U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,390,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
You obviously never heard of GI Joe.
My Barbie's never hung out with Ken. But anytime we could catch a ride in GI Joe's jeep, we were there.

And just to stay OT, I think the Muslim Barbie is quite attractive. I would think it would be a great hit among muslim girls. I'm thinking that Amish Barbie would also be a big seller.

Last edited by weatherologist; 10-28-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: staying ot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,813,517 times
Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
You obviously never heard of GI Joe.
Hey I had the baddest of the bad, I had Doctor Steel. He is bad because he's bald, has a dragon tattooed on his chest and has a right fist made of steel.

Then again, I'm not a Muslim.
The Muslim kids in the war-torn countries will probably see real guns and war-victims before they'll ever get their hands on a G.I.-Joe.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM

3,540 posts, read 6,084,801 times
the taliban might think she is too provocative and prefer a burka.
the amish don't even have pictures on the walls of the homes. they may have a problem with barbie dolls. but there again those amish kids are pretty wild before they profess allegiance to the community.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,003,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
the taliban might think she is too provocative and prefer a burka.
the amish don't even have pictures on the walls of the homes. they may have a problem with barbie dolls. but there again those amish kids are pretty wild before they profess allegiance to the community.
You bring up a good point about the burka. Should the dolls our little girls play with be model more positive attributes (such as Doctor Barbie, Air Force Barbie, Firefighter Barbie, etc.) to show girls they can grow up to be anything or are the dolls they have out now just glorifying all the things all religions don't want our little girls growing up to do (provactive clothing, pregnant Barbie (yup they have one with a belly that pops open to deliver then you snap on the postpartum belly), etc.). Is this just another way that society is bringing adult themes to our kids at too young an age. I think this mom was innovative in creating a doll that is more like what she wants her kid to be instead of just giving in and getting her the one everyone else has. Just a thought.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,084,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
You bring up a good point about the burka. Should the dolls our little girls play with be model more positive attributes (such as Doctor Barbie, Air Force Barbie, Firefighter Barbie, etc.) to show girls they can grow up to be anything or are the dolls they have out now just glorifying all the things all religions don't want our little girls growing up to do (provactive clothing, pregnant Barbie (yup they have one with a belly that pops open to deliver then you snap on the postpartum belly), etc.). Is this just another way that society is bringing adult themes to our kids at too young an age. I think this mom was innovative in creating a doll that is more like what she wants her kid to be instead of just giving in and getting her the one everyone else has. Just a thought.
Maybe Moms of all types could order Barbies;

Right wing skinhead Barbie
Left wing pinko Barbie
Peace momma cannibis Barbie
Valium popping soccer Mom Barbie
Big hair TV evangalist Barbie
plain jane quaker Barbie

we could have fun with this

Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,088,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
How about Mary Magdalene Barbie?
If you're talking about MM's vocation prior to her encounter with Christ....

Well . . . ummm . . . I do believe that's how Barbie usually dresses!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:17 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,003,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
If you're talking about MM's vocation prior to her encounter with Christ....

Well . . . ummm . . . I do believe that's how Barbie usually dresses!
ROFL!!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM

899 posts, read 1,712,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Disney doesn't have to come out with more conservative Barbies. I don't like Disney in general and abstain from buying their merchandise or visiting their parks. I honestly don't see much value in any of their things. Kids love their movies and some of them have good messages, but I'd rather not contribute to their corporate dynasty. Conservative Christians, Jews, etc. need to demand what they want from companies like Disney.
The company that makes Barbie dolls is Mattel.

Last edited by northsider; 10-28-2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-28-2007, 09:15 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,230,775 times
This was a great idea, all the Barbies I've seen lately look like prostitutes

Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,177,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
The company that makes Barbie dolls is Mattel.

Silly me! You're right. Well down on them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam