Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong30 View Post
Really?? All of the 9/11 hijackers use to visit Mosques, Tsarnaev brothers went to the Mosque etc
The truth is many Mainstream Muslims are too afraid to dob on their fellow Muslims out of fear

Middlesbrough Muslim facing jail for slashing friend who sympathised with tragic soldier Lee Rigby (From The Northern Echo)

Here's more

EDL - Group of Australian Muslims claim that British soldier Lee Rigby deserved to die - YouTube

I like how he uses the word ''WE''
We do tend to use we a lot. Even knowing we can only speak for our self.

From what I recall about the Tsarnev brothrers is they were not very religious, but the older brother visited their homeland and became active in a radical Mosque. The link about the Middlebrough Muslim kind of emphasises what I said about the Radicals not playing well with other Muslims.

Is there any indication those 2 are mainstream Muslims? I kind of doubt they would be found in any Mosque where the Imam condemns violence during the Friday Khitub. At the same time I am not too certain if they personally advocate violence. they seem to be saying Rigby deserved to die, but they do not indicate they themselves would have killed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong30 View Post
Really?? All of the 9/11 hijackers use to visit Mosques, Tsarnaev brothers went to the Mosque etc
The truth is many Mainstream Muslims are too afraid to dob on their fellow Muslims out of fear

Middlesbrough Muslim facing jail for slashing friend who sympathised with tragic soldier Lee Rigby (From The Northern Echo)

Here's more

EDL - Group of Australian Muslims claim that British soldier Lee Rigby deserved to die - YouTube

I like how he uses the word ''WE''
I felt bad for that British soldier. I think those two black dudes were stupid.

But with respect to these young Muslim men in the video, aside from them calling that deceased British soldier a dog, I don't find anything theologically wrong with what he has said.

The "we" is the Holy Ummah.

And their is youth, vigor, testosterone in the Ummah. When you have youth, testosterone, and loyalty you'll have young men raising their chest for what b to them. Islam belongs to them. They feel a sense of loyalty to all Muslim men and women all over the earth.

They say "we" and it kind of hints at Allah being real and working in Islam.

If the Ummah is holy, if the Ummah theologiocally is what it claims to be, then he is right, no nation-state can trump the Ummah, and he is right the God of mankind, known as Allah to them, trumps all. Including Obama.

The Ummah is similar to the Catholic conception of "Church." Except few Catholics today know what the Catholic conception of "Church" is. And Catholicism is more or less ruled by women and gay men now... and its a religion mainly of old people. It lacks the youth and testosterone of an Islam.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I really do want to understand this and I really DO want the violence to stop.
We humans fight because it is part of our nature. The reason you and I are alive is because our ancestors were able to overpower the humans that were weaker. The violence between humans will not stop until our species is extinct.

I can understand why many people hate America. We support dictators like the Shah or Iran, Hosni Mubarak, Hafaz Assad, and the Saud family, because those leaders help us get what we want. However, many people in those countries do not like these dictators, and that makes them hate us.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:41 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
I want people of all religions to know that there are extremes in all religions. I have witnessed it recently and sadly in my own Catholicism. A very good friend of mine married a lovely woman who was Protestant. I adored her. Such a great, fun-loving, peaceful spirit. Because she was from England, she basically adopted her husband's friends as her own. We were happy to have her. This went on for about 15 years until, under her own steam and something she rightly or wrongly attributed to being a "miracle" led her to convert to Catholicism.

Look, I was happy for her if this is what she wanted. So was her husband. He, however, kept saying to her that this had to be her OWN choice. He did not want her to feel pressured. I was the same way. To be a true practicing Catholic in this world is not always the easiest thing. Also, I am not one that feels called to converting others to my faith. As I've written above, I'm kind of a "accept all" kind of gal and as long as you're happy in your life, I'm happy with you.

As she neared the completion of her studies, however, (it takes quite a while to convert to Catholicism - our priests and teachers really want to make SURE you know what you're doing and are doing it freely of your own choice) a change started to take place. And not a good one. She was "out-Catholicing" us. She was preaching at us all fire and brimstone. She was, in short, becoming a Charismatic Catholic and quite frankly, they scare the bejeezus out of me. All the "Holy Spirit told me where to find a parking spot" and other irrational things too numerous to mention.

Although they lived quite a distance away from me, I drove to the church where her conversion was being conducted and I laced into the priest in charge (but not the teacher of) the program. I wanted him to tell me what the heck was going on in his parish that was turning her so extreme. We had words, but you know what? I had 12 years being educated by nuns - a mere priest holds no fear for me. I was getting no where with him, so I ended up writing a letter to the Bishop to inform him of what was going on.

I don't like extremes of ANYTHING - be it the weather or religion. It can cause tremendous damage. The people in charge of teaching converts to ANY religion need to be CAREFULLY vetted and I don't think that happens as frequently as it should in any of our religions.

Anyway, I didn't want to bore you folks - I just wanted to let you know that I'm aware of "false teachers" among all our religions - and it is up to EACH of us - in our own respective religions - to be on guard against them and report them to the proper authorities. Someone's soul is at risk. That is of the utmost importance. It is, in fact, of the GREATEST importance.

Peace to all.
That is something we can agree on.

The problem is in Islam we have no "proper authorities" to report to. There is no "Ordained Clergy" nor any form of central religious leadership. We have no qulification criteria for any clergy. As we have no actual clergy. No religious authority over any of us.

NOTE: That applies only to Sunni

The 12er sect of Sh'ite consider the Ayatollah to be the supreme leader.

The Royal Family of Saudi seem to be under the impression they are the Religious leaders of Sunni Muslims. Which may be why they think they can establish their own version of shariah law.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Apologies if this was already posted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-safety.html

A Somali Muslim has been hailed a hero after rescuing a mother and her three daughters from the Nairobi shopping mall as gunmen threw grenades and sprayed bullets yards away.
Katherine Walton feared she and her children would not get out alive after becoming trapped under a table outside a supermarket in the Westgate complex.
But they were saved by Abdul Haji, the son of a former Kenyan security minister, who bravely ushered them to safety as he fired back at the terrorists with a handgun.
His identity has now been revealed after his story was immortalised in an iconic photograph which shows him reaching out to Mrs Walton's four-year-old daughter Portia as she runs away with fear etched on her face.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That is something we can agree on.

The problem is in Islam we have no "proper authorities" to report to. There is no "Ordained Clergy" nor any form of central religious leadership. We have no qulification criteria for any clergy. As we have no actual clergy. No religious authority over any of us.

NOTE: That applies only to Sunni

The 12er sect of Sh'ite consider the Ayatollah to be the supreme leader.

The Royal Family of Saudi seem to be under the impression they are the Religious leaders of Sunni Muslims. Which may be why they think they can establish their own version of shariah law.
You see, that is why this thread IS proving useful - at least to me. I NEVER knew that Woodrow. I just assumed that like any sort of organization that there would be some sort of hierarchy in place. That certainly explains a great deal.

I now also understand FAR clearer your explanation of the practice of some form of "Sharia" under the Saudi Royal Family. So they basically put themselves as the head of that branch of Islam?! Wow. I mean, even in England where the Queen is the Head of the Church of England, it is more a figurehead position since there are bishops and whatnot that are actually in charge of the spiritual well-being of their church members. Very, very interesting insight. I thank you.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I felt bad for that British soldier. I think those two black dudes were stupid.

The Ummah is similar to the Catholic conception of "Church." Except few Catholics today know what the Catholic conception of "Church" is. And Catholicism is more or less ruled by women and gay men now... and its a religion mainly of old people. It lacks the youth and testosterone of an Islam.
Um, I don't really want to go off topic since this thread is supposed to be about Muslims in the News but I need to address the part of your post highlighted.

My first reaction is "Are You Kidding Me?!!?!". Women have been FIGHTING to have a voice in the Catholic Church since about the 1100's. Do you have ANY idea how many women left the nunhood because they felt that their sacrifices and talents were not being recognized but rather downplayed? There is an ENTIRE generation of Catholics that feel like me - that it was these holy women and the dedication to their vows - one of them being education - that inspired me to REMAIN within the Church. I am hoping Pope Francis officially recognizes what these women have done. You need only look at Mother Teresa for inspiration.

No, women do not have a very large role in the Church at all. And that is OUR weakness. We'll work it out though. As for "gay men" are you alluding to the men of the Church who committed vile and unforgivable acts on the boys under their charge - OR - are you referring to the Homosexual community as a whole?

If it is the latter, I think you will find that they have been complaining for DECADES that they have been excluded and condemned by the Catholic Church. So unless their sexual preferences remain hidden, there is no place for them within the Church. And that is wrong too. Again, I am all about inclusion and not judging others. I leave that to a FAR great power than me - The Almighty Father. Only He can see what is in a person's heart.

I also don't find our Church lacking young people. You need only watch the news of the Youth Rallies for Catholicism in any of the cities where they have gathered. We are alive and strong within our young too - and especially if Pope Francis goes ahead and leads us into the next generation of the Roman Catholic Church. God Willing.

And now, back to our normal thread topic.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Apologies if this was already posted.

Kenya mall attack: American mother reveals how selfless Muslim civilian helped usher her daughters to safety | Mail Online

A Somali Muslim has been hailed a hero after rescuing a mother and her three daughters from the Nairobi shopping mall as gunmen threw grenades and sprayed bullets yards away.
Katherine Walton feared she and her children would not get out alive after becoming trapped under a table outside a supermarket in the Westgate complex.
But they were saved by Abdul Haji, the son of a former Kenyan security minister, who bravely ushered them to safety as he fired back at the terrorists with a handgun.
His identity has now been revealed after his story was immortalised in an iconic photograph which shows him reaching out to Mrs Walton's four-year-old daughter Portia as she runs away with fear etched on her face.
Yes, I have been following that story, Manderly, and a few other similar ones. Isn't it inspiring to find heroes among us? People who put their own lives in jeopardy to risk protecting a child unknown to them. It makes my heart swell with pride. This man should be celebrated and receive a medal for what he did. He is an absolute inspiration to ALL members of the human race.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Quote:
Um, I don't really want to go off topic since this thread is supposed to be about Muslims in the News but I need to address the part of your post highlighted.

My first reaction is "Are You Kidding Me?!!?!". Women have been FIGHTING to have a voice in the Catholic Church since about the 1100's. Do you have ANY idea how many women left the nunhood because they felt that their sacrifices and talents were not being recognized but rather downplayed? There is an ENTIRE generation of Catholics that feel like me - that it was these holy women and the dedication to their vows - one of them being education - that inspired me to REMAIN within the Church. I am hoping Pope Francis officially recognizes what these women have done. You need only look at Mother Teresa for inspiration.

No, women do not have a very large role in the Church at all. And that is OUR weakness. We'll work it out though. As for "gay men" are you alluding to the men of the Church who committed vile and unforgivable acts on the boys under their charge - OR - are you referring to the Homosexual community as a whole?

If it is the latter, I think you will find that they have been complaining for DECADES that they have been excluded and condemned by the Catholic Church. So unless their sexual preferences remain hidden, there is no place for them within the Church. And that is wrong too. Again, I am all about inclusion and not judging others. I leave that to a FAR great power than me - The Almighty Father. Only He can see what is in a person's heart.

I also don't find our Church lacking young people. You need only watch the news of the Youth Rallies for Catholicism in any of the cities where they have gathered. We are alive and strong within our young too - and especially if Pope Francis goes ahead and leads us into the next generation of the Roman Catholic Church. God Willing.

And now, back to our normal thread topic.
Your rant is taking this off topic, so, I'll address this by making it a new thread off the Muslim board.

But I will say this--as it has to do with Islam--the manliness of the mosque is nothing like the womanish domination of the Catholic Mass.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Your rant is taking this off topic, so, I'll address this by making it a new thread off the Muslim board.

But I will say this--as it has to do with Islam--the manliness of the mosque is nothing like the womanish domination of the Catholic Mass.
My "rant"? I went easy on you Supine. I've seen some of your other posts on other threads. But anyhoo, YOU were the one that brought the Catholic Church and your "misguided" criticisms of the Church onto this thread. I simply responded.

Woodrow - feel free to delete both mine and Supine's exchange. I've got no problem with that.

Supine, start your other thread. I won't be playing your reindeer games today. I've got to get myself off to mass. You have a blessed Sunday now, you hear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam