Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM

78 posts, read 274,764 times

Advertisements

According to the Quran (Buraq) and Islam, Muhammad flew to heaven with a winged horse. Do Muslims really believe that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
We do believe Muhammad(saws) was carried to a heaven by a creature of some type. It was something Muhammad(saws) had never seen before and never saw again. We do not know what it was except it was sent by God(swt). No where did Muhammad(saws) call it a winged horse.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 PM

^ thanks. But according to Burak and Sura it was a winged horse with female face.

What about when Muhammad split the moon in half?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM

This is what I watched....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGgw9YvXK-A

Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaly View Post
^ thanks. But according to Burak and Sura it was a winged horse with female face.

What about when Muhammad split the moon in half?
The creature was called a Buraq.

A surah is a book (Chapter of the Qur'an) The "Night Journey is mentioned briefly in Surah 17 in ayyat 1 (The first line)

Quote:
1. Glory to ((Allah)) Who did take His servant for a Journey by night from the Sacred Mosque to the farthest Mosque, whose precincts We did bless,- in order that We might show him some of Our Signs: for He is the One Who heareth and seeth (all things).
It was called the Buraq in one hadith

Quote:
[What is a "Buraq" (isn't this interesting?)

Posted on Mon 15 Sep 2008 08:58:43 AM CDT by Melpomene
The Buraq (Arabic: البُراق al-buraaq, meaning lightning, also means the element boron; Turkish: Burak), is according to Islamic tradition a creature from the heavens that carried Muhammad from earth to heaven and back during the Isra and Miraj (Night Journey). An excerpt from a Sahih Muslim hadith describes a buraq:
“I was brought by the Buraq, which is an animal white and long, larger than a donkey but smaller than a mule, who would place its hoof at a distance equal to the range of vision.”
SOURCE

It was never described as a winged horce or having a human face in the Qur'an or hadith

Quote:
While the Buraq is almost always portrayed with a human face in far-eastern and Persian art, no Hadiths or early Islamic references allude to it having a humanoid face. This, which found its way into Indian and Persian Islamic art, may have been influenced by a misrepresentation or translation from Arabic to Persian of texts and stories describing the winged steed as a "... beautiful faced creature."
An excerpt from a translation of Sahih al-Bukhari describes Al-Buraq:
"... Then a white animal which was smaller than a mule and bigger than a donkey was brought to me." ... "The animal's step (was so wide that it) reached the farthest point within the reach of the animal's sight..."
Muhammad al-Bukhari, Sahih al-Bukhari[1]
Another description of the Buraq:
Then he [Gabriel] brought the Buraq, handsome-faced and bridled, a tall, white beast, bigger than the donkey but smaller than the mule. He could place his hooves at the farthest boundary of his gaze. He had long ears. Whenever he faced a mountain his hind legs would extend, and whenever he went downhill his front legs would extend. He had two wings on his thighs which lent strength to his legs. He bucked when Muhammad came to mount him. The angel Jibril (Gabriel) put his hand on his mane and said: "Are you not ashamed, O Buraq? By Allah, no-one has ridden you in all creation more dear to Allah than he is." Hearing this he was so ashamed that he sweated until he became soaked, and he stood still so that the Prophet mounted him.[2]
SOURCE

Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 AM

204 posts, read 351,058 times
I could never believe a thing like that unless I saw it with my own two eyes. Woodrow, were there any witnesses that actually saw Mohammed fly to heaven?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM

762 posts, read 1,216,062 times
Not possible to go to heaven and return alive to earth. Besides what was to be gained from the experience? I think it was more likely to be a dream or vision. Mohammed had lots of dreams and visions. Is it possible to have a witness to a dream or vision? I would say no, because it's in ones mind and there is no way another is privy to ones inner most working of ones mind.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Not possible to go to heaven and return alive to earth..
it was performed by the ability of Allah.

how did Jesus go up to heaven ?

how will he come down to earth ?

how did Moses split the sea?

your reaction is similar to a reaction happened from the non believers more than 1400 years in the era of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) .
In one night the prophet was taken in a journey by angel Gabriel on a white heavenly horse named Al-Buraq
He was taking from the holy mosque in Makkah to the holy mosque in Jerusalem and then from Jerusalem he was ascended to Heaven and talked to Allah in a long detailed story.
In the next morning he was brought back to Makkah.
In that era the journey from Makkah to Jerusalem takes one month by camels and one month to return back.
In the morning the impact of this exciting and amazing and miracle journey put a noticeable feeling in the face of the prophet and one of the non believers leaders called Abu Jahal was passing by him and notice that feeling on the face of the prophet and he asked him about any new things and the prophet told him that he went to Jerusalem last night , (he just told him this part and he did not tell him about the journey to heaven).

and Abu Jahal said him and in the morning you are within us ,
the prophet said yes and Abu Jahal became very happy because he felt that finally got something on the prophet that will destroy his claims and that will make him a liar,
then Abu Jahal called the people and said to them look what Muhammad is saying that he went to Jerusalem and returned in one day and we beat the livers of the camels one month to go and one month to return.
The people did not believe the prophet and some of the believers they apostasy .
Then they went to Abu Bakr the best friend of the prophet and he was the first man to be a Muslim and the first one who believed in Muhammad and they told him about this unbelievable story then Abu Bakr said
If Muhammad said that then I believe him , I believe him in something faster than that , I believe in the word comes from Allah in heaven to the earth in one hour.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 AM

762 posts, read 1,216,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
it was performed by the ability of Allah.

how did Jesus go up to heaven ?

how will he come down to earth ?

how did Moses split the sea?

your reaction is similar to a reaction happened from the non believers more than 1400 years in the era of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) .
In one night the prophet was taken in a journey by angel Gabriel on a white heavenly horse named Al-Buraq
He was taking from the holy mosque in Makkah to the holy mosque in Jerusalem and then from Jerusalem he was ascended to Heaven and talked to Allah in a long detailed story.
In the next morning he was brought back to Makkah.
In that era the journey from Makkah to Jerusalem takes one month by camels and one month to return back.
In the morning the impact of this exciting and amazing and miracle journey put a noticeable feeling in the face of the prophet and one of the non believers leaders called Abu Jahal was passing by him and notice that feeling on the face of the prophet and he asked him about any new things and the prophet told him that he went to Jerusalem last night , (he just told him this part and he did not tell him about the journey to heaven).

and Abu Jahal said him and in the morning you are within us ,
the prophet said yes and Abu Jahal became very happy because he felt that finally got something on the prophet that will destroy his claims and that will make him a liar,
then Abu Jahal called the people and said to them look what Muhammad is saying that he went to Jerusalem and returned in one day and we beat the livers of the camels one month to go and one month to return.
The people did not believe the prophet and some of the believers they apostasy .
Then they went to Abu Bakr the best friend of the prophet and he was the first man to be a Muslim and the first one who believed in Muhammad and they told him about this unbelievable story then Abu Bakr said
If Muhammad said that then I believe him , I believe him in something faster than that , I believe in the word comes from Allah in heaven to the earth in one hour.
That's not the point... I accept if it happened it would be by the grace of God. I am questioning the reason why it allegedly happened, Christ death and resurrection the reason why has been explained, Christ's return the reason why has been explained, Moses parting of the Sea the reason why has been explained.

For what purpose did Mohammed fly to heaven on a horse or similar creature? God does nothing without a purpose.

Curious.. Why did Abu Jahal wish to prove Mohammed a liar?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
That's not the point... I accept if it happened it would be by the grace of God. I am questioning the reason why it allegedly happened, Christ death and resurrection the reason why has been explained, Christ's return the reason why has been explained, Moses parting of the Sea the reason why has been explained.

For what purpose did Mohammed fly to heaven on a horse or similar creature? God does nothing without a purpose.

Curious.. Why did Abu Jahal wish to prove Mohammed a liar?
Just answering "Why did Abu Jahal wish to prove Mohammed a liar?"

Abu Jahal was a leader of the Quaraish. He was an avid enemy of Muhammad(saws) and tried to stop the spread of Islam in Arabia.

A few Links about Abu Jahal

Amr ibn Hish

Quote:
  • Abu Jahal’s actual name was Amr ibn Hisham but he was commonly known as Abu Hakam (“Father of Wisdom”) among the Quraysh as he was considered a wise man. His relentless hostility and belligerence towards Islam earned him the name Abu Jahal (Father of Ignorance) among the Muslims. He was a member of the Banu Makhzum clan of the Quraysh.
  • Abu Jahal was not a real uncle of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) [not his father’s real brother] but his father’s cousin. He was a staunch polytheist and greatly disliked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him), taking any opportunity to rebuke and publicly humiliate him.
  • He was one of the greatest persecutors of the Muslims. When a Muslim convert was discovered among the hierarchy of a tribe, Abu Jahal would reprimand the convert and then ridicule him in front of his fellow tribesmen so he would lost their respect. When he discovered a trader had converted to Islam he gave orders that no one should engage in business with him. As a result, the convert trader was unable to sell his wares and became impoverished.
  • Convert slaves belonging to the polytheist Quraysh received the harshest punishment. Abu Jahal beat Harithah bint al-Muammil (may Allah be pleased with her), one such slave, for her conversion to such an extent that she lost her eyesight. He attacked Sumayyah bint Khayyaṭ, the mother of Ammar (may Allah be pleased with him) and inflicted on her mortal wounds by stabbing her with a spear in her private parts. This blessed lady was the first to meet martyrdom in the cause of Islam.
  • When Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) embraced Islam, he was determined to announce his new faith to the Prophet’s (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) enemies and the first place he went to was the house of Abu Jahal. Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) knocked on his door, Abu Jahal came out and greeted him,“Welcome! What brings you here?”
    “I have come to tell you that I have embraced the religion of Allah and His Messenger, Muhammad,” Umar calmly stated.
    Abu Jahal heard this and disgustedly said, “May God ruin you and what you have brought!” and slammed the door shut.
SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam