Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 PM

505 posts, read 574,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife95 View Post
Hi , salam alaikum ,

People can ask any questions in their minds and I will try to answer with my broken English.
When exactly do Muslims believe the Bible was corrupted and by whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Why don't Islamic religious songs have instrumentation?

And how does Islam see alcohol, caffeine, quat, painkillers, harder stimulants, and hallucinogenics?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Why don't Islamic religious songs have instrumentation?
Islam forbids all Music instruments except for the Drum and Duff. But I must point out this is a split belief among the Ulama.

Some scholars disagree and state there is no prohibition.

Some Sufi even use music instruments in the Mosque.

You will find a difference of opinion among us. For myself as a person who tries to follow the sunnah I avoid all things that use any music instruments. For the simple reason the companions of Muhammad(saws) did not use them. (However, it is a moot point as I am quite hard of hearing and can not tell if any song contains instrument music.) I can hear some voice, primarily low pitched ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
And how does Islam see alcohol, caffeine, quat, painkillers, harder stimulants, and hallucinogenics?
Anything that affects rational thinking is forbidden. That includes all intoxicants. However, if it is needed for medical purposes it is permitted to the extent necessary to preserve life. Many of us extend that to pain killers.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
When exactly do Muslims believe the Bible was corrupted and by whom?
By corruption that does not necessarily mean changed. Actually we are only speaking of 3 Books which are the Tauret (Torah), Zaboor(Book of Psalms) and Injil (Gospel of Jesus)

The remainder of the books in the bible are not scripture, not the word of God(swt) and were not changed but have always been in error.

The Injil was pretty much ignored and not preserved. Bits and pieces of it may still exist in pieces as actual Quotes of What Jesus(as) said.

The Zaboor and Tauret have parts that were lost in translation. Even Jews will admit that because of language changes they both contain words the actual meaning of is no longer known. Hebrew had pretty much stopped being used as a spoken language after the time of Isiah, being replaced by Aramaic, and by the 2nd Century AD had been lost as a spoken language. It has only recently been reconstructed, but there still remain words the original meaning for is no longer known.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 AM

762 posts, read 1,216,062 times
I would like to ask why do you think the Psalms were included in the Quran at all? Seeing as they are mostly poems meant to be set to music. Also the Book of Psalms in the Bible, I don't know if any in the collection of psalms included can be directly attributed to King David. Or are the psalms of the Quran different to the biblical book?

Bit like the mythical Injil, maybe the Zaboor is also an entirely different work supposedly based on previous biblical accounts but with no proof of when or where they were changed.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I would like to ask why do you think the Psalms were included in the Quran at all? Seeing as they are mostly poems meant to be set to music. Also the Book of Psalms in the Bible, I don't know if any in the collection of psalms included can be directly attributed to King David. Or are the psalms of the Quran different to the biblical book?

Bit like the mythical Injil, maybe the Zaboor is also an entirely different work supposedly based on previous biblical accounts but with no proof of when or where they were changed.
The Psalms are not included in the Qur'an.

We believe they were one of the 4 Scripture we know to have come from God(swt). There may even be other books given to other people besides the Jews, Christians, Sabians and Muslims, but as we were not told their names we assume they no longer exist.

Some of us do not believe the Zaboor(Pslams) was changed, but we no longer know the actual meanings of some of the words in them which has resulted in mistranslations and erroneous interpretations. That is a view I also hold.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM

505 posts, read 574,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
By corruption that does not necessarily mean changed. Actually we are only speaking of 3 Books which are the Tauret (Torah), Zaboor(Book of Psalms) and Injil (Gospel of Jesus)

The remainder of the books in the bible are not scripture, not the word of God(swt) and were not changed but have always been in error.

The Injil was pretty much ignored and not preserved. Bits and pieces of it may still exist in pieces as actual Quotes of What Jesus(as) said.

The Zaboor and Tauret have parts that were lost in translation. Even Jews will admit that because of language changes they both contain words the actual meaning of is no longer known. Hebrew had pretty much stopped being used as a spoken language after the time of Isiah, being replaced by Aramaic, and by the 2nd Century AD had been lost as a spoken language. It has only recently been reconstructed, but there still remain words the original meaning for is no longer known.
Woodrow- I was asking wildlife 95.
Please excuse yourself- you have high-jacked this thread from him.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Woodrow- I was asking wildlife 95.
Please excuse yourself- you have high-jacked this thread from him.
I apologize. I did not see him return after posting his last post. So I felt obligated to answer. If he differs he will offer his opinion. You will find it s common for Muslims to have different views.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
any one can answer based on the knowledge and believes he has regarding the Question
and some times the answers have big conflict and that means more research and study is required .

Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Woodrow LI is like the lone wolf here on this forum, but his replies are great. When you have someone like him as a representative for Islam, it gains a much more respectable stance in others eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam