U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

This is a question asked very often. Currently the big emphasis seems to be "Why don't Muslims protest against the injustices done by the Shi'ite leasders in Iran??"

Our answer is why did so many non-Muslims side with Iran when the Sunni trie to over throw the Shi'ite government.

Many Muslims have protested the Iranian Government and were beat down by the very people who complain Muslims do not protest against the Iranian Government.

To me it appears that the most corrupt of the governments are those most protected by those who complain we do not protest the evils of the corrupt governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 AM
 
762 posts, read 988,120 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Our answer is why did so many non-Muslims side with Iran when the Sunni trie to over throw the Shi'ite government.
But two wrongs do not make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
But two wrongs do not make a right.
True

So why are the Christians doing all the complaining over Iran? The USA put in the government they wanted after disposing of the shah and even blocked the Sunni insurgents when they tried to remove the Shi'ite government. Now they complain because the Shi'ite government is violent towards Christians.

Sadly after getting rid of Saddam the US put in a Shi'ite government in control of Iraq. Which means it is just a matter of time before Iraq becomes a Territory or Iran.

Muslims protested against the Shi'ite for their violence since day one, but no one listens. But when the violence starts they ask why don't the Sunni protest about the Shi'ite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM
 
762 posts, read 988,120 times
Reputation: 221
Are "Christians" doing all the complaining? many muslims seem to believe that western governments..not muslim therefore have to be Christian..however seeing as western governments are secular in nature I don't see that invading the country of another or other political shenanigans have any basis in religion.

To be a Christian means one should live their life according to the example set by Jesus Christ, at least that's my take on it. Jesus never taught that violence was an answer to anything. Maybe if all "Christians" lived a life in this manner I'm guessing we would be doormats for anyone who fancied taking a pop, with loving our enemies and turning the other cheek etc.

In today's world that may be an impossible ask, but still I think it is beholden on us to try in everyway we can. Governments I feel will always consider themselves above such constraints. Such is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Are "Christians" doing all the complaining? many muslims seem to believe that western governments..not muslim therefore have to be Christian..however seeing as western governments are secular in nature I don't see that invading the country of another or other political shenanigans have any basis in religion.

To be a Christian means one should live their life according to the example set by Jesus Christ, at least that's my take on it. Jesus never taught that violence was an answer to anything. Maybe if all "Christians" lived a life in this manner I'm guessing we would be doormats for anyone who fancied taking a pop, with loving our enemies and turning the other cheek etc.

In today's world that may be an impossible ask, but still I think it is beholden on us to try in everyway we can. Governments I feel will always consider themselves above such constraints. Such is life.
I will begin by saying very many who call themselves Christian probably are not. Except in the sense of having membership in some religious organization.

I am making an error in labeling Western Governments and any Anti-Muslim organization as being Christian. I find that looking from a Muslim view it often seems to be the case. Although it may not always be such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,195 posts, read 2,646,753 times
Reputation: 2231
Are most Iranians Shi'ite? If so, then why? Do the Iranians like their government being Shi'ite based even if they are shi'ite

Also, this may be a sidetrack, but what about Baha'i people in Iran? Are they organized with the Shi'ites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Are most Iranians Shi'ite? If so, then why? Do the Iranians like their government being Shi'ite based even if they are shi'ite

Also, this may be a sidetrack, but what about Baha'i people in Iran? Are they organized with the Shi'ites?
The Iranians are essentially 100% Shi'ite. However there are 2 main sects. The 12ers which the Government is and the Ismaili which are very liberal. I doubt if the Ismaili like the current government.

It is a bit complex as the shi'ite do believe the ayatollah speaks directly for Allah and the Ayatollah's fatwas are commandments that must be obeyed. The ayatollah Kameni is a 12er.

We do have a few Ismaili members that post here, perhaps some will see this thread and respond.

The Baha'i like the Yazidi and Sikhs are not Muslim although they do consider the Qur'an to be Holy, but they do not adhere to the Muslim pillars of Faith nor share the same core beliefs. the 12ers seem to consider the Baha'i to be Christians and often persecute them.

In the region there are several religions that are various combined mixtures of Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism. Quite often they get called Muslims by the news media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
939 posts, read 1,262,183 times
Reputation: 760
IMO this is a problem with Judaism too, and I wonder if it's because both Judaism and Islam view coreligionists as "brothers" i.e. family, and that the community of believers is a nation. There are tons of terrible things that go on in the Orthodox Jewish world in both Israel and abroad but you never hear a peep about them from secular and less-religious (Reform and Conservative) Jews because it's akin to airing dirty laundry to the rest of the world. You basically have to follow the Jewish press to hear about them. Note however that the "terrible things" that go on in the Jewish community are not at the same magnitude of horribleness as what one sees in Islamic countries. But still, you don't really hear about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
IMO this is a problem with Judaism too, and I wonder if it's because both Judaism and Islam view coreligionists as "brothers" i.e. family, and that the community of believers is a nation. There are tons of terrible things that go on in the Orthodox Jewish world in both Israel and abroad but you never hear a peep about them from secular and less-religious (Reform and Conservative) Jews because it's akin to airing dirty laundry to the rest of the world. You basically have to follow the Jewish press to hear about them. Note however that the "terrible things" that go on in the Jewish community are not at the same magnitude of horribleness as what one sees in Islamic countries. But still, you don't really hear about them.
I think one major difference is the numbers. There is only one Jewish Nation (Israel) with a total Jewish population of 6,000,000. The total world population of Jews is 13,500,000
There are 49 Muslim Nations the largest Indonesia has a Muslim population of 203,000,000 (About 8 times the total world population of Jews) the world population of Muslims is 2,100,000,000

The total world population of Jews is approximately 1% the world population of Muslims.

If as much as 1% of the world's Muslims were terrorists, that would be just about equal to the entire Jewish population.

In other words if even 100% of the world's Jews were terrorists the numbers would still be too small to garner the same attention that a small percentage of Muslims would.

There are not enough Jews to be noticed to the same level we Muslims are noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
IMO this is a problem with Judaism too, and I wonder if it's because both Judaism and Islam view coreligionists as "brothers" i.e. family, and that the community of believers is a nation. There are tons of terrible things that go on in the Orthodox Jewish world in both Israel and abroad but you never hear a peep about them from secular and less-religious (Reform and Conservative) Jews because it's akin to airing dirty laundry to the rest of the world. You basically have to follow the Jewish press to hear about them. Note however that the "terrible things" that go on in the Jewish community are not at the same magnitude of horribleness as what one sees in Islamic countries. But still, you don't really hear about them.
That was a very good post, Usuario.

Of course, since I am nether A Jew or a Muslim, I have no idea if your explanation is valid, but you presented your idea very clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top