U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,174,182 times

Advertisements

i don't think this is necessarily a religious issue ...or atleast a issue only pertaining to islam...christianity says women are what brought sin to the earth...and alot of religions portray females to be evil or dirty or sinful.ect ect...this is result of culture..just like back in the early stages of our society women had no rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,808,697 times
allah truth wrote:
Quote:
i don't think this is necessarily a religious issue ...or atleast a issue only pertaining to islam...christianity says women are what brought sin to the earth...and alot of religions portray females to be evil or dirty or sinful.ect ect...this is result of culture..just like back in the early stages of our society women had no rights
I agree with part of what you're saying but Saudi Arabia is one of the most prominent muslim nations in the world and they're using Islam as the basis for the treatment of women so in that sense it's very much a religious issue. It will probably be generations before the nations of the Middle East such as Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia ever adopt democratic values.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM

613 posts, read 1,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
allah truth wrote:

I agree with part of what you're saying but Saudi Arabia is one of the most prominent muslim nations in the world and they're using Islam as the basis for the treatment of women so in that sense it's very much a religious issue. It will probably be generations before the nations of the Middle East such as Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia ever adopt democratic values.
i think it will probably be generations before any nation including the us adopts true and real democratic values..infact i don't believe it possible..i guess that belongs in another forum though
im saying even if saudi arabia wasn't muslim...and say christian ...they would still have the same views....it seems in most societies theyve had simular views on women at one time regardless of what religion was mostprominent or even forced upon its people

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,283,652 times
When I was deployed to Kuwait we were required to get off base driver's licenses in case we had to meet an airplane at the Kuwait City Airport instead of our base (extreme weather usually the cause). We had to go to a driving course and something they made imperative there was that if you witness an accident and someone appears as if they are dying or in need of CPR, you are not allowed to do anything for 15 minutes. In fact, we could end up in jail over there for doing so. Their thought process is such that it is Allah's will if you survive or not, and that you (even the paramedics) must wait 15 minutes prior to performing any sort of medical treatment. This is to ensure that Allah's will is not interfered with.

So, if you're ever in a Muslim country and witness a car flip over 3 times and bodies flying everywhere, you can call the paramedics but don't do anything for 15 minutes or you can end up in jail. If the paramedics are right behind the car they'll get out and wait the appropriate time before doing anything. Religion's great isn't it?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 AM

118 posts, read 224,906 times
Default Please understand the news ....

I have never been convinced by what they say does not believe this talk, talking to you from the reality of your life, not talking from the reality of the experience of Muslims themselves, and how to deal with women in the Land of Islam generally, and in particular Saudi Arabia.

I am a Muslim and I swear to you that Muslim women very, very respectable.
They find a good husband and father who cared to find out that the married, and found the brother, who assisted in education, attended the markets to buy goods and respect all of us, because they are the mother, sister, wife, daughter, Everything ......... .

I do not know the extent of credibility of this news from the BBC. I think you have contributed to them wrong.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,813,517 times
On the other hand here in the Netherlands the 1st Polder Mosque has been opened by the Dutch Muslims.
This is the 1st mosque in the whole world where man and women pray in the same room and where is preached in Dutch because many of the Dutch Muslims don't speak Arab that well.
Also the denomination of the Islam has become irrelevant in this mosque.

I'm glad to see that the Dutch tolerance has made it possible for the Muslims to evolve differently here then they would in another Islam nation.
The fact that men and women are treated equally here obviously has affected the Dutch Muslims positively.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
On the other hand here in the Netherlands the 1st Polder Mosque has been opened by the Dutch Muslims.
This is the 1st mosque in the whole world where man and women pray in the same room and where is preached in Dutch because many of the Dutch Muslims don't speak Arab that well.

I'm glad to see that the Dutch tolerance has made it possible for the Muslims to evolve differently here then they would in another Islam nation.
The fact that men and women are treated equally here obviously has affected the Dutch Muslims positively.
Well done much.....
Thank ,you....

Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Not much, but they are praying, working sin, away from prayer

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,996,310 times
Quote:

Tom Firedman (author of World is FLat etc) of NYTimes has written about the cultural impact a society has had on some muslims. He is prone to occassional hyperbole, but more often than not, makes sense. He pointed out that 3 of the largest 4 muslim countries do not produce any terrorists (Indonesia, Bangladesh, India). Friedman went to India to talk to people in IT but stumbled across many muslims there and started to dig a bit. Per his book, the richest person in India is a muslim, as is the father of the Indian atomic bomb. Most muslim fundamentalists phooh-phooh this nuclear scientist by calling him not a real muslim. Turns out, this scientist also became the president of India (just retired last year) - important in a country of 80% Hindus. Friedman thinks that a lot of this is because of the influence of societies. You should also see in some Indian newspapers how muslim actresses launch into mullahs there. About 3 yrs ago, at the time the World-flat book was written, an Indian mullah had issued a fatwah on an Indian muslim female tennis player (within the top 30 worldwide at that time) because of the "inappropriate dress" she wore -the girl continued to play. Many muslims take risks - ask Rushdie. Your Dutch example corroborates the thought that progressive societies do make a difference.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,813,517 times
My theory that the Polder Mosque has been a success here is because we give the Islam the freedom to change or not to change.
Of course the native Dutch would like that the Islam men and women pray in the same room etc but we do not make it a law or call them ignorant for not doing so.
Except Theo van Gogh and Pim Fortuyn actually did just that.
But this is inherent in the Dutch Polder Politics where we are used to say anything we want and we just keep talking until we reach an agreement (which in all honesty could take years).
It just took the Dutch Islam a few years to realise that the statements by Theo and Pim aren't personal, only confrontational; to force the Dutch Islam to evaluate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or