Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,176,206 times

Advertisements

Have u read the Quran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,997,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Have u read the Quran?
In Arabic at least once a month every month since May 2005. I am doing my best to be Hafiz.

Prior to accepting Islam I read the Qur'an many times both in Arabic and English translations. My goal then was to use it as a tool to convert Muslims to Christianity. I nit picked looking for violence, contradictions and errors. As a Christian I found plenty. However, after learning to read every ayyat in context of the Surah and knowing the original audience of the Surah, I see I was mistaken.

One thing I learned early is the Qur'an is not a book of Commands. It is essential for a person to learn the History of each Surah, including but not limited to When it was Revealed, who was the Audience being addressed., the purpose of the Surah. Also with the knowledge that no translation is considered to be the Qur'an. Every Translation contains errors and the interpretation of the Translator. If a person needs to rely on translations it is best they use at least 3 Different ones.

When an Imam recites from the Qur'an it is required to recite a minimum of 9 ayyats(Lines) or the full surah if it contains less than 9 lines. No ayyat should be taken as being a commandment. Some of the biggest causes of misunderstandings are poor translations and taking a single ayyat out of context as a commandment.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM

To clarify this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In Arabic at least once a month every month since May 2005. I am doing my best to be Hafiz.

I make it a habit to read one Juz every day. A Juz is 1/30th of the Qur'an. By reading a Juz every day I read the entire Qur'an at least 12 times a year.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM

121 posts, read 135,758 times
Quote:

Prior to accepting Islam I read the Qur'an many times both in Arabic and English translations. My goal then was to use it as a tool to convert Muslims to Christianity. I nit picked looking for violence, contradictions and errors. As a Christian I found plenty. However, after learning to read every ayyat in context of the Surah and knowing the original audience of the Surah, I see I was mistaken.

One thing I learned early is the Qur'an is not a book of Commands. It is essential for a person to learn the History of each Surah, including but not limited to When it was Revealed, who was the Audience being addressed., the purpose of the Surah. Also with the knowledge that no translation is considered to be the Qur'an. Every Translation contains errors and the interpretation of the Translator. If a person needs to rely on translations it is best they use at least 3 Different ones.

When an Imam recites from the Qur'an it is required to recite a minimum of 9 ayyats(Lines) or the full surah if it contains less than 9 lines. No ayyat should be taken as being a commandment. Some of the biggest causes of misunderstandings are poor translations and taking a single ayyat out of context as a commandment.
Woodrow,
I am going to quote this post on another forum, it's so beautiful the way you explained it. it should be written with a golden ink

Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,628,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
And you base this understanding on ...

on this verse

Matthew 6:9
“This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,

Did Jesus mean Father literally or the god ?

also he said our father that means we are all sons of the god unless he did not mean literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Truthfully, yes He did!
The Jews had been after Him for months to tell them straight-up, straight forwardly whether or not He was the literal Son of God. !

Did Jesus Claim to be God when he said i am ? - YouTube

Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 AM

64 posts, read 88,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Have u read the Quran?
Ofcourse , so many times . Also I was not just reading , I have researched the meanings of words and continue to research . Its not a simple book .

Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,044,940 times
Thanks NABILBB and Woodrow, your responses are appreciated. I often have questions about the practical matters of a faith. It's nice to have these forums to get the answers.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,292,791 times
Quote:

Many Protestant ministers have converted to Catholicism when looking for evidence to discredit Catholicism. These things happen.

I see nothing wrong with Islam!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 AM

64 posts, read 88,504 times
Any question ?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife95 View Post
Any question ?

As Salaamu Alaikum,

I believe if you check through the old threads you will find several threads similar to this one have been started, But it seems most of the viewers still go ahead and ask question as a new thread.

But have Sabr, Insha Allah people will ask questions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam