great and wise people who convert to Islam, but to be honest with you, I think it's not the same version of Islam that we have here in the ME.

One needs to remember Islam is always between the individual and Allaah(swt). However, governments sometimes think they are above Allaah(swt) and they establish a Sharia that is not in accordance with any of the 4 Madhabs. But then again we will not have true sharia until there is a true Caliphate under the Jurisdiction of a Caliph that is ordained by Allaah. Most, possibly all of us who follow the Hanafi Madhab do not believe that will happen until the coming of the Mehdi and the return of Eesa(as).

Islam is the same world wide, but national governments are not. There is much turmoil in the world that keeps trying to divide the Ummah. In the ME for the most part the governments are puppets for the Major oil corporations. The wealth of oil that could have been a blessing for the Ummah is turning into a curse for the ME nations. For the most part the ruling governments that should have been the guardians of the wealth have become the thieves that steal it from the people. The governments are also aware that because of the easy oil wealth no alternative means of national support have developed and when the oil is gone the nations will be without income. Most of the ME leaders are very much aware that over half of the oil is already gone and the remaining oil will be gone in the life time of most people living today. The nations are overcrowded, and very soon they will be without income. It does seem the corrupted governments are preparing to fully control the people, before before the realization hits that in spite of great wealth the nations are on the edge of poverty. Sadly the Governments are trying to use Islam as a means to serve their own interests and not serve Allaah(swt)

Secondly you do have well intentioned but misguided people who see the inevitable collapse, but believe it is because the people have become lax in following Islam and are trying to replace the governments with an unreasonable interpretation of Islam. They seem to forget that the Prophet(saws) stressed moderation in all things and the we should not make the haram halal nor make the halal haram.

I see those (Wahhabi and Salafi) that are now calling what is sunnah as being fiqh and what is Mahkroof as being haram. they are trying to reduce the levels of responsibility to a world without choices and all things being either Fiqh or Haram.

There are still very many truly pious people in the ME but the loudest ones are those who are imposing unneeded burdens upon people. They seem to forget that Islam is supposed to be easy to follow.

In regards to your other question, rather than make public some bad memories, I'm preparing a private message for you. check your Direct Messages in a few minutes.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Your racism has no place here nor the Judaism forum.

The birth control issue has to do with going from a rural culture with midwives to an urban culture that uses hospital and doctors. Has nothing do it with the color of their skin. Read the article:

Pregnancy and delivery practices and beliefs of Ethiopian immigrant women in Israel.
Article: Pregnancy and delivery practices and beliefs of Ethiopian immigrant... | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

As to Islam in Africa, maybe a short history lesson is needed:
Religion in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Jews and Muslims dislike the most is Christian Missionaries.
Me racist? It's not me trying to keep a minority from reproducing... Offense might be the best defense, but when it is too obvious, it is simply ridiculous...

I don't see what keeping Ethiopian jews from reproducing (against their will or knowledge) has to do with pregnancy and delivery practices in Ethiopia. Ethiopians are clever people, who can adopt to new surroundings, else they would not go to Israel in the first place. They know it is not Ethiopia.

So, what is your religion in Africa link supposed to tell me that I did not already know?

I dislike any missionaries, be it christians or muslims. Those are two religions that are more like companies trying to increase their market shares by means of marketing tricks. I like what the Dalai Lama said in view of the boom of Buddhism in the West. He said he would prefer it if Westerners would not become Buddhists, but evolve on their own Western path

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Even in the US it was seen mostly as a norm to have modesty rules before the 20th century in one way or another.

And since this is in a religion forum, here are a few lines from the Christian Bible:

Women Will Never Teach or Have Authority Over Men
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." (Timothy 2:11)

Even A Look Counts As Adultery
"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)

Great, sexism sponsored by religions. Glad the West has at least abandoned outdated aspects of those religions, hopefully they will do away with the rest as well one day

Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
When you talked to those people like you write here, like Allah this, Allah that, you need not be surprised if people don't trust you and if you eventually end up on the CIA watch list, especially since you seem to be in favor of Sharia law if I interpreted another post of yours right. If you are a convert and don't look Middle-Eastern, people are even more suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam