Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
You bring up a good point about the burka. Should the dolls our little girls play with be model more positive attributes (such as Doctor Barbie, Air Force Barbie, Firefighter Barbie, etc.) to show girls they can grow up to be anything or are the dolls they have out now just glorifying all the things all religions don't want our little girls growing up to do (provactive clothing, pregnant Barbie (yup they have one with a belly that pops open to deliver then you snap on the postpartum belly), etc.). Is this just another way that society is bringing adult themes to our kids at too young an age. I think this mom was innovative in creating a doll that is more like what she wants her kid to be instead of just giving in and getting her the one everyone else has. Just a thought.
Last year were coming home form Charlston S.C. and stopped at a flea market. My dh bought the oldest granddaughter a barbie for a quarter. When we started up the road she squealed with delight, look grand ma!!! Barbie is having a baby!! I turned around and saw this baby being pulled out of barbies stomach my teeth nearly fell out. So to soon we had the birds and bees
talk, and the Barbie went out the window when no one was looking.
I agree with irish this idea is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I was actually thinking not only does Barbie look trashy....but why don't they come out with a more conservative one for Christians, Amish, Jewish or whatever....it's an interesting concept.

Barbie looks like a Mormon housewife compared to those Bratz dolls.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Barbie looks like a Mormon housewife compared to those Bratz dolls.
agreed! I asked the store clerk why shopping with my daughters (and much to my wifes embarrement) when the new Barbies were coming out? the store clerk ask.."which one?" In which I replied. "prostitute Barbie, Drag queen Barbie, pole-dancer Barbie?" he had no answer Apparently even dolls influence our culture.

Last edited by arguy1973; 10-29-2007 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Cool Barbies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
agreed! I asked the store clerk why shopping with my daughters (and much to my wifes embarrement) went the new Barbies were coming out? the store clerk ask.."which one?" In which I replied. "prostitute Barbie, Drag queen Barbie, pole-dancer Barbie?" he had no answer Apparently even dolls influence our culture.
LOL, arguy, you are too much!

Since kaykay here is older than dirt, I was 4 years old when the first Barbie came out. She was wearing a black and white striped swimsuit. I found her immediately and wanted her. My mother said "no" because her clothes cost too much!

When my grandmother came down to visit, however, she gave me $3.00 to spend on any toy I wanted. I ran and got Barbie! Somehow we managed to pay for her "wardrobe" after that.

I know that a lot of people think Barbie (even in her original form) is a little unwholesome somehow. I survived her but I am a little bit of a "clotheshorse!"... and a "pursehead" like irish! You think there's any connection?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
What's everyone's main problem/objection towards a barbie doll?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
What's everyone's main problem/objection towards a barbie doll?
Personally, I don't think that the image they project of beauty, success and happiness are healthy for young girls. They are about the worship of materialism and consumerism and the measurement of success through shallow, external appearances.

There's now a Barbie credit card machine that you can get where your girls can "buy" wardrobe items on credit. When the card runs out, it just renews itself and no one ever has to pay a bill. miller03 (broken link)

And don't forget the Barbie that said "Math is hard". That's a really dumb thing to have a doll tell impressionable girls.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Wink Yep...math is hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Personally, I don't think that the image they project of beauty, success and happiness are healthy for young girls. They are about the worship of materialism and consumerism and the measurement of success through shallow, external appearances.

There's now a Barbie credit card machine that you can get where your girls can "buy" wardrobe items on credit. When the card runs out, it just renews itself and no one ever has to pay a bill. miller03 (broken link)

And don't forget the Barbie that said "Math is hard". That's a really dumb thing to have a doll tell impressionable girls.
Math IS hard... but maybe I just think so from too much playing with Barbie dolls!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by OakbackBoys do not play with dolls, especially Muslim boys.
Maybe we should blame Ken for many boys choosing to be homosexual?
Can we sue the manufacturers of the Ken-doll?
Uhh, just so you know, gay people don't choose to be homosexual. Perhaps you should do some scientific research into homosexuality before making such and uneducated comment.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Isaysos
Quote:
Uhh, just so you know, gay people don't choose to be homosexual. Perhaps you should do some scientific research into homosexuality before making such and uneducated comment.
If you read all my other posts you might conclude that I was merely being sarcastic.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
agreed! I asked the store clerk why shopping with my daughters (and much to my wifes embarrement) when the new Barbies were coming out? the store clerk ask.."which one?" In which I replied. "prostitute Barbie, Drag queen Barbie, pole-dancer Barbie?" he had no answer Apparently even dolls influence our culture.
I can only imagine, what it would be like...going shopping with Arguy by my side!

I think I would have RAN for the nearest exit!

You're too funny. I'll bet you keep your wife on her toes at ALL times!

Tried to rep ya, but you know the drill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam