U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,561,402 times

Advertisements

How come most Muslims men do not cover themselves up like the women does? Everytime I see Muslims on the streets the women cover herself completely, while the men wear shorts and sandals in the extreme heat. Even in Islamic nations like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan women wear black burqas, while men usually wear white clothing.

Why is it like that? Thanks for respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
How come most Muslims men do not cover themselves up like the women does? Everytime I see Muslims on the streets the women cover herself completely, while the men wear shorts and sandals in the extreme heat. Even in Islamic nations like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan women wear black burqas, while men usually wear white clothing.

Why is it like that? Thanks for respond.
For the answer you have to look at National Culture.

In Islam men are supposed to dress just as modestly as the women do. Some people interpret Islam in accordance with National culture.

The Black Burqa for women is traditional Arab clothing that probably predates Islam in Arabia. I have seen Arab Women of several faiths wear it such as Yazidi in Iraq and even some Arab Christian women wear it in various countries even here in the US by Arab Christians. The original habit of Catholic nuns was almost identical to a black Burqa. I have even seen Arab Jewish women in Morocco wear black burqas. Seeing a woman in a black burqa is not a 100% guarantee she is Muslim, just as seeing a woman in Western style clothing is not a 100% guarantee she is not Muslim.

I have never seen it worn in Pakistan as in Pakistan the clothing seems to be more often traditional Indian as many Pakistanis are Punjabi. Bangla or Pashtun Every Pakastani woman I have seen wore a Salawar Kameez.

This is like what I have seen in Pakistan. (Some of my Grand Children live in Pakistan)

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
.......even some Arab Christian women wear it in various countries even here in the US by Arab Christians.

Now that I did not know. Very interesting. (I appreciate your posting things like this. I learn a lot.)

Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Now that I did not know. Very interesting. (I appreciate your posting things like this. I learn a lot.)
I should have said "Some Arab Christian women" I generalized too much many do not wear it

I've been looking for some pictures of Arab Christian women wearing the Full burqa, I've seen them but right now only found them without the Niqaab (face veil)

The one in lower left corner is wearing a black one without the niqab. The other two are wearing colorful Hijabs which is more common.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
The original habit of Catholic nuns was almost identical to a black Burqa.

Yes, it looks very similar. It was the style of peasant women's clothing in Europe of medieval times. If you look at paintings from that time, they ALL covered their hair. (Or look at the queens on a deck of cards!) Having taken a vow of poverty, nuns wore the common clothing of poor women. This came into play in recent years when nuns began to shed the traditional habit and wear street clothing. One of their claims for doing so was the historical reasons given above--they felt they should dress like ordinary people, which is where the traditional habit came from in the first place.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-29-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I should have said "Some Arab Christian women" I generalized too much many do not wear it

No problem. I didn't know that any Arab Christian women wear it. For some reason I thought it was only worn by Muslim women.

One more question: I've seen burqas worn here in the U.S. and they were always black. Is there a reason for that? Does the color mean anything?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,561,402 times
Christian women do not wear niqab or burqa. Some wear similar clothing without face covering, but that is very rare.
Some Christian women in the middle east cover their hair because they are forced to, or so people assume they are Muslims.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No problem. I didn't know that any Arab Christian women wear it. For some reason I thought it was only worn by Muslim women.

One more question: I've seen burqas worn here in the U.S. and they were always black. Is there a reason for that? Does the color mean anything?
There is no real significance about the color. Black seems to be traditional for those on the Arabian Peninsula. Which includes Saudi, the UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Yemen Bahrain and Qatar.

Most Muslim woman wear whatever is traditional for their nation. Pakistan, India and Bangladesh are very similar and reflect the common Indian heritage. While in Indonesia, China, Malaysia the style is very colorful and reflects Chinese influence.

The niqaab(face Veil) is worn by very few Muslim woman these days

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Christian women do not wear niqab or burqa. Some wear similar clothing without face covering, but that is very rare.
Some Christian women in the middle east cover their hair because they are forced to, or so people assume they are Muslims.
You will often find it worn among Arab Christian, sometimes among the Thomason Christians in India, Among the Christian in Latvia and Estonia, to some extent in Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and the older sections of Spain, Portugal and Italy. Also among Jewish and Christion women of Ethiopia.

I saw it worn quite a bit in Mexico in a few areas such as Guadalajara and in Hidalgo State as recently as 1995 when I was living there.

It was much more common among Christian women up until the 1960s.

You will still see scenes like this among the Catholics in Latvia especially when dressing for Church or during Easter

Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Catholic and Greek Orthodox women, world wide, are required to cover their heads when entering a Church.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or